Did Levy say if he was calling his own plays?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I know Mullins did but overall all I think that is a bad idea. Need to be a CEO and let the people who run O and D do their thing.
I think we need him calling plays, or at least having a heavy hand in it, because we damn sure don’t need to be forking over big bucks to a dedicated OC after making this hire.

Spend up on a DC. Put the rest in NIL. A school in our position can’t be throwing huge bucks at our coaching staff in today’s day and age.

Reactions: Mud84

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I know Mullins did but overall all I think that is a bad idea. Need to be a CEO and let the people who run O and D do their thing.
It really depends on who his OC is. If he brings in Briles then he'll let Briles do it. But he'll still be heavily involved. And he needs to be because that's what he does well and that's what got him the job.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Wrong. For a fundamental/coordinator-expertise type first time head coach, they need to lean on what got them there, and over time, train a coordinator to take over. Abandoning the defense and trying to be CEO is the fatal mistake Arnett made.
Agreed. Why hire a guy that calls a damn good game, to then just cut his balls off?
Let the Bull be the Bull.

Arnette would still be the coach today, if hey stuck to calling the defense and letting the offense call the offense. He did neither. So when Leach died, we lost our Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator.

I would take Arnett back as D Coordinator with Lebby running the show. Not sure if Arnett would be down for that.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I think we need him calling plays, or at least having a heavy hand in it, because we damn sure don’t need to be forking over big bucks to a dedicated OC after making this hire.

Spend up on a DC. Put the rest in NIL. A school in our position can’t be throwing huge bucks at our coaching staff in today’s day and age.
I agree 100% on putting money on a DC. The school doesn’t put anything into NIL. Salaries are paid out of funds raised by the Bulldog Club. The NIL money comes from individuals and/or corporate donors.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If he can handle it, have at it. Mullen's,and others, problem was they lost track of managing the game because they were running the offense. TOs, clock, etc.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If he can handle it, have at it. Mullen's,and others, problem was they lost track of managing the game because they were running the offense. TOs, clock, etc.
Have to hire that out too, like Leach did.

But, a first time head coach is simply just going to make those mistakes. It's part of the drill.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Motion to call our coach Marv?

(works in many ways… when he’s good he’s Marvelous… when he’s horrible we can derisively refer to him as Marvel Boy…)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login