Diesel Cheaper than Unleaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Today here in North MS the diesel was cheaper than the unleaded regular. Can someone please explain that?

Walmart in OB $3.09 UL $2.97 D.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Not here (Starkville) $2.86 for 87 octane WalMart grocery, $3.47 for diesel. Prices from GasBuddy.

Edit: Checked Olive Branch and Murphy Oil was $2.67 for 87 octane and $2.95 diesel

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Not here (Starkville) $2.86 for 87 octane WalMart grocery, $3.47 for diesel. Prices from GasBuddy.

Edit: Checked Olive Branch and Murphy Oil was $2.67 for 87 octane and $2.95 diesel
Just what I was about to say. Starkvegas hasn't gotten that memo. I wish they would, though. 34 gallons at $3.47 hurts like hell every week.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Today here in North MS the diesel was cheaper than the unleaded regular. Can someone please explain that?

Walmart in OB $3.09 UL $2.97 D.
I'd have to ask at the office but We are exporting more gasoline (about 300,000 bpd more) now than we were a month ago and exporting less Diesel (63,000 bpd less).

What you have to remember is that since Obama lifted the 4 decade Export ban, the US, but especially in the south, are competing with other countries for refined products (i.e., gasoline and diesel). We keep our refineries going full blast and sell to Mexico, South America, Europe, and China.

The refiners will sell to whoever pays the best. We have an advantage in there are 2 MAJOR refined products pipelines running across south Mississippi, and that transport cost is cheap. ( it's also why Meridian and Collins should have the lowest gas prices in Mississippi, there are pumps and storage there). But, sometimes the price is better in mexico...

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Diesel was usually cheaper when I was younger. Not sure why they have inversed presently.

View attachment 352769

I know it started right after Katrina. That may have been pure coincidence, though. I'm not insinuating any link. I think that is also about the time that the low sulfur diesel became mandatory so I am sure that has had an input in gas prices. I remember in spring of 04 I drove up to SD to go turkey hunting. During that trip was the first time it cost me over $50 to fill my 34 gallon tank up. Now that is even half a tank. Not too long ago it was barely over a 1/4 tank.

Reactions: dorndawg

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I know it started right after Katrina. That may have been pure coincidence, though. I'm not insinuating any link. I think that is also about the time that the low sulfur diesel became mandatory so I am sure that has had an input in gas prices. I remember in spring of 04 I drove up to SD to go turkey hunting. During that trip was the first time it cost me over $50 to fill my 34 gallon tank up. Now that is even half a tank. Not too long ago it was barely over a 1/4 tank.
The EPA lowered the allowable sulpher content in diesel fuel. That went into effect in the mid 2000s's. That is part of the equation.

Mar 3, 2008
2 yrs ago all our work trucks were diesel 2500’s. We have slowly traded them all for gas burners. Except for my truck. The gas burners have worked just as well and all the associated cost and fuel are cheaper. I’m never going back. If I could find my truck in a gas burner I’d switch today. Landscape and lawn care is the business. Our fuel cost have doubled since Biden took over.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Charging costs are ZERO nationwide for me in my 2017 Tesla Model S at any Tesla supercharging station.
Just sayin’

Blldawg87

May 24, 2013
Definitely will be for me when that 3.0L diesel Silverado 1500 comes in, in just a couple weeks. Well over 20 MPH hwy with that truck

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Our fuel cost have doubled since Biden took over.
For at least 25 years, the price at the pump has not been tied to who is in office.
Gas has been cheap under presidents and it has been expensive under the same presidents.
Some have come into office as gas was trending down and patted themselves on the back.
Some have come into office as gas trending up and been blamed for the increase, while also blaming prior admin.

Gas fluctuated like 70% under Clinton.
Gas fluctuated 380% under W Bush.
It was volatile under Obama and Trump.
Yada Yada. Gas prices are volatile as 17 and it's crazy to accept, but there are more factors than just who is in office for a brief handful of years.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Diesel prices went up starting in 2003 - 2004 when the single largest consumer of diesel in the world expanded into Iraq and Afghanistan- the United States Military. I am actually surprised they remained this high for as long as they have.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I for years have thought the both the elevated cost of diesel and the EPA’s ridiculously stupid war against it as a passenger vehicle engine fuel was linked to national security. The refineries here are tooled to extract more gasoline than diesel for several reasons. If an already tight diesel supply is further strained by passenger vehicles sipping diesel, it could threaten supply for heavy trucks, construction, farming, and military. I have yet to see a military vehicle with a lithium battery.

On a related note, I read an article where a heavy truck company in Joliet, IL petitioned the city for an electric truck distribution hub. I think the plans were for it to be the central hub of about 30 electric heavy trucks. When the grid load was calculated, the city was going to have to double the city’s entire existing load, which was of course, not feasible with current infrastructure. The permit was denied. Another company in California wanted to electrify 12 heavy forklifts. It too, was denied for because of grid load.

I’m going to stop here and allow anyone who thinks lithium batteries can replace diesel, or all vehicles, to think about that. For these idiotic mandates to even be laughably plausible, we better start building a whole bunch of nuclear power stations right now or stfu about these electric vehicles in mass quantities being sustainable.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Charging costs are ZERO nationwide for me in my 2017 Tesla Model S at any Tesla supercharging station.
Just sayin’
Do the Nationwide Tesla Supercharging Stations have quaint little waiting rooms w/ TV and magazines where one can sip ones tea while waiting for ones "2017 Tesla Model S" to top off? Just askin'

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchdawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
For at least 25 years, the price at the pump has not been tied to who is in office.
Gas has been cheap under presidents and it has been expensive under the same presidents.
Some have come into office as gas was trending down and patted themselves on the back.
Some have come into office as gas trending up and been blamed for the increase, while also blaming prior admin.

Yada Yada. Gas prices are volatile as 17 and it's crazy to accept, but there are more factors than just who is in office for a brief handful of years.

Douche bag arrives to save the day!!!!

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

#1- just because you’re a fact checker doesn’t mean it’s true. surprised you didn’t use media matters as your source

#2-energy prices are set by the laws of supply and demand. when a 5hitty dem president kills the economy then price at the pump will drop. did you notice the recent opec moves?

#3-an all of the above energy supply will increase supply and lower costs

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Do the Nationwide Tesla Supercharging Stations have quaint little waiting rooms w/ TV and magazines where one can sip ones tea while waiting for ones "2017 Tesla Model S" to top off? Just askin'
Starbucks will be popping up right next to all the stations if they haven't already done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login