design of memphis offense....good read....

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Sounds like the perfect offense for a Dee Bost, Scotty Hopson, Jamont Gordon, and Osby.

As for today, I like the idea of the 1 man zone that UCLA used with Varnado staying under the basket.</p>

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I am a little confused as to how this works so well if you don't have 5 guys that can shoot a three. It doesn't seem like it be all that great on a college level...and its no coincidence that it works at Memphis and didn't work at Pepperdine. This is very interesting though and something to watch.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
I think its main purpose is to let talented players "do their thing" and not feel restricted by the confines of a set offense. It's good to have 1 or 2 3-point shooters to kick it to and we would have Barry and Ben, but the main thing is breaking your man down off the dribble and finishing at the basket which all of those guys can do. Especially since we won't have a true post man. It sounds like it didn't work at Pepperdine because he didn't stay there long enough to get the right players and it sounded like he had some serious communication issues with his players.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was just pointing out that its easier to let players "do their thing" when you have the most talented players. And if you have a true post that can't shoot the three, you lose what seems to be the thrust of this offense: taking away helpside.
This actually would be a great offense for us to run now to cut down on the help on Gordon. But of course Jarvis' man would just camp in the lane.

Anyway, this is all very fascinating to me.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
I don't believe Dorsey or Dozier can shoot the 3 though. Varnado would be on the weakside block for the dunk if his man came over to stop the drive. Anyway, we probably just put more thought into this in 5 minutes than Stansbury ever will. Just kidding of course.</p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login