Disney in preliminary talks with Nexstar purchasing ABC.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I remember when Byron Allen was a back-up comedian/host on Real People on NBC. The idea that he is now a major media mogul and might own ABC is just amazing to me. Well done, Byron Allen.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I remember when Byron Allen was a back-up comedian/host on Real People on NBC. The idea that he is now a major media mogul and might own ABC is just amazing to me. Well done, Byron Allen.
I generally assumed it was a different person. Ha.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I thought the same thing. I remember he had a late night talk show when I was 10. I assumed it was a different guy, but no… it’s the same dude. Amazing.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So... it sounds like this is all highly speculative and very preliminary, but here's how I see it if it were to shake out:

1. ABC would likely hold on to ESPN's network broadcast rights for some period of time after the purchase. ESPN would produce the broadcasts and ABC would license them (potentially through their next contracted Super Bowls). Kind of like how Hulu still has shows from Fox and NBC even though both sold their Hulu shares to Disney. I don't know if it would be for the full 10 years of the SEC contract with ESPN.

2. If/when the ESPN agreement with ABC/Nexstar ends, the SEC ESPN deal looks a lot less appealing since it removes linear OTA broadcasts, which is a key component. Suddenly, the Big Ten, Big 12, Notre Dame, and ACC have national OTA broadcasts and the SEC doesn't.

3. I think this would be the point where ESPN goes full speed ahead on streaming and uses that as a bargaining chip to keep the SEC (and its other licensed partners) happy. Alternatively, they'd have to shop ESPN produced broadcasts to the networks and they all seem to already have pretty full Saturday broadcast slates.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Be interesting to see how this affects SEC games television scheduling if it were to happen.
People looked at me like I had three heads when I said that Disney would sell parts of their company if they kept losing money. Being a leader of the Woke world costs lots of money. The biggest problem is they tried to buy everything and it ended up biting them in the ***. n

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
People looked at me like I had three heads when I said that Disney would sell parts of their company if they kept losing money. Being a leader of the Woke world costs lots of money. The biggest problem is they tried to buy everything and it ended up biting them in the ***. n
The problem is they can't sell the things they probably need to sell. They bought ABC back in the 90's, so Iger can sell them. But all the **** he overpaid for and then set torch to the value of he can't sell both because he doesn't want to highlight his 17ups and also because it'd likely force them to recognize some huge losses.

Everybody with disney stock should be allowed to flog people like Iger and Kathleen Kennedy that just set their money on fire because they wanted to pat themselves on the back about being woke.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The problem is they can't sell the things they probably need to sell. They bought ABC back in the 90's, so Iger can sell them. But all the **** he overpaid for and then set torch to the value of he can't sell both because he doesn't want to highlight his 17ups and also because it'd likely force them to recognize some huge losses.

Everybody with disney stock should be allowed to flog people like Iger and Kathleen Kennedy that just set their money on fire because they wanted to pat themselves on the back about being woke.
the lion king eyeroll GIF by DisneyJunior

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login