Did Danny Boy ever have an actual offer that was 'perceived' better before Tennessee/Florida?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't remember if he actually got one. I seem to remember him flirting with Florida after both 2009 and 2010, but never really serious, maybe a few other programs. I don't remember him getting any more serious looks until 2015, when I believe it was maybe Maryland and Miami. I don't recall too much flirtation after 2014, that was more about Collins leaving in the Egg Bowl.

Did he get any interest after 2012? I don't remember that. I chalk a lot of that collapse up to the fact that we weren't that great and played an easy schedule, like Ole Miss this year.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I don't remember if he actually got one. I seem to remember him flirting with Florida after both 2009 and 2010, but never really serious, maybe a few other programs. I don't remember him getting any more serious looks until 2015, when I believe it was maybe Maryland and Miami. I don't recall too much flirtation after 2014, that was more about Collins leaving in the Egg Bowl.

Did he get any interest after 2012? I don't remember that. I chalk a lot of that collapse up to the fact that we weren't that great and played an easy schedule, like Ole Miss this year.
He got really close with Miami and Maryland. We know he didn't get the offer because he ultimately chose to stay at State each time. If you're a sitting head coach in the SEC, you don't interview for the freaking Maryland job unless you just want out. So he was looking for just about any ticket out of town at that point.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
He wanted the Penn State job that Franklin got. Thought he should have had it too. You can tell how he checked out at the end of 13. After that he pretty much checked out every November trying to find a town with a Target.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He wanted the Penn State job that Franklin got. Thought he should have had it too. You can tell how he checked out at the end of 13. After that he pretty much checked out every November trying to find a town with a Target.
Ah, I forgot about that one. His dream job. But again, I don't think they ever gave him a serious look.

Seems like it may have been Miss Stake insecurity more than anything, with a lot of these job offers. But I do agree, after 2014 (and especially 2015), he was gone as soon as the lifeboat arrived. Which is a bad attitude, and ultimately he ended up making the wrong decision.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Miami was interested both times. The first time, he turned them off, but supposedly a big part of their beef was that they didn't think they needed to pay him more than Mississippi State did to get him to leave. Don't think the job was his for the taking or anything, but he certainly wasn't begging for the job or indicating he would jump at the opportunity regardless of the pay.

The second time, he said his agent told them that he wasn't interested unless they were going to pay him more than he was making and not to waste time if they weren't ready to do that, and then he went down there and they said they weren't going to pay him more and that ended negotiations. He said this in what I thought was a pretty candid moment where he said people were mad at him for interviewing with Miami but pretty much everybody will at least listen if somebody tells them they want to pay them more. Basically he said fans should take it as a compliment if a coach is unwilling to leave without a raise because that means the coach likes it there. That's a very rough paraphrase that probably comes off wrong but the way he said it I actually didn't think came off poorly at all. Certainly it would infuriate a lot of fans, but I think a lot (most?) can understand that coaches are employees and even the "loyal" ones aren't invested in the school the same way fans are, with probably a few exceptions where coaches are either alumni or have been at a place so long that they really view it as "their" school.

Reactions: patdog

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021

Penn State in 2011 maybe?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"If you're a sitting head coach in the SEC, you don't interview for the freaking Maryland job unless you just want out."

OR you're trying to get a raise.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
I thought I remember him being reported as a candidate at Virginia Tech after Beamer left. 2015, I believe. Don't know how serious it was, but I remember hearing about it.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Miami was interested both times. The first time, he turned them off, but supposedly a big part of their beef was that they didn't think they needed to pay him more than Mississippi State did to get him to leave. Don't think the job was his for the taking or anything, but he certainly wasn't begging for the job or indicating he would jump at the opportunity regardless of the pay.

The second time, he said his agent told them that he wasn't interested unless they were going to pay him more than he was making and not to waste time if they weren't ready to do that, and then he went down there and they said they weren't going to pay him more and that ended negotiations. He said this in what I thought was a pretty candid moment where he said people were mad at him for interviewing with Miami but pretty much everybody will at least listen if somebody tells them they want to pay them more. Basically he said fans should take it as a compliment if a coach is unwilling to leave without a raise because that means the coach likes it there. That's a very rough paraphrase that probably comes off wrong but the way he said it I actually didn't think came off poorly at all. Certainly it would infuriate a lot of fans, but I think a lot (most?) can understand that coaches are employees and even the "loyal" ones aren't invested in the school the same way fans are, with probably a few exceptions where coaches are either alumni or have been at a place so long that they really view it as "their" school.
And that’s all well and good but you don’t quit on your current employer til you start that new job. Dan may not have quit but he surely didn’t give his best effort in many of those Novembers.
That’s why I don’t understand why so many are still enamored with that clown and wish he would come back.

Maybe he did learn his lesson but does MSU really want to take that chance? The chances of him catching that lightning in a bottle a second go round is very very slim especially with his crootin track record. The odds are very low of him stumbling into another Rayne Dakota Prescott.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And that’s all well and good but you don’t quit on your current employer til you start that new job. Dan may not have quit but he surely didn’t give his best effort in many of those Novembers.
That’s why I don’t understand why so many are still enamored with that clown and wish he would come back.

Maybe he did learn his lesson but does MSU really want to take that chance? The chances of him catching that lightning in a bottle a second go round is very very slim especially with his crootin track record. The odds are very low of him stumbling into another Rayne Dakota Prescott.
This is my only real complaint with Dan Mullen. I’ve got no problem with him job shopping. But he let it interfere with the Egg Bowl too many times. That’s unacceptable.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I don't want Mullen back, but I'm also not sure how many of those novembers were primarily about him being distracted.

2012 we didn't have a good defensive coordinator. We should have had a plan to make sure Moncrief didn't get matchup one on one versus our Free safety when we had two NFL CBs on the roster. We looked unprepared in the bowl game, but part of that was Russell had a ****** game. I'm not sure Russell was the type of player to be screwing around even if the coaches were relaxed. Certainly I think the coaches were probably at fault for not being focused, but also sometimes your QB is just going to play ****** and that is hard to overcome against decent competition.

2014 was bad, but Robinson had already started dancing. Certainly he wasn't sharp, but it wasn't like that was just a **** team. We lost our most athletic safety because of off the field issues. Then we lost another safety in the first series. Not exactly shocking that Engram tore us up. Him not trying to have a DC in place for the bowl game was bull ****. That was too big of a game for us to not have a plan for the triple option.

2017 we lost our QB. He came in and tried to be agressive with the backup and it cost us. Maybe he wasn't at his sharpest, but that wasn't just a wtf loss. Bad stuff happens when you lose your starting QB.

All that to say I don't dispute that Mullen lost some focus at times, particularly after 2014, but I'm not sure it's quite to the extent people think. Of course we're pretty much never going to have margin of error in our late season games against SEC competition, so any loss of focus is painful.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is my only real complaint with Dan Mullen. I’ve got no problem with him job shopping. But he let it interfere with the Egg Bowl too many times. That’s unacceptable.
This is overblown. 2015 and 2017 were the only years I remember that actually happening.

- 2009, 2010 and 2011 we won and played well doing it.
- 2012 we didn't, but again, don't remember a job offer pending here and Ole Miss was hungry, at home, and we weren't that great.
- 2013 we won and played well for the personnel we had.
- 2014 I didn't think we played that well but also not terrible, defense had some big lapses, I blame Collins more than anything. I mean we were on the road vs. a good team.
- 2015 we got flexed on, combination of Mullen looking and Ole Miss just being good.
- 2016 we blew them out.
- 2017 we all know what happened. Mullen was gone after Bama, maybe even earlier than that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You know there are more confirmed yeti sightings than official coaching offers.
Blah blah. I'm pretty sure Kiffin never got an offer at Auburn but I think we all know he was the #1 guy. That's what I'm talking about. That never happened with Mullen that I can recall, unless it was briefly with Miami.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This is overblown. 2015 and 2017 were the only years I remember that actually happening.

- 2009, 2010 and 2011 we won and played well doing it.
- 2012 we didn't, but again, don't remember a job offer pending here and Ole Miss was hungry, at home, and we weren't that great.
- 2013 we won and played well for the personnel we had.
- 2014 I didn't think we played that well but also not terrible, defense had some big lapses, I blame Collins more than anything. I mean we were on the road vs. a good team.
- 2015 we got flexed on, combination of Mullen looking and Ole Miss just being good.
- 2016 we blew them out.
- 2017 we all know what happened. Mullen was gone after Bama, maybe even earlier than that.

In 2012, Colorado was the big Mullen rumor. We had no business losing to them that year, no matter how hungry they were. We may not have been "that great", but we were 8-3 going into that game and to that point had only lost to ranked teams (#1 Bama, #14 LSU, #5 A&M). They were 5-6 and two weeks removed from losing to Vanderbilt, were losing to Central Arkansas at halftime, and let Texas hang 66 on them.

Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I thought I remember him being reported as a candidate at Virginia Tech after Beamer left. 2015, I believe. Don't know how serious it was, but I remember hearing about it.
He was "being reported" as a candidate for every job in the country about that time.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Blah blah. I'm pretty sure Kiffin never got an offer at Auburn but I think we all know he was the #1 guy. That's what I'm talking about. That never happened with Mullen that I can recall, unless it was briefly with Miami.
I'm pretty sure that I think we will never know...

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
obviously not better than Tennessee or Florida but i vaguely remember Virginia was supposedly wanting him

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In 2012, Colorado was the big Mullen rumor. We had no business losing to them that year, no matter how hungry they were. We may not have been "that great", but we were 8-3 going into that game and to that point had only lost to ranked teams (#1 Bama, #14 LSU, #5 A&M). They were 5-6 and two weeks removed from losing to Vanderbilt, were losing to Central Arkansas at halftime, and let Texas hang 66 on them.
Disagree. No question they were on the way up and playing better as the season went on. That was a James Franklin Vandy team. And they also almost beat the vaunted A&M 2012 team. That cuts both ways.

They had some serious built up emotion and they brought the physical pain that night. We all saw it coming. They beat the hell out of us, so you can’t say we had no business losing to them.

Back to Mullen, I don’t remember Colorado. At least being a serious option.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

Clown Here You Go GIF by Travis

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
We can blame Collins. Maybe he was the one looking and not preparing, but Ole Miss was down their top two WRs and the QB was hurt and couldn’t run a lick. The lack of anything that resembled a defensive plan or adjustments was inexcusable. Some of that has to fall on Mullen as the head coach and as someone who did not give the DC full autonomy like Leach did Arnett. The fact that no DC wanted to put up with him is probably why Collins was trying to get out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login