Delta State cutting some degree programs

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
This was announced weeks ago. The new president formed several committees and over the last year or so came up with these cuts to remain solvent. Most of the degree programs cut had less than 10 students in them. Some departments that got cut, had programs and faculty rolled under other departments.

This was a move to cut the fat that should have been done years ago, but was kicked down the road by the previous presidents. I believe this will be good for the university and surrounding area in the long run.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
As Conman90 noted, this was announced a few weeks ago and was just recently approved by the IHL.

Delta State’s long had enrollment issues that were ignored and their new President has been really open with faculty about the difficulties faced.

I know folks who’ve left Cleveland to go to other colleges and universities because this was expected.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And that’s their best enrollment in over 20 years.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Dr Ennis being proactive instead of being told what to do. Probably what MUW, Alcorn, Valley, and the others on the chopping block should do to control their own fate instead of turning it over to the state college board

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Sort of related. I just don't think Republicans are going to get Ph.D.'s in the humanities and social sciences: "At public colleges in red and purple states like Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah, about 200 tenure- and career-track faculty lines are being created in new academic units devoted to civic education, according to Paul Carrese," https://www.chronicle.com/article/w...QY3bxTkAiMoZgQ59s0_aem_81HoM-CE09hI91auTh2LdA

patdog

May 28, 2007
The program with the most students impacted is the Bachelor of Fine Arts, which has 28 students currently enrolled.

These degree programs should have been deleted years ago. Or better yet never started.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Is this the canary in the coal mine?

Something's got to give. Tuition is more expensive than ever. Costs for running the colleges are hire than ever. Mississippi revenue isn't that great considering the tax base. Ms hate federal subsidies for education. So I mean, cost and overhead is high, revenue is low. State funded colleges are going to have to figure out how to reduce cost and generate more revenue without losing students that pay tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Looking at that. The cost for running a state run school with less that 3k students should be enough to shut it down. Combine those schools elsewhere. Too much overhead in faculty, staff, and facilities for 3 k students. Private fine whatever but public it doesn't make sense. Hell even 5k students or less at a public 4 year university does make sense for all the overhead in staff faculty and facilities.

john turturro pete hogwallop GIF

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Something's got to give. Tuition is more expensive than ever. Costs for running the colleges are hiring than ever. Mississippi revenue isn't that great considering the tax base. Ms hate federal subsidies for education. So I mean, cost and overhead is high, revenue is low. State funded colleges are going to have to figure out how to reduce cost and generate more revenue without losing students that pay tuition.
Has Miss turned away education money? Obv some has been lost to fraud (Bryant /Favre and I'm sure others), but I wasn't aware of Miss turning away federal largesse unless it was something to make poor people's lives marginally better (Medicaid et al).

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
And that’s their best enrollment in over 20 years.

They had higher enrollment in 2021, but retaining students is a good start to increasing future enrollment. They've been mostly declining for over a decade.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Crazy the gap that has developed between State and Ole Miss from Southern Miss. When I enrolled at Southern Miss in Fall 2000, I want to say that the enrollment was either the same or even a little higher than State and Ole Miss.

Yep, found this chart. Not sure on accuracy, but it tells the same story I was hearing when I was at Southern:

Fall 2000:
Mississippi State - 16,561
Ole Miss - 12,118
Southern Miss - 14,509

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What should be done is close Valley, Alcorn, Delta State, and the W. All but the W you close outright. You study the programs at the W, especially the nursing program, to see if it is more cost effect to move them to MSU Starkville or keep them in Columbus as MSU Columbus. The money you save by doing this you give to JSU. The final thing is that you take UMC away from Ole Miss and make it The Mississippi University for Health Sciences. It's pretty much its own thing anyway, and has been for decades. The only real reason it's still attached to UM is for prestige reasons for Ole Miss.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

patdog

May 28, 2007
Crazy the gap that has developed between State and Ole Miss from Southern Miss. When I enrolled at Southern Miss in Fall 2000, I want to say that the enrollment was either the same or even a little higher than State and Ole Miss.

Yep, found this chart. Not sure on accuracy, but it tells the same story I was hearing when I was at Southern:

Fall 2000:
Mississippi State - 16,561
Ole Miss - 12,118
Southern Miss - 14,509
That jumped out at me too. Southern basically hasn’t grown in 20 years. Of course they had a President back then who was double counting students, so their numbers were somewhat inflated. Still surprising they don’t have more students now though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login