Dellenger / Yahoo Podcast

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Dellenger, Forde and Wetzel talked about our job opening on their latest podcast. A couple of high points:

They’re pretty open about us struggling with NIL and funding in general. One of them said something like “Scott Stricklin was a MSU alumni and left, John Cohen was a MSU alumni and left that job - that tells you all you need to know about their struggles”. I thought that was interesting, because I don’t think that’s the perception among the fan base.

Dellenger says our job came up all summer as a possible opening. Says the contract was set up like a 1 year trial.

Deion is mentioned in some surprising ways too.

They also talk about Kiffin being the top A&M target. They mention how far behind OM is from Bama and UGA in talent even this year. Says Lane has to notice the same and it could be a factor. They also say that he actively pursued Auburn last year and got cold feet at the last minute.

A lot of info:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Ross also made a comment on T&L that MSU is the next to hardest place to win. Second only to Vandy. I call BS on that thinking. Sherrill and Merlinz proved the right coach can succeed here.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
they were incredulous about why we didn't go get Deion from JSU

I have been listening to him run his mouth since his playing days at Crab Leg Tech and would not be able to stand listening to him on a daily and/or weekly basis at MSU. Photos below are the Deion I think of when I hear his name. There was also the school he co-founded (Prime Prep) that was investigated by the FBI for misappropriation of funds to the tune of 400 computers that were received via a government grant and then sold for a profit instead of going to students. Or the $500,000 in funds earmarked for student meals that went missing. Or the $200,000 worth of bills never paid for by the school. Here's a link to a short story on him while the school was open. He was run off from there, twice:

Prime Prep Article

1700160885936.png1700160928897.png

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Just listened to this, and they were incredulous about why we didn't go get Deion from JSU. As others have pointed out, Deion was hired at CU on Dec 3 and Leach passed away on Dec 12.
Well, I think it’s entirely possible that Leach was in his final days as MSU’s coach. He was pretty sick and probably doing some soul searching about returning in 2023. He missed a portion of last year’s East TN State game while receiving treatment in the locker room.

I think we had the coach search wheels in motion well before he actually passed. Those conversations might have included Deion, but might not line up with the timeline.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Ross also made a comment on T&L that MSU is the next to hardest place to win. Second only to Vandy. I call BS on that thinking. Sherrill and Merlinz proved the right coach can succeed here.
Both of those things can be true. In other words, it can be hard and can be done…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login