Dellenger on the coming "Great Split" in CFB

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
All the warning signs are there. People are putting their heads in the sand. There is a non-zero chance that many schools will be priced out of whatever the next iteration of the NCAA is. We'd be foolish not to consider ourselves at risk and prepare accordingly.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
All the warning signs are there. People are putting their heads in the sand. There is a non-zero chance that many schools will be priced out of whatever the next iteration of the NCAA is. We'd be foolish not to consider ourselves at risk and prepare accordingly.
If you make the cut, will still have to shift resources to include money to pay the athletes. Its why spending $35m on The Hump makes much more sense than $200m plus for a new arena.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
If you make the cut, will still have to shift resources to include money to pay the athletes. Its why spending $35m on The Hump makes much more sense than $200m plus for a new arena.
We should be trying to reduce sports if we can. Sounds harsh but we should only compete in those sports for which we are required to compete by conference rules or Title IX. Anything else needs to be dropped. We should be taking austerity measures now so that we can stay in the big leagues in Football, Men's Basketball & Baseball.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
We should be trying to reduce sports if we can. Sounds harsh but we should only compete in those sports for which we are required to compete by conference rules or Title IX. Anything else needs to be dropped. We should be taking austerity measures now so that we can stay in the big leagues in Football, Men's Basketball & Baseball.
Out of curiosity, which of the three men’s sports that you didn’t list are a huge drain on the budget?

Current Men’s Sports
Football
Basketball
Baseball
Tennis
Golf
Track and Field

Current Women’s Sports
Basketball
Softball
Volleyball
Soccer
Golf
Tennis
Cross Country
Track and Field

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Not until we have to, but we have far less exposure than others in our conference.

This will also kill the US Olympic teams when the time comes.

Reactions: patdog

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Out of curiosity, which of the three men’s sports that you didn’t list are a huge drain on the budget?

Current Men’s Sports
Football
Basketball
Baseball
Tennis
Golf
Track and Field

Current Women’s Sports
Basketball
Softball
Volleyball
Soccer
Golf
Tennis
Cross Country
Track and Field
Will we have to compensate the participants of those sports? Even if we don't, we almost certainly will have to compensate the participants of the revenue generating sports. So that means there's less money to go around for everyone. We should be driving all the revenue we can legally drive back into the sports that keep the lights on. If we want to live in the neighborhood we're accustomed to, there are luxuries we'll have to go without.

Just put a random dollar figure on every athlete we have. Then subtract that from the athletic budget. Let's say it's 50K an athlete on top of the scholarship, room, board, etc. Will that cut our budget in half? by two thirds? I don't know, but I do know if we can see it coming and we aren't preparing we're idiots.

Reactions: Luka Legend

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Will we have to compensate the participants of those sports? Even if we don't, we almost certainly will have to compensate the participants of the revenue generating sports. So that means there's less money to go around for everyone. We should be driving all the revenue we can legally drive back into the sports that keep the lights on. If we want to live in the neighborhood we're accustomed to, there are luxuries we'll have to go without.

Just put a random dollar figure on every athlete we have. Then subtract that from the athletic budget. Let's say it's 50K an athlete on top of the scholarship, room, board, etc. Will that cut our budget in half? by two thirds? I don't know, but I do know if we can see it coming and we aren't preparing we're idiots.
Isn’t football the only sport that creates revenue? Maybe men’s basketball? Why would there be revenue sharing with athletes in sports that don’t earn a profit? Honest question.

My opinion is that paying players is going to break the system for all but about 20 schools roughly and State isn’t one of those 20 schools. Someone might be able to provide info to back that up or disprove it.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
The writing has been on the wall for awhile. It's just a question, of who wants to stay in, and do they have alumni and resources to feed it.

Last edited:

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Isn’t football the only sport that creates revenue? Maybe men’s basketball? Why would there be revenue sharing with athletes in sports that don’t earn a profit? Honest question.
That's the rub. The wokes aren't going to like it when women's sports get cut because of this. But they were the ones clamoring for paying players when it was the "new plantation" or whatever. Well now that we have to compensate the athletes, that money has to come from somewhere and it isn't going to be as simple as, "well, don't pay the coaches as much." College sports is a business now but the people moving it that way didn't go to business school. The inevitable fall out would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m worried this is where MSU gets screwed. Who knows what conference realignment might look like after all this.
I expect the SEC & Big 10 will look pretty close to what they look like for 2024 until they can add a few ACC schools in the early 2030s.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
That's the rub. The wokes aren't going to like it when women's sports get cut because of this. But they were the ones clamoring for paying players when it was the "new plantation" or whatever. Well now that we have to compensate the athletes, that money has to come from somewhere and it isn't going to be as simple as, "well, don't pay the coaches as much." College sports is a business now but the people moving it that way didn't go to business school. The inevitable fall out would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.
Well said!

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
The mountain west will be the best and closest thing to what actual cfb used to look like, going forward.

JoeFuller

Oct 2, 2023
Iteration? Are you a Computer Scientist?

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Will college baseball make it? Maybe 10 teams in the nation turn a profit and not a large one.

AT4 Dawg

Sep 18, 2012
In the article it mentions “50-70 teams” that are a part of this new NCAA model which makes me feel very good about our prospects of being relevant

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
In the article it mentions “50-70 teams” that are a part of this new NCAA model which makes me feel very good about our prospects of being relevant
This is from the NCAA president’s mouth. Pretty significant. There won’t be a breakaway from the NCAA. It will be a reorganization.

CDawg08

Oct 5, 2022
Wonder if the roster size is about to be reduced? When players start cutting into the schools bottom lines as employees will the schools want to cut the fat?

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Wonder if the roster size is about to be reduced? When players start cutting into the schools bottom lines as employees will the schools want to cut the fat?
I See another problem. They are trying to give the players a cut but not have them become employees. So in they plan, they not only get the free education, room and board and a school supplied stipend, they get paid to play without having to pay employment taxes. How nice for them.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021

We already sponsor the minimum number of sports required by the NCAA to be a D1 FBS member. There is nothing that can be dropped unless we want to drop down to D1 FCS

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
"the House case is much more significant, as it opens the door for direct pay to athletes by seeking the elimination of the NCAA’s NIL rules. One SEC president describes its outcome as financially “catastrophic.”

I will take one guess..........

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
WHen I read the headline I figured this article would be about a break up of the conferences. Especially considering that the Maryland AD is quoted and Maryland is winless v Michigan and OhState since joining the B1G.

I wonder if schools like Maryland will enjoy a fat tv check and passing that along to athletes only to never win a conference championship and lose every single time to MI and OSU. While they eat bread crumbs in palatial offices financed from years gone by or.....say forget it all and dip out to a lesser status.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
We already sponsor the minimum number of sports required by the NCAA to be a D1 FBS member. There is nothing that can be dropped unless we want to drop down to D1 FCS
Those minimums could very easily change in the reorganization. The money to pay players is going to come from somewhere, and the Big 10 AD is quoted as saying the effect on the "Olympic sports" would be "devastating" and "nuclear."

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is from the NCAA president’s mouth. Pretty significant. There won’t be a breakaway from the NCAA. It will be a reorganization.
Yep. I've said consistently that this oncoming demise of everything we know is greatly overexaggerated by the overly negative mouth-breathers.

First of all, I think this class action lawsuit is settled for much less than people think, or thrown out completely.

Secondly, I do not see the evidence of the emergence of a smaller blue blood league. If there was, we would have stuck with the 4-team playoff. 12-teams is too many for a 32-team league. 12 is about right for an 80-team league or so.

And finally, the most unclear part of this is the amateurism thing. It hasn't changed yet, so I don't see that it does. It sucks because we're all still on the hook for NIL. This is the hardest part to wrap your mind around. And if it does change, then it means MAJOR changes for the school - it's the real bomb on the landscape, like others have said, regarding women's sports, etc. People act like NIL was a big change - it really wasn't - it was already happening. The portal was a bigger change, but mainly for the coaches, who get paid big anyway.

They can't say they are a business, but then employ woke stuff like keeping sports that don't make money because of Title 9. That's why I don't think this goes anywhere. Schools are there to provide opportunities, not make profit.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wonder if schools like Maryland will enjoy a fat tv check and passing that along to athletes only to never win a conference championship and lose every single time to MI and OSU. While they eat bread crumbs in palatial offices financed from years gone by or.....say forget it all and dip out to a lesser status.
Sounds like we're in the same position.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sounds like we're in the same position.
To be honest, I'd almost rather they did break off into a 32-team super league. We could be very competitive at the 2nd level against schools like Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri, and most of the ACC and Big 12.

Reactions: HuskyBDawg

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
I See another problem. They are trying to give the players a cut but not have them become employees. So in they plan, they not only get the free education, room and board and a school supplied stipend, they get paid to play without having to pay employment taxes. How nice for them.
Then if this is true they will be considered a self employee, and have to pay their own payroll/FICA taxes. Hire CPAs.. life is going to get real, quick.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Secondly, I do not see the evidence of the emergence of a smaller blue blood league. If there was, we would have stuck with the 4-team playoff. 12-teams is too many for a 32-team league. 12 is about right for an 80-team league or so.
NFL has 14 team playoff in a 32 team league.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
NFL has 14 team playoff in a 32 team league.
Really? I mean really? This is your response? Do I have to explain to you that the NCAA is not the NFL? How about you compare to the rest of the actual NCAA?

This is why we can't have decent discourse in this country. Some of the opinions are just asinine.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Really? I mean really? This is your response? Do I have to explain to you that the NCAA is not the NFL? How about you compare to the rest of the actual NCAA?

This is why we can't have decent discourse in this country. Some of the opinions are just asinine.
LOL, good Lord you are 17ing nuts.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020

What’s your point? You clearly stated something wouldn’t work and the NFL, literally where everybody playing NCAA football is trying to get to, has 2 more teams in the post season than what you said wouldn’t work.

Or do you need somebody to explain it to you in a different way that you might understand?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What’s your point? You clearly stated something wouldn’t work and the NFL, literally where everybody playing NCAA football is trying to get to, has 2 more teams in the post season than what you said wouldn’t work.

Or do you need somebody to explain it to you in a different way that you might understand?
The NFL is the NFL. Professional football business. It's a totally different animal than the NCAA. Literally nothing about it is the same except the fact that they play football.

Look at every other division of NCAA football/sports, and look at the ratio of teams to playoff/tournament spots. That's your indicator.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login