Did UAB or City of Birmingham pay for the new stadium

patdog

May 28, 2007
BJCC owns it. UAB is one of the tenants. It’s a shame we can’t demolish the Jackson stadium & build a nice 40,000 seat stadium like that.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That’s one thing Governor Bryant proposed when he was in ran for office his first term that I wish we did.

At one time, he wanted to tear down the stadium, UMC to use that space, and build a stadium for JSU.

Last edited:

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
Did Houston leave their helmets at home? Looks like they borrowed some from a local 1A high school.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Jackson is generally about 20 years behind Birmingham, which is about 20 years behind Memphis. I mean we were building a baseball park in Pearl when Birmingham was putting one downtown (20 years before that they built the one in Hoover and realized it was a bad idea). And of course, any stadium in Jackson will need to have Jackson State as the prime tenant. Who knows, maybe it's closer to happening now than ever before, with Neon and all.

Of course, when I say 'they' there's no one person responsible. Lack of civility between municipalities kills.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Still waiting for Tunica to land that NFL Team and NASCAR Race they were promising 25 years ago.
Man, I think about this all the time. Just a damn shame. Tunica had its day in the sun, but man, there were SO MANY resources wasted up there, that could have truly been put to better use elsewhere. They just out-kicked their coverage, so to speak. Nothing made sense about it but just quick money. Spread out all over, and basically nothing else to do in the area.

Coast makes sense. Natchez and Vicksburg make sense. Philadelphia? Ehh, but at least it's just 2 of them. Greenville? Nothing makes sense there. Tunica? Well, maybe 1, 2 at most. Not a bad thing to have and it's better to have the peak than nothing at all, but damn, the government spending is what just really makes you cringe.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
BJCC owns it. UAB is one of the tenants. It’s a shame we can’t demolish the Jackson stadium & build a nice 40,000 seat stadium like that.

Why? We wouldn't play there. Let JSU or Jackson build it. I don't want state money wasted on that crap.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Why? We wouldn't play there. Let JSU or Jackson build it. I don't want state money wasted on that crap.
Well, for economic opportunity in the state's capital city. So there's that.

Not everything has to directly benefit MSU. However, I would argue having a more viable Jackson greatly (and directly) benefits MSU as well as everyone else.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Well, for economic opportunity in the state's capital city. So there's that.

Not everything has to directly benefit MSU. However, I would argue having a more viable Jackson greatly (and directly) benefits MSU as well as everyone else.

Nobody is playing there other than JSU. Why do people think there would be games other than SWAC and high school games there? Those are already played there. It would be a big waste of money.
Maybe they could start the Brown Water Bowl, or The Soul Stealing City Bowl, or the Capital Murder Classic?

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Nobody is playing there other than JSU. Why do people think there would be games other than SWAC and high school games there? Those are already played there. It would be a big waste of money.
Maybe they could start the Brown Water Bowl, or The Soul Stealing City Bowl, or the Capital Murder Classic?
I will say that I'd prefer a decent arena, rather than a football stadium. But if left up to JSU, they'll never leave the Vet, and the hospital will never expand.

As I've said before, bowls are antiquated, so no sense investing in that. We could probably lure some NCAA tournament games and similar, however.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We stayed at the hotel across the street this year and the area is pretty nice. Walking distance to several restaurants and TopGolf. I wouldn’t be surprised with SEC influence that Birmingham Bowl moves up the pecking order. 47,000 seems reasonable for a mid tier bowl nowadays.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I will say that I'd prefer a decent arena, rather than a football stadium. But if left up to JSU, they'll never leave the Vet, and the hospital will never expand.

As I've said before, bowls are antiquated, so no sense investing in that. We could probably lure some NCAA tournament games and similar, however.

Arena would be a much better situation. Need a larger, modern arena. Then, maybe we aren't having a livestock show, cheer competition, and gun show all at once in virtually the same place.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Arena would be a much better situation. Need a larger, modern arena. Then, maybe we aren't having a livestock show, cheer competition, and gun show all at once in virtually the same place.

It'd be nice to have an arena that could accommodate JSU and a 10k crowd for football and be able to sit more for other set ups. I am assuming that any arena designed to allow football is going to have a ****** set up for other types of events.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Part of the reason JSU wanted a dome was so they could attract stadium music events and potential convention/conference space if I recall correctly.

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
Remember when Con Maloney owned the pro JXN baseball team.. They were gonna build a domed baseball stadium. Call it the Con-Dome

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Jackson is generally about 20 years behind Birmingham, which is about 20 years behind Memphis. I mean we were building a baseball park in Pearl when Birmingham was putting one downtown (20 years before that they built the one in Hoover and realized it was a bad idea). And of course, any stadium in Jackson will need to have Jackson State as the prime tenant. Who knows, maybe it's closer to happening now than ever before, with Neon and all.

Of course, when I say 'they' there's no one person responsible. Lack of civility between municipalities kills.

Here is a fantastic article about the way trustmark park came about.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-atlanta-braves-stadium/

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login