Do you think those against Dan Mullen

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
are just bored with the hire and want someone new to be excited about?

I had two conversations last night with die hard Mississippi State fans.

Conversation 1: Why aren't we hiring Mullen already? He had us #1 and he's perfect for us. He's great at developing quarterbacks and lesser talent. We wouldn't miss a beat.

Conversation 2: I don't want Mullen. Been there done that. We need someone new to get the fanbase excited.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Conversation 1: Why aren't we hiring Mullen already? He had us #1 and he's perfect for us. He's great at developing quarterbacks and lesser talent. We wouldn't miss a beat.

Conversation 2: I don't want Mullen. Been there done that. We need someone new to get the fanbase excited.
Fans are dumb.

They can’t separate what they want for what we need.

Mullen wouldn’t be at the top of my list but he wouldn’t be at the bottom.

But here’s a secret for everyone. Selmon and the university know way more than the rest of us regardless of what anyone thinks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Fans are dumb.

But here’s a secret for everyone. Selmon and the university know way more than the rest of us regardless of what anyone thinks.
I agree with that.

But a problem about folks who know way more than the rest of us is that they can think too much about other possibilities and be indecisive.

Cdbo

Oct 4, 2023
99% of the ones that are against Dan are against him because their feelings got hurt when he left. If all the potential candidates' resumes were thrown in a pile with their names removed then Mullen would be the top candidate.
That is correct. Blind resume would be a no brainer and everyone knows it. Mullen just did what every successful coach in America does. He thought he saw a better opportunity to win a championship and he took it. Do you not think if we hire a coach and he is successful here that he wont be gone to greener pastures also? Good Lord

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Fans are dumb.

Pretty spot on here. For me personally, I’d rather try chadwell, if we can get him. But I’d rather Mullen than taking a shot on someone like Lashlee or the Troy coach.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If the MSU football program does things right, there is no doubt we could be a regular contender for a 12-team playoff. We play the right teams and we'd end up with "helpful losses."
Mullen, as coach, would do well in that environment.
Mullen, the recruiter, would likely not. And a good coach can develop all day, but they still need to bring in the talent.
He's not a grinder or strainer on the recruitment trail. And he has a history of petering out in November when it matters.
In my opinion, the guy burned all his bridges back to Starkville.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If the MSU football program does things right, there is no doubt we could be a regular contender for a 12-team playoff. We play the right teams and we'd end up with "helpful losses."
Mullen, as coach, would do well in that environment.
Mullen, the recruiter, would likely not. And a good coach can develop all day, but they still need to bring in the talent.
He's not a grinder or strainer on the recruitment trail. And he has a history of petering out in November when it matters.
In my opinion, the guy burned all his bridges back to Starkville.
He did bring in talent, more than we have seen at MSU before or since. That's just fact.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

I'll share my thoughts on this.

I was one of Mullen's biggest supporters when he was here. Absolutory loved hm. Hated when he left us and how he left us. But this has nothing to do with why I'd rather not try him again. Mullen succeeded here because he was always pushing himself for his next job. That kind of motivation is hard to find and it wouldn't be there for him the second time around. I could be wrong about this, but I would worry about Mullen's desire to overachieve the second time around.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
While Danny isn't in my top candidates, his leaving didn't hurt my feelings. The problem was that he checked out and was job searching by the end of the year, multiple times. If he had kept coaching while his agent did the job searching, I wouldn't be as apposed him coming back.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
For most it’s still hard feelings over why he left or some sense of “well he wasn’t actually that good”.

I have some nuanced feelings on it. Yes, he was that good. I think he’s the best coach in our history. But I also am skeptical about him being able to replicate that success. I think he was perfect for 2010’s college football but I don’t know that he’s a great coach anymore in this new era.

Had he stayed, my guess is we’d have been really good in 2018 and then started to decline in a way that would’ve eventually mirrored his ugly ending at Florida.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Is Mullen hungry to win and prove himself? Because he certainly was at the beginning of his tenure here. Without that hunger, I'm not sure we can expect him to approximate the success he had here previously. He seems pretty comfortable. So I'd rather us hire a coach that has something to prove. It really has nothing to do with how he left.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I just never liked Mullen as a coach. I don't care that he left our program, and I don't have any proof that his constant job shopping cost us any games. He just wasn't that great of a coach.

He absolutely got our program organized, along with Byrne and Stricklin ( let's not turn this into a Stricklin bashing thread). And while I enjoyed the 2014 season, all three losses that year infuriated me. Still it was nice feeling like 6-6 was the floor.

I'm okay with hiring him back if that's what is decided. I'm just tired of mediocrity and would rather seek out success. Nevertheless, mediocrity is better than sucking

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Is Mullen hungry to win and prove himself? Because he certainly was at the beginning of his tenure here. Without that hunger, I'm not sure we can expect him to approximate the success he had here previously. He seems pretty comfortable. So I'd rather us hire a coach that has something to prove. It really has nothing to do with how he left.

^^This^^

We need someone with a determined drive. A sales rep was just telling me how perfect Jimbo Fisher would be for us. I told him there's no way in hell. Yeah, "he can recruit" but we don't have A&M or even FSU money. I'd want Mullen over Fisher for sure, but neither would be hungry.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Pretty spot on here. For me personally, I’d rather try chadwell, if we can get him. But I’d rather Mullen than taking a shot on someone like Lashlee or the Troy coach.
Curious why not Lashlee compared to chadwell. Longer track record? Lashlees offense and defense both intrigue me plus sec experience

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Exactly, I'd take him back in a heartbeat if we got hungry Mullen. My concern is he has made a ton of money and living on a lake, with a cushy zero stress job. I don't care if he dumped trash on my lawn (bonus points if you can name that football movie) when he left if he comes back with something to prove and we get focused Dan.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
While Danny isn't in my top candidates, his leaving didn't hurt my feelings. The problem was that he checked out and was job searching by the end of the year, multiple times. If he had kept coaching while his agent did the job searching, I wouldn't be as apposed him coming back.

He and the staff thought they had the UT job as Mullen was set to go sign the paper work. He and his staff bragged about getting/moving in front of players at practice. That deal got nuked.

No thank you. He's not done something that another coach can do.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
He and the staff thought they had the UT job as Mullen was set to go sign the paper work. He and his staff bragged about getting/moving in front of players at practice. That deal got nuked.

No thank you. He's not done something that another coach can do.
I'm sure this actually happened lol. He probably kicked your dog on his way out of town too.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just never liked Mullen as a coach. I don't care that he left our program, and I don't have any proof that his constant job shopping cost us any games. He just wasn't that great of a coach.
This is just the most wrong take of the year on this message board. Mullen was unquestionably the best coach we've had since the 1950s, if not before. And he was very successful at Florida, despite what a lot of people think. The record speaks for itself.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Curious why not Lashlee compared to chadwell. Longer track record? Lashlees offense and defense both intrigue me plus sec experience
Yeah, 100% that. I’m completely willing to admit that I may be passing on a really good up and coming coach. I just kinda want some experience. Just someone I know can come in and not be overwhelmed with things not football related that a sec head coach has to deal with.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I want a coach who will take us to the SEC championship. I want a coach who can beat 'Bama. Mullen did neither. There isn't anything you pro Mullen folks can say or point to that indicates he's able to do those things if given another chance at State.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He was a lazy recruiter, even with UF's brand and NIL he still sucked. The days of being a developer, at this level are over (they're just going to take a bigger NIL deal and leave). With the portal/NIL, recruiting now is harder and more important than ever.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I want a coach who will take us to the SEC championship. I want a coach who can beat 'Bama. Mullen did neither. There isn't anything you pro Mullen folks can say or point to that indicates he's able to do those things if given another chance at State.
Short of hiring Jesus, no one else is going to do those things at Mississippi State either.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
What coach can we realistically hire who has beaten Saban and gone to the SEC championship game? Mullen's been to the SEC Championship game. Apart from Malzahn, no one else in the pool of candidates has.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Short of hiring Jesus, no one else is going to do those things at Mississippi State either.
I agree some fans think this:

Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
To me, it's the things like South Alabama and UMass games. We often played down to the level of our cupcakes and outside of one special year rarely got the big win. Add on his aversion to recruiting, and that every encore by a coach in my memory, aside from maybe Bill Snyder at K State, has been underwhelming at best.

Reactions: ntzdog

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
To me, it's the things like South Alabama and UMass games. We often played down to the level of our cupcakes and outside of one special year rarely got the big win. Add on his aversion to recruiting, and that every encore by a coach in my memory, aside from maybe Bill Snyder at K State, has been underwhelming at best.
Apart from South Alabama we won every game we should have. Yeah, we fell short in some big games but we were almost always competitive.

Look at how many players he sent to the NFL - I'd say he did OK recruiting. Maybe the problem with recruiting isn't Mullen, maybe it's Starkville/MSU. Croom, Moorhead, Leach, and Arnett didn't exactly light up the recruiting trail. Hoping our next coach will pull in tons of 5*'s is just a pipe dream.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I would be fine with Mullen if i knew that in Nov and Dec 2024 i wouldn't be staring at Hot Boards from Maryland and Baylor with him listed. It didn't happen at Florida.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Oh so you want Croom back. He beat Bama.

Reactions: BulldawgFan

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
I would be fine with Mullen if i knew that in Nov and Dec 2024 i wouldn't be staring at Hot Boards from Maryland and Baylor with him listed. It didn't happen at Florida.
I think this will be an issue with whoever we hire assuming they have a few successful years. The upside to Mullen is he would probably be more hesitant to job shop this time around.

Reactions: Dawg1976

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He was a lazy recruiter, even with UF's brand and NIL he still sucked. The days of being a developer, at this level are over (they're just going to take a bigger NIL deal and leave). With the portal/NIL, recruiting now is harder and more important than ever.
You defeated your own argument. High level recruits and portal people cost big time. Getting more out of lower level players is going to be THE thing unless you are one of about 10-15 programs. We aren't one of those and Mullen excelled at that.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Brandon Holloway up the middle and his habitual job shopping

my only two reasons

but I’m not cutting the checks so I’ll sit on the sidelines and observe

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I’m against Dan because he isn’t going to re-recruit players he didn’t want to recruit to begin with.

Reactions: Juice/

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
My biggest problem with mullen has nothing to do with hurt feelings but more to do with knowing that we have no shot at beating teams we're not favored against due to him playing too conservative.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think this will be an issue with whoever we hire assuming they have a few successful years. The upside to Mullen is he would probably be more hesitant to job shop this time around.
Maybe, but I think a lot of that came from Mullen’s camp last time around.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login