Didn't see this on TV yesterday

Dec 8, 2006
Ben doing the Gator chomp? Love it.

Gators play right into Bulldogs' strengths
By GREGG ELLIS
SPECIAL TO THE SUN HERALD

GAINESVILLE, Fla. --
With just a minute remaining on the clock and the outcome still somewhat in doubt, Jarvis Varnado hammered the final nail in Florida's coffin on a break-away dunk.

The lead swelled to 11, and most in stands regretfully knew it was over, as evident of their abrupt departure toward the exits.

Likewise, Ben Hansbrough knew it was all but over too, and he wasn't about to let the Gator faithful leave without a parting gift.

Peddling backwards toward midcourt with quite the smile on his face, he did his best rendition of Florida's famous "chomp" with his hands. And if anyone earned the right to poke a little fun, it was the sophomore guard.

For the second Saturday in a row on the road, Hansbrough showed his penchant for delivering big with a 20-point performance to propel the Bulldogs past the Gators in impressive fashion, 68-59.

But this was more than just a win.

For starters, MSU clinched the Western Division crown outright, while at the same time keeping itself in striking distance for the overall title.

It was also the type of victory that can only help State's NCAA tournament resume, and one that should have sealed the deal.

"It still means a lot to beat Florida," Hansbrough said. "Especially because this puts us at the top of the SEC West. We've won it outright."

And the the Bulldogs won with their top player - Jamont Gordon - having not at his best.

The junior point guard managed just four points and hit just one of his eight shots. Fortunately for him, his teammates had his back.

Joining Hansbrough in double digits were Charles Rhodes with 15, Varnado with 11 and Barry Stewart with 10.

That balance, MSU coach Rick Stansbury said, was indeed the difference.

"I thought our kids did an unbelievable job from the start," said the 10th-year coach, whose team improved to 20-8 overall and 11-3 in the SEC. "It never got out of control. We spurted out and kept the crowd out of it. For the most part, we controlled the flow of game.

"But if you told me we'd go on road and win with Jamont having just four points, I'd be surprised. Shows you the balance of the team and the patience we've got."

Despite playing with the advantage of 12,127 fans on its side, Florida led only once, 4-3 on a shot by Jai Lucas.

From that point, though, MSU orchestrated an 11-0 run to take a 14-4 lead on a tip-in by Rhodes and never looked back.

Yes. The Gators would make their runs. But each time, MSU would go to a zone defense to stop the bleeding.

"The zone has been good for us," Stansbury said. "They were driving the ball to the rim too much off that ball screen at the top. The zone eliminates those things. You play in that zone enough, and you don't give up easy shots around the rim."

Which is what the Gators got on a putback by Marreese Speights with 3:10 remaining to cut the lead to 58-52.

But on State's next trip down the court, Hansbrough padded the advantage with his fourth and final 3-pointer of the game.

"Anytime you come into Florida and get a win, that's big," Varnado said. "This is a good Florida team, I think. So it's a big win."

Gators coach Billy Donovan credited MSU for playing to its strengths.

However, he said his team played to the Bulldogs' strength as well, and that wasn't a good thing.

Too many rushed shots, he noted, and not to mention poor shot selection inside, which led to seven blocks for MSU.

"I thought we exposed our own weaknesses," he said. "I thought attacking them, we needed to beat them through ball movement, screening and making them move around. But we played in their hands.

"We took quick, ill-advised shots, and when you're not rebounding, you're playing into their hands because they are the best rebounding team in the country. When you're not making shots, it makes it that much harder."

The Gators (21-8, 8-6) were just 22-of-61 shooting, while MSU was 23-of-55. Speights led Florida with 20 points, while Nick Calathes added 18. Each team totaled 40 rebounds.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login