Desoto...Just in case you haven't seen

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Hasnt the Corp of Engineers had like a year to do something?
It’s going to take 10 years to fix it. It’s not a simple fix and they’re still trying to come up with a plan on how to go about doing it and they really don’t have a handle yet on how extensive the issue is. They have no funding for it either so that has to happen before they can even start.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
It’s going to take 10 years to fix it. It’s not a simple fix and they’re still trying to come up with a plan on how to go about doing it and they really don’t have a handle yet on how extensive the issue is. They have no funding for it either so that has to happen before they can even start.
I’d heard that same number as well, DCD. My honest question is aside from the funding, what on earth could take 10 years to fix? I’m no civil engineer, but that sounds like a long time to me. What, exactly, is wrong with it?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’d heard that same number as well, DCD. My honest question is aside from the funding, what on earth could take 10 years to fix? I’m no civil engineer, but that sounds like a long time to me. What, exactly, is wrong with it?
Just above the spillway is a cavity in the dam as a result of a leak within the dam. Has to do with the inner concrete structure weep holes getting filled with sand over the years and not working properly. To fix it they are probably going to have to tear into the dam and fill in. It’s going to be a helluva project.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Just above the spillway is a cavity in the dam as a result of a leak within the dam. Has to do with the inner concrete structure weep holes getting filled with sand over the years and not working properly. To fix it they are probably going to have to tear into the dam and fill in. It’s going to be a helluva project.
Ugh….that sounds like a nightmare.

I’ve got a buddy that’s been crappie fishing that lake for decades, and he’s hoping they just turn it into a field trial area. I laughed until I heard that 10 year number.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Ugh….that sounds like a nightmare.

I’ve got a buddy that’s been crappie fishing that lake for decades, and he’s hoping they just turn it into a field trial area. I laughed until I heard that 10 year number.
It’s going to turn into a willow tree forrest soon.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
The engineering will probably take a year possibly two complete. The bidding phase will add an additional 6 months to a year. This is all contingent on if and when the project is funded. It wouldn't surprise me if construction would take more than 5 years to complete depending on the root cause analysis from the engineering.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login