DELETE

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The old lady (no pics) and I are visiting Boston in late June. We will fly into to Boston/Logan spend 2-3 days in Boston, then take the train to NY. Any recommendations? Cheers and a guiding/walking tour of the freedom trail are on the list, what else? No desire to attend a Red Sox's game.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've never had any desire to go to Cheers, but much enjoyed a drink and the Bell in Hand Tavern which is the oldest in the USA. Whale watching cruise and the aquarium & science museum are nice. There's a good whaling museum in New Bedford just over an hour away.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've done that trip. The train ride was one of the highlights. Eat at the Union Oyster House for the food and the history. Opened in 1826. "The Union Oyster House Restaurant is the oldest restaurant in Boston and the oldest continuously operating restaurant in America."

We also hit Mike's Pastries, Harvard Walking Tour and went to Salem by train one day(I don't recall anything special about Salem).

If you haven't already, download the Transit app and use it in Boston and New York for getting around by bus/subway.

In New York, highly recommend the Greenwich food tour by Food Tours of NY.

ETA: That's one of the few DAC songs you can still play and not be afraid of what he might say.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I've never had any desire to go to Cheers, but much enjoyed a drink and the Bell in Hand Tavern which is the oldest in the USA. Whale watching cruise and the aquarium & science museum are nice. There's a good whaling museum in New Bedford just over an hour away.
So I’ll admit we didn’t care to go to Cheers when we went for the UMASS game either but we were walking to a restaurant from Back Bay and had a few hours to kill so we decided to pop in for the hell of it. I was surprised that the drink prices were probably the cheapest we paid at any bar while in Boston outside of McGreevy’s which is closed now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login