Did Novak "ask" Jackson to leave the team?

msu71

Mar 3, 2008
Don't know for sure. But you can read between the lines. Novak coaches a motion offense with everyone involved. He said on his post game conference yesterday that whomever has the ball becomes the point guard. The way the team is sharing the basketball with each other kind of hints to the fact that Rickea did not agree with that strategy. So, in some games, she just stood in the corner when we needed her to be more vocal with the team. I think that Vic also saw this along with Mingo-Young, Matharu, Madison Hayes, etc. You get the picture. It is very hard these days to coach a diva.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Don't know for sure. But you can read between the lines. Novak coaches a motion offense with everyone involved. He said on his post game conference yesterday that whomever has the ball becomes the point guard. The way the team is sharing the basketball with each other kind of hints to the fact that Rickea did not agree with that strategy. So, in some games, she just stood in the corner when we needed her to be more vocal with the team. I think that Vic also saw this along with Mingo-Young, Matharu, Madison Hayes, etc. You get the picture. It is very hard these days to coach a diva.

If Jackson really balked at running a motion offense, that was really short sighted. A well run motion offense still features the best offensive player, it's just more likely to get him/her the ball in scoring position with help defenders occupied chasing their man and/or helping off picks. It is hard to execute at that level and when it's not being executed well can result in a lot of possessions where the best offensive player barely touches the ball or doesn't even touch the ball at all, but it's really fun to watch when it is done well.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
If Jackson really balked at running a motion offense, that was really short sighted. A well run motion offense still features the best offensive player, it's just more likely to get him/her the ball in scoring position with help defenders occupied chasing their man and/or helping off picks. It is hard to execute at that level and when it's not being executed well can result in a lot of possessions where the best offensive player barely touches the ball or doesn't even touch the ball at all, but it's really fun to watch when it is done well.

And it has really been done well over the last few games.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I have no idea. But I find it very interesting that the first game with Rickea gone is the first game Jessika Carter was back on the bench.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
If you watched any games at all with Rickea, you could tell her body language was terrible. Her attitude was a cancer, and I'm glad she's gone. To her defense though.....this team isn't what she signed up for. She committed to Vic, and a national championship program. I think Vic could have reigned in that prima donna attitude and she would have been elite. So, I dont blame her for moving on. I'm honestly surprised she hung on as long as she did. Better for her and better for us.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The best coaches manage people like that. Saban has a team of five stars he gets them all to play their part.

whosyourdawgy

Jan 23, 2011
He sure does have a full team of 4 and 5 stars. Let one of those 4 or 5 stars not do what he says or do what is best for the team and see what happens to him. If and I mean IF Jackson was this type player, a good coach would’ve shown her sat her down or shown her the door. If Novak did this, that’s another impressive notch on the positive sign for a head coaching job later down the line.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Let one of those 4 or 5 stars not do what he says or do what is best for the team and see what happens to him." I tell you what happens, the 5 star behind him steps up and he takes a huge pay cut.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
"Let one of those 4 or 5 stars not do what he says or do what is best for the team and see what happens to him." I tell you what happens, the 5 star behind him steps up and he takes a huge pay cut.

Yup. Saban is great at managing egos, but his recruiting pretty much results in ego management being on easy setting for him. He rarely is going to have an ego he can't dismiss from the team and replace with a really good player, even if they're not quite as good.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
And he delegates it to his position and coordinators like any good coach does. If the coach isn't doing his job then he gets replaced. Good coaches hire good coaches and manage them.

SGIDawg

Jan 6, 2022
Not saying Saban isn't great at managing egos, but his players probably aren't "really moody" once a month either....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login