Do we have any breweries in Starkvegas?

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I thought I remember hearing about one in the cotton district.

WVU (and others) have a great idea that would be awesome for our NIL

Brings up a question, when the concessions business is competed by the university can a company pitch an NIL % donation as part of their bid? Assume state laws might come into play and it might be tied to the overarching food service contract for the university, but if the university were to contract concessions to the NIL, then maybe the NIL can sub it out?

Aug 24, 2012
I thought I remember hearing about one in the cotton district.

WVU (and others) have a great idea that would be awesome for our NIL

Need an accountant or tax advisor to answer how a business can give revenue to a “for profit” like an NIL collective entity and not show the revenue as a gain? How do they show this as an operating expense?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Need an accountant or tax advisor to answer how a business can give revenue to a “for profit” like an NIL collective entity and not show the revenue as a gain? How do they show this as an operating expense?
They probably call it a marketing/advertising expense.

Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
If the NIL collective is a 501c3 organization, a business can write off up to 25% of taxable income as a "charitable contribution" not sure if the Bulldog Initiative is that type of organization or not though.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If the NIL collective is a 501c3 organization, a business can write off up to 25% of taxable income as a "charitable contribution" not sure if the Bulldog Initiative is that type of organization or not though.
They aren't. Most of them are LLCs. NCAA recently just clarified that too, the 'gifts' are not tax deductible.

My question is do the collectives pay tax on the money they receive? Not sure how they get around that.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There is one in Spring Street Cigars, where mugshots was originally. Great cigar shop.
I don't do cigars but went in Spring Street to at least try some of their beer. I had to leave w/ it, I just can't take the smoke it was awful. Beer wasn't good either

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
They aren't. Most of them are LLCs. NCAA recently just clarified that too, the 'gifts' are not tax deductible.

My question is do the collectives pay tax on the money they receive? Not sure how they get around that.
Are they really LLC’s? Wouldn’t that put the tax burden on an individual? If there is a tax burden. I figure most are managing to a zero profit.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Are they really LLC’s? Wouldn’t that put the tax burden on an individual? If there is a tax burden. I figure most are managing to a zero profit.
Yes. The BI is definitely a LLC. But the individual isn’t getting a membership interest in the LLC so the income would not K-1 out to them. It’s a unique tax question though.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yes. The BI is definitely a LLC. But the individual isn’t getting a membership interest in the LLC so the income would not K-1 out to them. It’s a unique tax question though.
I worded that terrible but I meant the owner of the bulldog initiative has the tax burden. No idea who that is but given Charlie Winfield seems to run it, I’m guessing he is.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I worded that terrible but I meant the owner of the bulldog initiative has the tax burden. No idea who that is but given Charlie Winfield seems to run it, I’m guessing he is.
Well if it’s single member they will just pay the liability from the funds of the collective. But I reiterate I dont completely understand the taxability of it.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
That's actually a pretty good beer from Buffalo Bayou in Houston. Too bad their distribution network is relatively small. Have any of ya'll found More Cowbell in Mississippi?
Oh it's real? Fantastic
It would be awesome if they got a little more backing and Selmon made a deal for them to supply events/games

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Oh it's real? Fantastic
It would be awesome if they got a little more backing and Selmon made a deal for them to supply events/games
Yes, it’s real (just not made by “Starkvegas Brewery”. It’s my go to for watching football games:

Buffalo Bayou has a pretty big following in Houston and all of SE Texas. I don’t think they do much nationally, though.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
During my days, big Al had all us ChEs brewing beer. It should have happened a few times over for public consumption.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
1817 Brewery is in Okolona MS and they make some good beer. Bulldog Burger has it on draft ,they don't bottle or can yet but I'm sure that coming. I see the guy who owns it fairly regular. Next time I see him ill ask if he's ever considered doing something like this.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
1817 Brewery is in Okolona MS and they make some good beer. Bulldog Burger has it on draft ,they don't bottle or can yet but I'm sure that coming. I see the guy who owns it fairly regular. Next time I see him ill ask if he's ever considered doing something like this.
Report back if you remember.

Please and thank you

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login