Department of Public Safety moving to Rankin from Jackson.....

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The HQ right off of Woodrow Wilson is not a place I'd send my daughter to stand in line alone for a DL.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The HQ right off of Woodrow Wilson is not a place I'd send my daughter to stand in line alone for a DL.
If you're worried about the people, well that same crowd will be at the new one. If you're worried about the location, I really just don't know what to tell you. No wonder people are scared to death of Jackson, if that is what you consider a dangerous area.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Jackson isn't going to get its **** together. It's like watching a train wreck, but you can't look away.
Any word on where in Rankin county it's headed? Maybe over there by the MLEOTA complex?

**Edit**
I say MLEOTA because MEMA, the Fire Academy, Police Academy, HP Station/DL Station are all in that general vicinity

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The building is literally falling in on itself, and will soon be condemned. DPS wants to consolidate their operations in one general area, and seeing MLEOTA and the crime lab are already out there and the state owns the land, made the most sense. Also, UMMC wants the property where they are currently located on Woodrow Wilson and 55.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
https://www.supertalk.fm/dps-headqu...PO-dsv36Tn4oaBOrEuw0O_EzuSDTSAV7mz-idOETnFSSw

I don't know if this is good or bad. Jackson better get its **** together real soon, it's bad if state agencies are leaving the capital. And it's not like DPS is currently in a bad area. What's up with this?

I don't like the state agencies leaving the capital, but if they can't get state control over some parts of jackson to make it safe and ensure basic municipal services like running water, sewage treatment, and decent roads, I'm not sure how they're going to be able to recruit employees to work in Jackson proper.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
State needs to go ahead and annex the tongue twisting airport sitting dead-center of pearl too...

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
No, born here.
Frankly, I haven't kept up with the case since those oral arguments in December; although, I'd like to see SB 2612 passed. Especially since one of the board members (for the airport) is driving all over the country and getting the mileage and per diem for it. With the Director giving his 90 day notice recently, I wouldn't be surprised if something else surfaced.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Jackson isn't going to get its **** together. It's like watching a train wreck, but you can't look away.
Any word on where in Rankin county it's headed? Maybe over there by the MLEOTA complex?

**Edit**
I say MLEOTA because MEMA, the Fire Academy, Police Academy, HP Station/DL Station are all in that general vicinity

That is unfortunately the truth I believe. I’ve never been one to want to live in Jackson because I have kids and want to send them to public school. However, I’ve always been hopeful for Jackson. Fondren/belhaven has always been a beacon of hope since I’ve lived here and downtown was safe (at least during the day). However, downtown now has issues. The city is so damn pitiful they can’t even manage to get a contract pick up trash. They can’t bill for water, the roads are terrible. You could go on and on really. It sucks for the state but it’s hard to see hope for Jackson, especially under the current administration.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The down side is more people will becoming to Rankin to renewal their licenses. I hope they combine the two keeping both stations employees and making it bigger.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
^^^ This. As the building has settled, gas lines serving the building have been compromised. Employees have been sickened by leaking gas. The building cannot be economically repaired. The state has no option other than to relocate. It only makes sense to relocate to property already owned by the state. According to a recent conversation I had with a legislator, the building will be razed.

i understand that a VA facility that is in Jackson will also be relocated to Rankin. I don’t know which aspect of VA is being relocated.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
The Department of Public Safety is abandoning Jackson......not that is really hilarious. And sad, as well.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
There are two drastic changes that must occur before Jackson can be rescued. The legislature must provide statutory authority for a municipality in Mississippi to be placed into receivership (ala Detroit). Thereafter, through the process of receivership, a controlled and methodical and wholesale dismantling of political impediments must be undertaken leading to otherwise impossible to implement corrective actions, one being the uprooting of metastasized corruption. During the receivership process, efforts must be made to incentivize significant gentrification which would ultimately reverse the downward spiral. The first step is the short term action that stops the slide into the *******. The second is the very long term solution that puts the city on a path toward success. I give it less than a 2% chance of ever happening as long as CD1 is occupied by BT

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
So Bo Luckey and his Capitol Police force are going to clean up the street of Jackson from their cushy new digs in Rankin County? Yea that’s gonna work. 😆😆

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So Bo Luckey and his Capitol Police force are going to clean up the street of Jackson from their cushy new digs in Rankin County? Yea that’s gonna work. 
Why you hating on Bo? Is there anybody you DO like?

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Why you hating on Bo? Is there anybody you DO like?

Not hating on him at all. Hopefully he CAN make a difference. The problem is that it usually takes them 20 minutes or more AT MINIMUM to show up to any call in the Capitol perimeter downtown. Now they are gonna be even further away down Airport Rd. It’s a cluster waiting to happen.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Need to just make Brandon the capitol and bulldoze Jackson. Unless we could sacrifice a couple virgins to the dormant volcano under the coliseum and get it to erupt to the west and south. Not sure if anyone could find virgin sacrifices tho.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's in Jackson proper, with little easy egress and lines of people who are generally unhappy about being there; at least it was before they started the scheduling system. Maybe that works great.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
^^^ This. As the building has settled, gas lines serving the building have been compromised. Employees have been sickened by leaking gas. The building cannot be economically repaired. The state has no option other than to relocate. It only makes sense to relocate to property already owned by the state. According to a recent conversation I had with a legislator, the building will be razed.

i understand that a VA facility that is in Jackson will also be relocated to Rankin. I don’t know which aspect of VA is being relocated.

There is a VA Hospital and the VA Regional Office (that is the building closest to the Highway Patrol). The VA Regional Office is likely the one you heard is moving, it moved to that location from the Federal Building in the mid 90s. That is a safe and convenient location, I can't imagine why they would move?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Just this past Nov, I shepherded my youngest through the DL process. It is via appointment in Purl, in and out in 30 minutes, including testing and license issuance, it was very efficient.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Contrast that w/ a co-worker of mine that went to Troop G Starkville station w/in the last year. She took off work at 2:30 to go renew. She stood in line until 5:00 when the employees at the counter helping customers walked out telling everyone to come back the next day. That's just ignorance, why not at lets say 4:00 get up off your lazy arses and lock the door and put a sign out front telling everyone that doors will be locked at 4:00 and then continue to help customers until 5:00?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login