Do you need a head coach?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
DS's question about retaining Arnett made me thinks, if money is a real issue at MSU what would happen if you ditched the head coach for co-head coaches (Offensive HC / Defensive HC)? Pay each of them HC level pay to run their area, call plays, etc.

Recruiting coordination would be a tough spot, but maybe you just split scholarships down the middle?

Admittedly, the idea has an odd, Goatesque quality to it so pile on and tell me why it's the dumbest thing you've ever heard.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It would most likely split the team right down the middle. There is a reason it's never been done.
Admittedly, I'm ignorant as to how practices run. I assume that common things would be recruiting, strength and conditioning, meal plans, etc. and that other than scrimmaging against each other, defense and offense would be doing their own things regardless

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You sort of already have that, in many instances. Let me explain.

I think coaches can fit into 3 main categories: Hands-off CEO types (Orgerson, Dabo, what Croom should have been), more of a fundamental coach who has expertise on one side of ball (Saban, Mullen, what Arnett should be, what most coaches are), and then system coaches (Leach, Malzahn, Rich Rod - usually offensive guys). This shows you how important offense is, honestly, because there are no defensive system coaches.

The farther you go on the scale to a system, you really already have what you suggest. Leach was the OC, and even went as far as to hire out 'head' coach duties (Emmerick). Totally delegated the defense, and really only retained the top decision making on certain things.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login