Dellenger SI SEC NIL article: “Let’s be honest, we are all money laundering.”

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Would love to hear Charlie’s take on where the state of MS stands with this. On one hand, it’s incredibly hard as a fan to watch our football recruiting suffer without feeling like much of it is self inflicted wounds from our own state legislature.

On the other hand, I get the concerns over the foundation’s non-profit status, the dreaded “employment” word, and complications with Title IX. In all honesty, I can’t believe that the Title IX crowd hasn’t been screaming about NIL yet

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Unless Congress does something, I fully expect the MS Legislature to change the law to mirror Texas' the next session.

Reactions: aTotal360

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Would love to hear Charlie’s take on where the state of MS stands with this. On one hand, it’s incredibly hard as a fan to watch our football recruiting suffer without feeling like much of it is self inflicted wounds from our own state legislature.

On the other hand, I get the concerns over the foundation’s non-profit status, the dreaded “employment” word, and complications with Title IV. In all honesty, I can’t believe that the Title IV crowd hasn’t been screaming about NIL yet
Charlie seems like a good guy, but you know the folks who run the collectives in Oxford, BR, Auburn, etc., are more than willing to roll around in the mud and play dirty, I don't think Charlie is the kind who will do that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The sooner this is all brought into the athletic departments, the better. The AD is right. The NCAA is pretending we have amateurism and there's no pay for play, while the schools use the NIL cooperatives to launder the money and pay the players. Put it all under the athletic departments and make the players W-2 employees. Gets more money to the players and less to the middle men and makes cheating irrelevant since paying players directly is legal.

Reactions: aTotal360

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
In all honesty, I can’t believe that the Title IX crowd hasn’t been screaming about NIL yet
I think it's two things:
1. It's not direct 'pay to play' yet. If it truly ever become employment, then I think you'll really start seeing those concerns.
2. A lot of female athletes have been able to monetize their social media followings into huge NIL deals (i.e. Olivia Dunne, Cavinder Twins, Hailey Van Lith, etc.), so in that way, NIL has been good for female athletes.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
1. It's not direct 'pay to play' yet. If it truly ever become employment, then I think you'll really start seeing those concerns.
When the direct employment, collective bargaining and revenue sharing on football kicks in, that is when its over because the money that once went to support track and field, softball, soccer, etc will now go to football players.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To me, the article and all the state laws just reference small things, that don't seem to matter. The ya-ya-ing is just petty nonsense. Bottom line, if you want to pay players, you can. This article is just summer fodder.

NIL will continue until people get tired of doing it, we hit a recession, etc. I've said all along, people have been doing it for 50 years. There's no morality in college sports. The very few real companies who will now pay a player legally, is doing it for a service and the actual marketing it can bring, i.e. these are the few and far between Johnny Footballs of the world.

Who really cares? Why would I jump off the college wagon? Our basketball and baseball NIL is fine, and we can compete there. I personally think what we need to be doing, is a wholesale different approach to football. Let's face facts, we've never been consistently good at it. My thoughts are, what can we learn from our most successful stints in the modern era? Early 80s Bellard, late 90s Sherrill, and the Mullen 'up' years, and even really the Leach turnaround after the Mullen/Moorhead recruiting drop off. These are the things I see:

- A niche offense (Emory had the wishbone, Jackie had waves of huge lineman and tailbacks, with a mobile QB, Mullen was the QB whisperer and could find and develop that, with simplified offenses, Leach brought the Air Raid);
- Strategic recruiting based around our local players and JUCOs or now, transfer portal. Every successful coach has done this, we can tout playing time, a chance at the SEC, etc.;
- Focus our small NIL on keeping our guys here once they've proven they can play;
- The few high schoolers our boosters want to pay, need to be on the defensive side of the ball, that's our history, good defense;
- Be flashy, change uniforms, do weird things, hashtags, chrome/matte helmets, whatever.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think it's two things:
2. A lot of female athletes have been able to monetize their social media followings into huge NIL deals (i.e. Olivia Dunne, Cavinder Twins, Hailey Van Lith, etc.), so in that way, NIL has been good for female athletes.
Unfortunately, you-know-what sells on social media. Some of these female collegiate "influencers" are putting themselves in jeopardy with what and how they post. For them its simple. The hotter you are and the more skin you show, the more followers you get, and the more money you make.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
On the other hand, I get the concerns over the foundation’s non-profit status, the dreaded “employment” word, and complications with Title IX. In all honesty, I can’t believe that the Title IX crowd hasn’t been screaming about NIL yet
Title IX has to do with federal funding. As far as I know, there's no federal funding going to NIL cooperatives. At least not legitimately.

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Women aren't excluded from NIL so why would there be a Title IX issue? You can't make a business or individual provide funds for women. If the University gets involved I can see it becoming a problem but as long as its private I wouldn't think it would matter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Unfortunately, you-know-what sells on social media. Some of these female collegiate "influencers" are putting themselves in jeopardy with what and how they post. For them its simple. The hotter you are and the more skin you show, the more followers you get, and the more money you make.
Agreed. It ain't much different than what was already all over the internet, they now just have the school's platform to help them 'do their thing'.

Guess everybody has to make their own choice regarding how they'll make money and create a branding. Another thing MSU should do is steer away from the OBVIOUS attention seekers, especially in football. I bet these are the same types that we used to refer to as the flippers and what not. Character matters.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What is the market value for a brand to use a professional player's NIL? Wheaties box, copper fit, etc? And what is the marketing reach, marketing spend for the athelete's NIL associated to their brand? There has to be some sort of ACTUAL use of NIL and not just money laundering.

It's either that or salary caps and the draft

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Women aren't excluded from NIL so why would there be a Title IX issue? You can't make a business or individual provide funds for women. If the University gets involved I can see it becoming a problem but as long as its private I wouldn't think it would matter
I think that’s the exact issue. Right now, Title IX isn’t an NIL issue for most schools because their NIL collective isn’t operating under a university arm. Changing that solves a couple problems by making university NIL initiatives a much more cohesive process, but it also opens up a giant can of worms with Title IX.

As we all know, Title IX doesn’t ask for just a piece of the pie. It demands equal incentives

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think that’s the exact issue. Right now, Title IX isn’t an NIL issue for most schools because their NIL collective isn’t operating under a university arm. Changing that solves a couple problems by making university NIL initiatives a much more cohesive process, but it also opens up a giant can of worms with Title IX.

As we all know, Title IX doesn’t ask for just a piece of the pie. It demands equal incentives
Yep, and you know what will happen. If the players become 'employees', then they ALL will get equal pay across all sports, and NIL will also ABSOLUTELY NOT be abolished. We will end up with BOTH. That's how this ends if people keep pushing for all this collective bargaining and employee crap. So, basically greatly increased stipends, NIL and the portal.

I think the bigger thing is to just ban collectives, and focus on how the players must actually work to receive NIL. They'll still make it all legal, but just make it harder, i.e. the 'guardrails' everyone talks about. But there's no going backwards.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yes. It is. If it's not direct pay to play, there's no reason any school would have an NIL cooperative.
Today (and I mean today, May 30, 2023), the students either have their own independent deals with specific companies/brands/agencies or they are 1099 independent contractors of a non-profit or LLC that has no 'official' tie to the university. Neither the student nor the non-profit/LLC receive funds from the university. Past that, the NIL collectives are not 'technically' paying for the players to play. They're paying them for the rights to use their name, image, and likeness while they play.

What I'm talking about is if/when that veil is officially dropped and the students become true W-2 employees of the university or the collective, then it's truly direct pay to play.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
When the direct employment, collective bargaining and revenue sharing on football kicks in, that is when its over because the money that once went to support track and field, softball, soccer, etc will now go to football players.
And see... that's when I think Title IX becomes an issue. You can make the argument that the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, WNBA, NWSL, MLL, MLR, WPF, etc. are all different leagues with different pay structures, but I think it's going to be hard to make that distinction from one sport to the other within the same organization (the university).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What does this mean? Good looking, well proportioned women have been showing skin since long before the internet. Even now millions of these women show as much/more skin as Olivia Dunn for free. Surely you're not inferring they are putting themselves at increased risk to be assaulted or raped?

There's a very beautiful young lady that jogs on the street outside my neighborhood at dawn every morning, she wears the smallest amount of fabric I've ever seen and as far as I know she's not making a dime off showing her goods, she's as much at risk of being assaulted as anyone, and she'd doing it freely.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think it's two things:
It seems the ladies are largely the ones who can use NIL the way it should be used, which is a company hires you to advertise a product. I know some men have too, like Bryce young last year.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
What does this mean? Good looking, well proportioned women have been showing skin since long before the internet. Even now millions of these women show as much/more skin as Olivia Dunn for free. Surely you're not inferring they are putting themselves at increased risk to be assaulted or raped?

There's a very beautiful young lady that jogs on the street outside my neighborhood at dawn every morning, she wears the smallest amount of fabric I've ever seen and as far as I know she's not making a dime off showing her goods, she's as much at risk of being assaulted as anyone, and she'd doing it freely.
I am inferring they can be putting themselves at risk. You have way more faith in humanity than I do.

For a celebrity with security, it's one thing. For a kid going to school, it's another.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

I think Title IX crowd knows better. The only reason their programs exist in the first place are the men's sports and mostly just football. If they complain too much, Title IX will just be dismantled. And then there will be no where for women and men that identify as women to play.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login