Do any of you people actually work on Fridays?

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
Yesterday’s locked threads suggest not.
I took a duck in for mounting this week . The place is usually bustling with activity but was dead upon my visit. I asked the owner what was going on and he just shook his head and said he just can’t find anyone willing to work anymore. It’s a very widespread problem and getting worse not better.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I don’t. I did my time. Now, I am living the life.
Likewise. Went in early and stayed late, except on Friday I left at my scheduled time to do so. Went back in for 3 or 4 hours most Saturdays and went in for a couple lots of Sundays. I am out. Refuse to even think about it.

Reactions: HRMSU

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I took a duck in for mounting this week . The place is usually bustling with activity but was dead upon my visit. I asked the owner what was going on and he just shook his head and said he just can’t find anyone willing to work anymore. It’s a very widespread problem and getting worse not better.
I’m not saying this is the case in this situation but what I’ve noticed is a lot of small business and very small business like what I’d imagine your taxidermist likely is, are getting priced out for employees. I graduated college in 2008, so not a great time and also not too terribly long ago… but the last couple of years have been the first time during my working career that employees have kind of had employers by the balls. As a result, wages have increased and made it pretty tough on some employers.

I agree there is a problem I just don’t think the problem is as simple as people won’t work. Unemployment continues to be very low. The problem I’ve seen is some businesses are unwilling to match wages that people can get elsewhere, either because they refuse to raise wages or they just can’t from a profit standpoint.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I literally started working after school for free at age 8 in my parents business. Mowed grass, emptied trash, filled drink machines, washed windows, etc, and retired at 64. Worked Fridays and pretty much every other day for 58 years. I am back to working for free on our farm / hunting land these days but it’s a labor of love. With that being said, I find the lazy, don’t want to work attitude of so many these days very sad and troubling. How do you have any self esteem going through life depending on someone else for everything? Too much free money? Had it too easy growing up? I don’t know, but it’s not good.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I literally started working after school for free at age 8 in my parents business. Mowed grass, emptied trash, filled drink machines, washed windows, etc, and retired at 64. Worked Fridays and pretty much every other day for 58 years. I am back to working for free on our farm / hunting land these days but it’s a labor of love. With that being said, I find the lazy, don’t want to work attitude of so many these days very sad and troubling. How do you have any self esteem going through life depending on someone else for everything? Too much free money? Had it too easy growing up? I don’t know, but it’s not good.
OK Boomer

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In fairness I don’t want to work either.

Last edited:
Reactions: coach66 and kired

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Only the occasional Friday. Scheduled to work four 10's M-Th but its usually 10-12 hours. Never want to go back to 5 days.

Getting in the woods or on the water on Friday before all the weekenders is so good. Sometimes take a Thur vac day for that one added day without the crowd.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You know things have gotten ridiculous when even the exciting world of taxidermy is having trouble attracting workers.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I quit work because they would not let me work Saturday or Sundays.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I’m not saying this is the case in this situation but what I’ve noticed is a lot of small business and very small business like what I’d imagine your taxidermist likely is, are getting priced out for employees. I graduated college in 2008, so not a great time and also not too terribly long ago… but the last couple of years have been the first time during my working career that employees have kind of had employers by the balls. As a result, wages have increased and made it pretty tough on some employers.

I agree there is a problem I just don’t think the problem is as simple as people won’t work. Unemployment continues to be very low. The problem I’ve seen is some businesses are unwilling to match wages that people can get elsewhere, either because they refuse to raise wages or they just can’t from a profit standpoint.
You make some good points.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I work Fridays. Same as the other weekdays- just gotta get all my stuff done and am good.

It's tough to concentrate on what I do for 8 straight hours, so I don't. I now take frequent breaks and I am better at my job as well as happier.

Sometimes I will start early or end late. Sometimes I will do an hour or two on the weekend.

The flexibility and trust is amazing, especially when compared to my old job for the first 18 years post college where it was often more important to be seen at the start and end of each day, regardless of productivity.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm in real estate and Fridays are typically my most busy day. Around 2pm my phone doesn't stop ringing until 8pm. For that matter, I'm working sporadically on Saturday and Sunday.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yesterday’s locked threads suggest not.
When I was running a studio, Fridays were a set up day. We would assemble the base for a project we started on Monday morning. Pretty much everything sent up on Thursday. Many of our guys heading out in the field are already there on Friday. I could get a lot of work accomplished on Friday my favorite time to come in with Sunday morning when I would have nobody bothering me for at least four or five hours, I would crank out episodes by the ton.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Last thing anybody wants to hear is how hard people used to have it and how little they made. We all inflation is a mfer. And older people raised younger people. So it’d be more productive to work on solutions when it comes to affordability of things.

I don’t think you can do much about housing. I do think some of these areas where a lot of baby boomers live will probably come down a bit in the future as they are all getting older and checking out (not trying to be morbid, just being factual). These are the vacation spots in my mind. But in the job center cities, I don’t think it’s coming down.

Wages and the price of goods? I don’t know man, you better start welcoming some immigrants.

I have no idea what all these kids are gonna do as far as the ones who got useless college degrees and now aren’t willing to work lesser jobs. But the parents also pushed that. Soooo….who knows.

This might just be our new reality.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
People will work for the correct wage.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
People will work for the correct wage.
Well then you better expect to pay more for what used to be considered cheap things.

The solution for me is basically not to eat fast food, etc. so you’re hurting certain sectors of the economy.

Rock and hard place.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login