Did Jackson really just pass a curfue law...

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not against a curfew law at all… but I do wonder does it actually help?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How are they going to sell their drugs. You know mama isn't going to let that happen at her house.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yeah, No. the criminals aren't giving up their ill gotten guns and they ain't obeying no stinking curfew laws in Jacktown.

To be fair though 2023 was actually a drought of murders compared to 2020-2022. Sorry, I meant to say <reported murders>. The Mayor and The JPD found a loophole in the reporting of murders that was placed on the books in 2020 and they pulled it back out in 2023.

All gunshot wounds less than 3 were reported as death by COVID 19. All knife stabbing a if less than 12 were also reported as death by COVID 19.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Of course it does. It forces individuals who would normally be out on the streets breaking the law to stay home and brush up on their algebra or get in some extra ACT prep work....
Research shows that Jackson curfews actually decrease ACT scores and health outcomes because instead of cruising the streets drinking hard liquor people are staying home and drinking Jackson city water

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
To me, laws like curfews and mandatory seatbelt usage are inherently illegal. I just don't see how the govt can force people to do things that have no victims if they do not comply. They come off to me as either a money grab or excuse to stop whoever they want to. If I want to ride around town at 3:00am with no seatbelt on there should be no laws stopping me. I'm hurting nobody and laws are supposed to be in place to keep one party from causing some type of harm to another whether it be physical, psychological, or financial.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If I want to ride around town at 3:00am with no seatbelt on there should be no laws stopping me.

laws are supposed to be in place to keep one party from causing some type of harm to another whether it be physical, psychological, or financial.
I agree w/ you 100% in theory, but there are exceptions. If you get thrown from a vehicle and expect Medicare or Medicaid to pay for your preventable injuries, then that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. If you smoke all your life, get lung cancer and expect the government to pay for lung cancer treatments same deal. If you don't wear a motorcycle helmet and turn into a vegetable from a head injury in an accident same deal. If you are obese from over eating and have diabetes or any of a long list of preventable diseases from obesity, same deal.

There is always burden of proof but I hate the waste of my tax payer money on preventable health issues.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
To me, laws like curfews and mandatory seatbelt usage are inherently illegal. I just don't see how the govt can force people to do things that have no victims if they do not comply. They come off to me as either a money grab or excuse to stop whoever they want to. If I want to ride around town at 3:00am with no seatbelt on there should be no laws stopping me. I'm hurting nobody and laws are supposed to be in place to keep one party from causing some type of harm to another whether it be physical, psychological, or financial.
I don't really like curfew laws either, other than very limited circumstances like natural disasters where emergency personnel are overwhelmed.

I'm ok with seatbelt laws, I view them as kind of like electrical codes laws for homes. While it is a "victimless" crime, there are societal downsides and no real upside of not wearing your seatbelt, wiring a home safely, etc.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
just build more jails and keep them full - 10 to a cell

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Curfew laws aren’t really expected to keep criminals off the streets. But it does give police immediate probable cause to stop anyone they find wandering around at 2 in the morning.
This. But only if they appear to be minors. It’s the definition of an anti-freedom law. Curfew laws typically result in increased crime but it won’t stop murders. Let me explain.

A murder is TYPICALLY a crime committed wherr police are no help. Their job is simply to collect the guts and preserve evidence.

Curfew laws will/should result in a lot more stop and frisk. You will get drug possessions, public intoxication, and maybe some felon in possessions.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
i’ve never seen someone in a jail cell rape and murder a mother jogging through memphis
What's the number of jail cells that eliminates crime? How many more, in your estimation?

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
What's the number of jail cells that eliminates crime? How many more, in your estimation?
how many criminals are there? that number plus 10%. question for you what is the deterrent for crime?

either put them in jail or we all return to the wild west where you’re shot on the spot for your crimes

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah, No. the criminals aren't giving up their ill gotten guns and they ain't obeying no stinking curfew laws in Jacktown.

To be fair though 2023 was actually a drought of murders compared to 2020-2022. Sorry, I meant to say <reported murders>. The Mayor and The JPD found a loophole in the reporting of murders that was placed on the books in 2020 and they pulled it back out in 2023.

All gunshot wounds less than 3 were reported as death by COVID 19. All knife stabbing a if less than 12 were also reported as death by COVID 19.
Lies No GIF

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016

how many criminals are there? that number plus 10%. question for you what is the deterrent for crime?

either put them in jail or we all return to the wild west where you’re shot on the spot for your crimes
I can tell you there are a lot of repeat offenders running around Jackson, Ms. And many have Never seen the inside of a jail cell. And boom boom, whether you believe me or not, there are many murders and violent crimes thst never get reported. And the ones that do, JPD and the MBI couldn't find the killer(s) or don't want to find them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login