Ding Dong Ditch update

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

The homeowner has solved the problem. I don’t think jail cells have doorbells, could be wrong. Sadly, neither do headstones. Biggest take away for me, if you’re fleeing the scene of a crime, get a better car than a Prius. Opt for the full electric, fully charged. Can’t touch that speed.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004

The homeowner has solved the problem. I don’t think jail cells have doorbells, could be wrong. Sadly, neither do headstones. Biggest take away for me, if you’re fleeing the scene of a crime, get a better car than a Prius. Opt for the full electric, fully charged. Can’t touch that speed.
Sound advice and make sure it's the owner that has the Prius.

Reactions: aTotal360

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It sounds like cases, where people overreact to this extreme are occurring way too often. I don't know if it's because people overreact because of how our world has changed, and they are more susceptible to losing it because we have more pressures in our current society. You never heard of stories like this before. You see examples of people losing it on the news or social media. So is this "the new normal," or are there way too many problems after the lockdown that are putting pressure on everyone or are there just more ******** than we had before.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It sounds like cases, where people overreact to this extreme are occurring way too often. I don't know if it's because people overreact because of how our world has changed, and they are more susceptible to losing it because we have more pressures in our current society. You never heard of stories like this before. You see examples of people losing it on the news or social media. So is this "the new normal," or are there way too many problems after the lockdown that are putting pressure on everyone or are there just more ******** than we had before.
Dude said he had just consumed 12 beers. Could’ve been a factor. Maybe not.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not sure I had a guy threaten to kill us teenagers hanging out in a church parking lot years ago because he thought we rolled and forked his yard. That was a long long time ago. Hot heads have always been around. Luckily it was just an empty threat because he was mad. Let's not forget it was still 1900s in west people would shoot people for hardly anything.

Reactions: The Fatboy

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
6 people in a Prius?

That is an awful story to read. The guy was driving at 100mph to catch them, he had 12 beers leading up to his decision to chase them down, and he was already in trouble for domestic issues?
Terrible dbags are everywhere.

I hope the 3 survivors are able to move on and make an impact as adults.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

I have a 16 year old and warn him about doing stuff like. Folks are just too on edge now, riled up mostly by false stories on social media.

Check your local, "let's talk______" facebook page or Nextdoor and see how many white women actually believe they, or their kids, are going to get sexually trafficked at Walmarks,

Aug 15, 2011
Never ever ever mess or trespass on someone's property. You might find yourself looking at end of the barrel of a gun or like in this case getting chased down and run over. Way too many hot heads, drunks, and paranoids out there to take that gamble.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I have a 16 year old and warn him about doing stuff like. Folks are just too on edge now, riled up mostly by false stories on social media.

Check your local, "let's talk______" facebook page or Nextdoor and see how many white women actually believe they, or their kids, are going to get sexually trafficked at Walmarks,
Warning about zip ties on door handles, or men staring at them in a store while their friends are parked next to them in a van still running.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We live in a highly divisive culture where we are conditioned to fear the "other", basically anyone not like you. We also collectively value life less, and value ourselves more.

If people were getting killed for ringing doorbells or mooning people when I was growing up we would've lost a whole generation of boys...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We live in a highly divisive culture where we are conditioned to fear the "other", basically anyone not like you. We also collectively value life less, and value ourselves more.

If people were getting killed for ringing doorbells or mooning people when I was growing up we would've lost a whole generation of boys...
I'm sure some did, maybe for similar activities, or something worse or better. But one thing is for certain, we did not have social media to allow everyone to know about every specific activity, all over the country and world. It makes it seem like these things are much more widespread than they really are.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure it’s really happening more as opposed to just being reported and going viral. We are wired to extrapolate from our experiences which works decently well and works really poorly when we’re exposed to news stories across a nation of 330 million people.

I do sort of suspect that as safety and quality of life has improved, we have become less willing to tolerate risks that earlier people would have shrugged at. But not sure that’s relevant to this situation.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I'm not sure if we have more pressures or we don't how to handle things because most people don't face real hard problems. So we have to invent fake problems.

there is saying something to the effect of "Hard times makes hard men. Hard men make soft times. Soft times make soft men. Soft men make hard times."

It can be argued that we are in the phase of making or have made soft men.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Although we (collectively) had less and much less expendable income, I think folks for the most part were happier in the 70s and 80s. The financial pressures we put ourselves under today and the materialism we let infiltrate our lives certainly has put more pressure on us.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I'm sure some did, maybe for similar activities, or something worse or better. But one thing is for certain, we did not have social media to allow everyone to know about every specific activity, all over the country and world. It makes it seem like these things are much more widespread than they really are.
Sort of like back in the 80's we didn't have dumbasses eating laundry detergent and daring others to do it. I don't know if it is social media, kids being spoiled little sh!ts being given everything so they have way too much free time, or both, but damn the youth today seem to be dumber than a bag of rocks. They have plenty of book sense but when it comes down to walking around sense they're on the proverbial short bus licking the windows as it goes down the street.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
the only thing I feared was corporal punishment from any adult in proximity to me who caught me...zero percent chance I lived around anyone who would have done this, or ever even would have dreamed of such. Also zero percent chance that any adult who caught me would hesitate to spank me and return me to my parents for a second round...to your point, we certainly had fewer options for information, but I have to believe that something like this would have made national/AP news and been talked about all over.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
, but I have to believe that something like this would have made national/AP news and been talked about all over.
Possibly, but it wouldn't stay for long. It would morph in the the rumor mill into an urban legend and every neighborhood would be convinced it was their own Old Man Magilicutty.

Confession time: Somewhere between the ages of 13-16 we grew bored of the run of the mill "ding dong ditch" (called something else then) and stepped our game up a notch. One person would be at the door at the ready, the other would be by the front stoop lighting a firework. Fuse lit, whispered yell "GO", bell rung, haul ***! On foot of course, when you can drive you stop such nonsense. We only did it a handful of times with black cats or an M-60. We ran out of those and chose a small bottle rocket. It went into the house. We ran and hid like hell, going deeper in hedges and waiting longer than we ever had before; taking shortcuts through back yards, etc.

I never rang another doorbell and left. We were always afraid we'd be caught, even before the fireworks. We were more afraid of our parents at home if we were caught, than the homeowner or the police. Getting into trouble back then had consequences. No one wanted to get into trouble.

These days the parents believe their own kids' bullshlt and blame the adults around them; in school, on teams, in the neighbothood, on the streets vs the law. But hey, actual crimes don't have consequences for adults now either. That, I believe, is one reason people are more on edge now. The other is one you already mentioned, that we're polarized more than ever. Social media is training people to hate people they've never met and teaching them to give no one a chance if they are: a certain skin color, or have faith, vote a certain way one time, wear a red hat, have the wrong political bumper sticker, or play certain music too loud etc.

OK, off my soap box. Get off my lawn and get away from my doorbell.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Possibly, but it wouldn't stay for long. It would morph in the the rumor mill into an urban legend and every neighborhood would be convinced it was their own Old Man Magilicutty.

Confession time: Somewhere between the ages of 13-16 we grew bored of the run of the mill "ding dong ditch" (called something else then) and stepped our game up a notch. One person would be at the door at the ready, the other would be by the front stoop lighting a firework. Fuse lit, whispered yell "GO", bell rung, haul ***! On foot of course, when you can drive you stop such nonsense. We only did it a handful of times with black cats or an M-60. We ran out of those and chose a small bottle rocket. It went into the house. We ran and hid like hell, going deeper in hedges and waiting longer than we ever had before; taking shortcuts through back yards, etc.

I never rang another doorbell and left. We were always afraid we'd be caught, even before the fireworks. We were more afraid of our parents at home if we were caught, than the homeowner or the police. Getting into trouble back then had consequences. No one wanted to get into trouble.

These days the parents believe their own kids' bullshlt and blame the adults around them; in school, on teams, in the neighbothood, on the streets vs the law. But hey, actual crimes don't have consequences for adults now either. That, I believe, is one reason people are more on edge now. The other is one you already mentioned, that we're polarized more than ever. Social media is training people to hate people they've never met and teaching them to give no one a chance if they are: a certain skin color, or have faith, vote a certain way one time, wear a red hat, have the wrong political bumper sticker, or play certain music too loud etc.

OK, off my soap box. Get off my lawn and get away from my doorbell.
We graduated to slipping a firecracker under the old brass door knocker when we found a door that had one. That makes quite a bit of combined noise. We also implemented our own "justice" system for people who reported us but were not the target of the initial attack. A little MYOB is good for the soul...

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
A few years ago, I was home alone on a Saturday, trying to take a nap. Three kids, about 4th grade or so, kept ding dong ditching. I could see them coming to the door every time, pretty easy to figure out. But I needed a nap and the dogs kept barking, so I was annoyed.
After the 500th time, I went outside a d just waked toward them... and kept walking. They would run and stop, and I'd keep walking toward them.
They finally ran far enough away, so I went back home. I guess they got scared because they stopped. That seemed to work fine.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
There’s more media coverage. There’s no more incidents one way or the other. We just hear about it more than we used to.

Reactions: mcdawg22
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login