Do You Care?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I listen to Dan Patrick every morning and over the past few weeks the Kyler Murray study clause in his contract was discussed as if people care about it. Today the 6 game suspension for DeShaun Watson comes down and the discussion is the outrage of the fans and how the NFL needs to appeal it because of that outrage.

I seems to me neither of these are fan outraged. I don't think fans give a **** about either. Now the media is a different story. I think it is them that had issues with these topics. The topic that fans were actually outraged about, the kneeling during the National Anthem, was not expressed in that way because generally the media were all for that issue.

Part of the thing that makes me think this is the discussions on our board here. I don't see much on either of those two original topics. I know the kneeling had many different discussions here.

Last edited:

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I don't see it as an attack on all black quarterbacks. Maybe it's just an attack on Kyler Murray. Maybe he doesn't watch enough film. That doesn't mean they think black quarterbacks don't watch film. And I know I could not possibly care any less. If he doesn't like it he should go elsewhere.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
On a related note, seems like left and right news media loves to regurgitate the words “this is a real threat to our democracy”

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I listen to Dan Patrick every morning and over the past few weeks the Kyler Murray study clause in his contract was discussed as if people care about it. Today the 6 game suspension for DeShaun Watson comes down and the discussion is the outrage of the fans and how the NFL needs to appeal it because of that outrage.

I seems to me neither of these are fan outrage. I don't think fans give a **** about either. Now the media is a different story. I think it is them that had issues with these topics. The topic that fans were actually outraged about, the kneeling during the National Anthem, was not expressed in that way because generally the media were all for that issue.

Part of the thing that makes me think this is the discussions on our board here. I don't see much on either of those two original topics. I know the kneeling had many different discussions here.

You put your finger on it. It's just the media trying to stir crap up to get people outraged and drive clicks.

Do I think Watson is a POS? Probably, but I'm not privy to all the information in front of the person who made the decision on the suspension, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't affect my life one way or another.

Do I think Kyler Murray's contract clause is racist? No, because I don't know Kyler Murray's study habits. I suspect it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with Kyler Murray's study habits.

Dan Patrick and all the morons on ESPN have to fill up hours on top of hours of radio and TV airwaves, so that's a big part of the problem. Stephen A Smith has gotta be faux outraged over something or his show is a dud.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't see it as an attack on all black quarterbacks. Maybe it's just an attack on Kyler Murray. Maybe he doesn't watch enough film. That doesn't mean they think black quarterbacks don't watch film. And I know I could not possibly care any less. If he doesn't like it he should go elsewhere.

Why would it be an attack on all black quarterbacks? Was that even suggested in the first post?
Of course this isnt an attack on all black quarterbacks.

...maybe I missed something and it is reported as being an attack on all black quarterbacks.

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
They're just stirring the pot like all media does. I certainly don't give af

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I seems to me neither of these are fan outraged. I don't think fans give a **** about either. Now the media is a different story. I think it is them that had issues with these topics. The topic that fans were actually outraged about, the kneeling during the National Anthem, was not expressed in that way because generally the media were all for that issue.

1- I dont care that there was a clause stating Murray needs to study on his own. Thats an odd thing to require- how do they track it if its on his own time?...but if the team felt it was needed, then OK.
2- I dont care that Murray signed the contract and agreed to the clause. People telling him he was wrong to sign are absurd since they dont have all the info.
3- Media didnt create these stories, the stories existed and media reported on them. If they arent interesting, then the stories will die off quickly. Its how news commentary works.
4- You overestimate how much actual outrage existed due to players kneeling. And its ironic you bring this up since it actually was a HUGE media story. It was discussed in news articles, op-eds, TV rants, and radio ramblings for months and months. Years, really. How you dont remember this is shocking.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
4. not saying it wasn't a huge story. I am saying that generally the media supported it and downplayed the fans outrage. In most cases they expressed that outraged fans were wrong in their outrage. The NFL did not react to the fans outrage. I know plenty of die hard NFL fans that walked away in the short term and a percentage of those still don't watch.

where here they are outraged when there is nothing to be outraged about.

I really don't know why any company or politician or celebrity even worries about public opinion anymore. It seems things that would have ended careers in the past just don't matter anymore. The only thing that seems to cause pariah status, is defending conservative views. Even that actually helps those that do, due to kickback. There are enough people on both sides that any opinion in the long run doesn't really matter. Michael Jordan's statement "... Republicans wear sneakers too" is no longer relevant.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I like Warren Moon. He's always been one of my favorites and he legitimately did get screwed over by the black QB stigma back then. But he's 100% wrong about this.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Umm....because Warren Moon said it was. But in reality, as I stated I don't look at it that way. I think those kinds of statements are ridiculous and overly sensitive. For example if someone said Mstateglfr was an idiot I wouldn't take that as an attack on white people. Or Sixpack posters. It's entirely possible that a person can think Kyler doesn't watch enough film while simultaneously believing Russel Wilson lives in the film room. Just silly typical thought process these days

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Umm....because Warren Moon said it was. But in reality, as I stated I don't look at it that way. I think those kinds of statements are ridiculous and overly sensitive. For example if someone said Mstateglfr was an idiot I wouldn't take that as an attack on white people. Or Sixpack posters. It's entirely possible that a person can think Kyler doesn't watch enough film while simultaneously believing Russel Wilson lives in the film room. Just silly typical thought process these days

As I said, the first post had nothing about Moon's comments so your reference seemed out of left field. And I also suggested that I may have missed something when I posted 'maybe I missed something'.
On a related note, I was disconnected for the last week and it was glorious.

Your comment makes sense now and I agree with it- the clause doesnt seem racially motivated.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I guess I look at the Kyler deal as being a complete non-story that suddenly became one when a few decided to bring race into it. Maybe the decision to put verbiage like that in a contract was a dumb one to begin with. I don’t know… but the idea that an organization would put that into their franchise QB’s $200M deal without some level of reasoning or due diligence is asinine to me. It was in there for a reason, and the only reason that more backstory hasn’t been divulged is to protect Kyler

As far as Watson goes, I guess I just feel like there isn’t a ton to discuss because we all know that’s going on here. Is Watson a creep? Probably. Did he take advantage of some women? Probably. Did at least some of those women give consent, but now they see dollar signs? Probably. Either way, it’s a bunch of accusations that are getting settled out of court, so there’s just not much for me to say I guess

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
On a related note, seems like left and right news media loves to regurgitate the words “this is a real threat to our democracy”
Except with the left, everything from the conservative side is a "threat to democracy" or an "existential threat", when on the right it is mostly when the left talks of packing SCOTUS, trashes the Constitution, etc.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I agree with Ryan Clark on the Murray deal. Kyler looks bad, but the fact you just paid the guy an insane amount, while also saying he doesn't work hard enough to earn it, is just as bad.
Sports are going to hell at an insane rate.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's what I thought too. If you have to put a clause like that in the contract, why are you even signing him to begin with?

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I care about both. I care about the Kyler Murray thing because I think it's hilarious they had to put that stipulation in writing in his contract

I care about Deshaun Watson's suspension because I took him late in my fantasy draft, hoping he'd get off easy

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Stephen A Smith has gotta be faux outraged over something or his show is a dud.

Did anybody ever watch that show "Let's Be Real". It was only on for about 4 episodes and was puppet-based, but I think this video pretty much captures Stephen A. Smith:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think I care about the Kyler Murray stuff. He's not the first franchise QB to have a screwy clause in his contract and he won't be the last. I think everybody knows I'm as left as they go and even I don't see it as a race thing.

Now... Deshaun Watson is a little bit different story. 6 games is pretty light in comparison to say, Mychal Kendricks who got 8 games for insider trading. No, Watson hasn't been convicted of anything (yet), but 24 different accusations is hard to overlook and paying hush money to 23 of them doesn't make him seem more innocent. Realistically, he should probably be out of the league, but this is kind of par for the hypocritical course for the NFL.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Could care less about either one. They’re making so much money it’s a non issue for me. Cleveland was dumb as nails to sign him for that much money and Murray is dumb for not studying his playbook or for games so he deserved to have that stipulation in his overpaid contract.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Unfortunately, "clickers" would rather talk about race than wins, batting avg or touchdowns. That's why it leads.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I don’t care but the NFL does, & the media has to keep talking about the NFL, even when no ball is played, all year long.

NFL NATIONAL REVENUE TOTALS A RECORD $11 BILLION FOR 2021

The league revenue distributed to the 32 clubs was $11.1 billion and represented more than 60% of their total estimated revenue of $18 billion during last season. The annual check per club will top $400 million when the next round of media contracts kicks off in 2023.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/football/2022/nfl-national-revenue-2021-1234682461/

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
4. not saying it wasn't a huge story. I am saying that generally the media supported it and downplayed the fans outrage. In most cases they expressed that outraged fans were wrong in their outrage. The NFL did not react to the fans outrage. I know plenty of die hard NFL fans that walked away in the short term and a percentage of those still don't watch.

where here they are outraged when there is nothing to be outraged about.

I really don't know why any company or politician or celebrity even worries about public opinion anymore. It seems things that would have ended careers in the past just don't matter anymore. The only thing that seems to cause pariah status, is defending conservative views. Even that actually helps those that do, due to kickback. There are enough people on both sides that any opinion in the long run doesn't really matter. Michael Jordan's statement "... Republicans wear sneakers too" is no longer relevant.

The problem is that your Fox News bubble is not as indicative of reality as you think it is. Nothing else to see here.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No but obviously there are folks who do care and they're the ones who are focused on this topic.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

As much money as they are paying him they should be able to ask for anything short of public degradation. The entitlement level in today's society is pitiful.

Don't they expect the other players to put in study time. The fact that they don't have to put the clause in everyone's contract should actually make Kyler embarrassed. He's the only QB who can do the things he does on the field and now he's the only QB who has to be made to do the same work as the rest of the QBs in the league.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think it has to do with Kyler's own admissions. He admitted last year he doesn't study a bunch and doesn't need to. Here is a link to an article that outlines them.

His talent alone will hit a wall. It's already starting to. He's an incredible athlete. Has been told that all his life. Could be playing baseball now as well.

Problem is, everyone's a great athlete at this level. Something I know you know better than most.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login