Do you think all these little "good" teams were scheduled to play each other

usmsci

Feb 26, 2008

on purpose? hmmm makes you wonder just a little doesnt it? Butler/S. Bama? Gonzaga/Davidson? W. KY/Drake? maybe they are afraid that one or two of them might take out their beloved. conspiracy??

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006

But in the same way they could have beaten their major conference opponents if they were matched up in the first round, it could happen the other way around.

So you could look at it like this... By matching them up against each other, one of them is guaranteed to advance at least to the second round.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006

but I have to admit I noticed the same thing.

But I don't think it means anything. The other argument you could make is that ensures one of those teams advancing.

And there are other games where you have major conference teams playing each other - Clemson/Villanova, Arkansas/Indiana, Us/Oregon, Marquette/Kentucky, Purdue/Baylor, West Virginia/Baylor.

I think that's just the way the seeds worked out this year.

1984Dawg

Feb 23, 2008

... or 100 times on tv. Mids vs Majors in the 1st round were one of the best things about the tournament in past years. I guess we still get 3 in the 2nd round though.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007

and I normally stick up for the MO Valley. Gonzaga is usually overrated. They really play in a conference in which most teams are far below them.</p>

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008

That's a big YES. This is the ultimate underdog tournament. Some school that no one has ever heard of having their moment in the sun, taking down a big name team. They're trying to set it up so that there is some compelling story that makes you want to watch.

I don't think that they should do that because if Western Kentucky takes down Drake, then it doesn't mean as much as if they went through Syracuse or someone like that.

1984Dawg

Feb 23, 2008

Their RPI was 10th, with a SOS (68) not much worse than Kansas (50). If a 5 is too high, what seed should they have been?

SLUdog

May 28, 2007

I just think their league was a little overrated this year. Maybe a 6 or 7.

1984Dawg

Feb 23, 2008

and then Vandy and UCONN lost to 13's (both mids). Were the ACC, SEC, and Big East overrated?

When your RPI is 10 and you get a 5 seed, they're already taking into account the weakness of your league.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login