Did they just say

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
The clock doesn't stop when you go out of bounds except the last 2 minutes? What kind of crap is that? I knew about the 1st down rule but damn not even OOB?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The clock doesn't stop when you go out of bounds except the last 2 minutes? What kind of crap is that? I knew about the 1st down rule but damn not even OOB?
Yep. Looks like, you'll get about 2 plays per game minute with this new rule(s). Maybe 3 if you hurry.

Total points will be down this year

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The clock stops momentarily on out of bounds but restarts when they set the ball, unless it’s the final two minutes. Same rules they’ve had in the last couple years. The new rule is the clock running on first downs except in the final two minutes of each half.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
They have needed to do this for a long time. The clock was stopped way too much in the college game in the past

And yet, shockingly, the games seem to still be over 3 hrs. $$$$

I'd have preferred 1 if the 2, not both at the same time.

Reactions: Maroon13

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
The clock stops momentarily on out of bounds but restarts when they set the ball, unless it’s the final two minutes. Same rules they’ve had in the last couple years. The new rule is the clock running on first downs except in the final two minutes of each half.

Maybe it was a 1st down on the oob play and I misheard the announcer but he clearly said something about now you get to see the new rule come into play. I never saw the clock stop but I did grill steaks tonight so....

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Shortening the game might work to our advantage when playing the blue bloods. They always have more quality depth than we do.

Reactions: Dawg1976

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

those who complain about length of games

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That’s been the rule for a while. It stops until the ball is reset for play outside of 2 minutes.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And yet, shockingly, the games seem to still be over 3 hrs. $$$$

I'd have preferred 1 if the 2, not both at the same time.
Yeah, when I was posting positive things about shortening the games over the last couple years, I didn’t mean that I wanted them to do it so that we could then have 2x as many commercials

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Shortening the game might work to our advantage when playing the blue bloods. They always have more quality depth than we do.
That was my first thought.
When Bob Boyd was our basketball coach here and I was a student, he ran the stall the whole game like teams do in the last minute or two of a game. We would pass and pass and dribble and pass until there was a wide open shot for Jeff Malone or the ball was stolen or we scored. It severely limited the number of points that the opponent scored. We didn't win many during his years but we didn't get blown out either. I can see where it would help against "more blessed" opponents

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't know if it's good for football, but it is good for programs like ours that make our money on defense.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Did anyone watch Mizzou/South Dakota? South Dakota got the opening kick of the 2nd half and had an 8:19, 17 play, 41-yard drive resulting in a turnover on downs and no points. I think we're in for a lot of that.

I am ready to see the service academies play a game with each team touching the ball 4 times.

I also wonder how terrified Brian Ferentz at Iowa is. No way he gets to 325 total points with this clock.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login