Diamond Sports (Ballys) reaches deal with Amazon.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Part of me hates Amazon owning another thing, but part of me is excited about the increased availability of live sports.
This.

And now I’m wondering how much per month Amazon Prime will be later this year.

Reactions: Dawgg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
This seems promising. Bally’s streaming model just made no sense at somewhere around $25/mo for me to be able to access Grizz games and a few other franchises that I care nothing about. It was cheaper for us to just sign up for League Pass which is ridiculous

Even if this is a paid add on for Prime, I’m confident that Amazon will make it more accessible than Bally’s ever attempted to do

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This seems promising. Bally’s streaming model just made no sense at somewhere around $25/mo for me to be able to access Grizz games and a few other franchises that I care nothing about. It was cheaper for us to just sign up for League Pass which is ridiculous

Even if this is a paid add on for Prime, I’m confident that Amazon will make it more accessible than Bally’s ever attempted to do
I looked into Bally's+ or whatever a while back, but like you said, it was so expensive and I wasn't very sure what the hell I would be paying for, so I never pulled the trigger.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I heard in the future they may not increase costs but include “clickable” links to products. Your Braves game will come with a side of QVC. Honestly, I’m not mad at it. Probably less ads than On3.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
More than likely. I know some teams are still exploring their own streaming service.

The biggest thing that needs to happen is MLB and NBA get rid of their archaic blackout rules.
The baseball blackout rules are absolute trash. The Memphis area has three teams included in its market. Atlanta and St. Louis (which at least makes a little sense) and 17'n Cincinnati. Why the hell would games in Cincinnati get blacked out in Memphis?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
So will I be able to see the Braves now?
Nope. It only affects the 5 teams of which they own the streaming rights, Royals, Marlins, Tigers, Rays, and Brewers. It’s the same reason we can’t get the Braves on the Bally plus subscription.

It looks like Manfred is working towards Amazon being the “official” streamer for MLB but I bet that doesn’t happen til 25.

It looks like another season of being out of luck watching the Braves if you don’t have Xfinity, Directv or Fubo

• Angry
Reactions: DawgInThe256

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Nope. It only affects the 5 teams of which they own the streaming rights, Royals, Marlins, Tigers, Rays, and Brewers. It’s the same reason we can’t get the Braves on the Bally plus subscription.

It looks like Manfred is working towards Amazon being the “official” streamer for MLB but I bet that doesn’t happen til 25.

It looks like another season of being out of luck watching the Braves if you don’t have Xfinity, Directv or Fubo
Yuck. I will say before all this someone in the Braves broadcast team said they would be offering something that would allow you to stream the Braves at like $9.99 a month(I don’t remember the actual figure) or something. But that may include ridiculous blackouts for MS too.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The baseball blackout rules are absolute trash. The Memphis area has three teams included in its market. Atlanta and St. Louis (which at least makes a little sense) and 17'n Cincinnati. Why the hell would games in Cincinnati get blacked out in Memphis?
NBA has the same rules if you want to watch on League Pass you can’t be in the home team area and watch games. It’s so incredibly stupid.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

That's what I figured. So who owns the Braves streaming rights?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
NBA has the same rules if you want to watch on League Pass you can’t be in the home team area and watch games. It’s so incredibly stupid.
MLB.TV is the same. I'm in the DFW area. I'm a Dodgers fan so I get most of their games, but my son loves the Rangers and almost all of their games are blacked out.

I remember having NBA League Pass through a special XBox 360 promotion about 15 years ago. The big headache for me wasn't just the local blackouts (which were a headache because the Grizz share a division with the Mavs), it was also the national blackouts. I remember the help section had the "why is my game unavailable?" heading and it said "When it's a national broadcast such as TNT or ESPN, simply tune your television to the channel broadcasting your game." Being an early cord cutter, this wasn't the answer I was looking for, so I cancelled it immediately.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This serves all of you right for watching the two most boring TV sports on the face of the planet - MLB and NBA. Those are in-person spectator sports mane

Just kidding - maybe. I can't even hardly watch MSU basketball and baseball on TV, much less pro.

MLB.TV is the same. I'm in the DFW area. I'm a Dodgers fan so I get most of their games, but my son loves the Rangers and almost all of their games are blacked out.

I remember having NBA League Pass through a special XBox 360 promotion about 15 years ago. The big headache for me wasn't just the local blackouts (which were a headache because the Grizz share a division with the Mavs), it was also the national blackouts. I remember the help section had the "why is my game unavailable?" heading and it said "When it's a national broadcast such as TNT or ESPN, simply tune your television to the channel broadcasting your game." Being an early cord cutter, this wasn't the answer I was looking for, so I cancelled it immediately.
Are you a full cord-cutter? I.e., do the local Rangers games come on local TV through cable or like a YoutubeTV? I guess what I am asking is, are games only blacked out through the MLB.tv and NBA Leaguepass deals...

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This serves all of you right for watching the two most boring TV sports on the face of the planet - MLB and NBA. Those are in-person spectator sports mane

Just kidding - maybe. I can't even hardly watch MSU basketball and baseball on TV, much less pro.

Are you a full cord-cutter? I.e., do the local Rangers games come on local TV through cable or like a YoutubeTV? I guess what I am asking is, are games only blacked out through the MLB.tv and NBA Leaguepass deals...
If you don't enjoy watching baseball on TV and think it's boring, that fully explains why all of your baseball takes are shlt.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you don't enjoy watching baseball on TV and think it's boring, that fully explains why all of your baseball takes are shlt.
Most people don't enjoy it. Any person in that research space will tell you that. Ratings back it up. Certain sports have aspects that make them better for TV (football and golf), and baseball doesn't. TV makes it more boring. It's slow enough as it is. The in-person experience is much better.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Most people don't enjoy it. Any person in that research space will tell you that. Ratings back it up. Certain sports have aspects that make them better for TV (football and golf), and baseball doesn't. TV makes it more boring. It's slow enough as it is. The in-person experience is much better.
If your 'most people' include commies and chicks, yeah, maybe most people don't enjoy it. Baseball is doing just fine, though. Ratings for national broadcasts on ESPN and Fox were flat to slightly up last year. The overall ratings decline over the last few years have less to do with people not watching it and more to do with people not watching it in traditional ways. Most viewers younger than 45 stream baseball and those numbers aren't reflected in ratings.

WBC ratings last year were through the roof.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
If your 'most people' include commies and chicks, yeah, maybe most people don't enjoy it. Baseball is doing just fine, though. Ratings for national broadcasts on ESPN and Fox were flat to slightly up last year. The overall ratings decline over the last few years have less to do with people not watching it and more to do with people not watching it in traditional ways. Most viewers younger than 45 stream baseball and those numbers aren't reflected in ratings.

WBC ratings last year were through the roof.
The streaming has definitely spread it thinner. The lack of “superstations” hurts the affinity for baseball in rural places like MS. As a kid I used to love coming home from school and seeing the Braves or Cubs on tv. Now, you gotta hope that the kids pick up their fandom thru peers or their parents. They just don’t care like we did.

I have a 22 year old that played baseball from t ball thru high school and I bet he hasn’t watched 10 MLB games in his life.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login