Dixie no more...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Dixie State in Utah will be Utah Tech...

By the way, kudos to the graphic design team for creating an outline of the state of Utah via negative space...

hello let's talk about Utah Tech's new brandinghttps://t.co/4oGcRMHRXj pic.twitter.com/w2XjvzlaII— Matt Brown (@MattBrownEP) May 16, 2022

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Good. Should have happened years ago. Not because it’s racially offensive, but actually because it’s geographically offensive.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Surprised it took this long. I assume this has been in the works for years.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Don't people have to hear about the place before it can become offensive? I have never heard of that place by either name.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Same and the context of Utah and if there is anything Dixie there it must be the paper cups

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Is it improper to call a yankee a yankee? Bruce are you offended? Geez Louise, people worry about the stupidest ****.

And thanks for posting this, it really made me feel righteous that the people in Utah think that the word Dixie is racist.** Holy crap, I wish our baseball team didn’t suck.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Just throwing this out there....

By the way, kudos to the graphic design team for creating an outline of the state of Utah via negative space...

hello let's talk about Utah Tech's new brandinghttps://t.co/4oGcRMHRXj pic.twitter.com/w2XjvzlaII— Matt Brown (@MattBrownEP) May 16, 2022

View attachment 24449

just throwing this out there

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
FWIW, they have always called the southern part of Utah “Dixie.” If you watched the local weather for example, they would say “warmer temps down in “Dixie” etc.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah. I can get the regional place name argument but the school's mascot also used to be Rebels up until 2009.

That's just odd.

Edit to note: But UNLV chose to be the Rebels because they're the southern university when compared to the University of Nevada.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Is it improper to call a yankee a yankee? Bruce are you offended? Geez Louise, people worry about the stupidest ****.

And thanks for posting this, it really made me feel righteous that the people in Utah think that the word Dixie is racist.** Holy crap, I wish our baseball team didn’t suck.

I agree.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That area of Utah was settled by converts to the Mormon church from Mississippi, Tenn and Alabama. A few of them were former slave owners. They could not be a slave owner and join the church. They either sold or freed their slave. I would bet they sold them. They moved there and tried to raise cotton but the harsh conditions forced them to leave. They all got sick. Others did move in there and made it work. They were not the one's name it Dixie. It was nicknamed given by the rest of Utah because it was settled by southerners. This was in the 1850's. I go to church with a Lady and Husband who both graduated from Dixie. They will correct you quickly if you get the history wrong.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was hoping you'd reply to this thread and give some background here. Thanks.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

Dang, I would never have noticed the use of negative space there. Dad would approve.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Good. Should have happened years ago. Not because it’s racially offensive, but actually because it’s geographically offensive.

So I had a professor at state that did cultural geography paper on the term Dixie and looked in to the areas of the word Dixie was common. Obviously the south is one of them but he found a large region in Utah/Nevada also yielded results for things being named Dixie and having rebels in their name. I'll have to see if I can find the paper but it was interesting enough to have stuff like that in Utah where you wouldn't think it would be.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login