Does 14 SEC wins get us in a regional?

Oct 31, 2014
I say yes, but it has nothing to do with being the defending champs and everything with the NCAA knowing that MSU will travel.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
At 14 I think I’d feel more comfortable with at least one win in Hoover.

15 I think does it.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
14 SEC wins probably puts us in the middle of last four in/first four out. Normally 14-16 in the SEC is getting in but our RPI is a mess this year due to a combination of bad scheduling & bad breaks (primarily Long Beach being so bad). 14 & a win in Hoover should definitely get us in.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It will come down to Hoover, but I just don't know if it will happen. Say we get two this weekend and are 10-11.
We'd have to go 4-5 vs

Florida - I'm saying 1 vs them. They have struggled, but managed to take two from Ark, so they are completely capable of taking two from us. They have had a tough SEC schedule - Bama, LSU, UGA, Ark, Vandy, UT, UK. UK sucks, but the others are good to really good teams.

@ aTm - 1 as well. They took 2-3 from LSU, UGA, and Ark, beat Texas, and won game one last night against Vandy.

Tennessee - 1 max. We all know what they got.

It's a really tough stretch. Sweeping this weekend would be yuge for our chances, but we haven't shown that we can be consistently good for all three games this year. Florida is the best of the remaining three series to win. While their schedule has been tough, they still haven't gotten it done and it's at home. We could close out anywhere from 4-8 to 7-5 and it wouldn't surprise me either way. I still enjoy watching this team because when we play good we are pretty good, so it should be an interesting last month.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
For all the glory Tennessee gets, Texas A&M actually leads the SEC in batting average and OBP in SEC-only play. They are really good offensively.

14 wont get us in without 2-3 in Hoover. And I cant even see us getting to 14 anyway.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
We really need to make some hay against Mizzou and Florida, because the best case scenario against A&M and Tennessee may be 2-4.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And I think Florida is probably an RPI negative unless we sweep.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
For all the glory Tennessee gets, Texas A&M actually leads the SEC in batting average and OBP in SEC-only play. They are really good offensively.

A&M is #2 in the country behind Miami with most Top 25 wins

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
And I think Florida is probably an RPI negative unless we sweep.

Either I am completely oblivious to how the RPI works or you are one. I guess a 3rd option is possible, we both have no clue. For certain, we both don't understand it.

Florida is ranked 13th in RPI right now. Just winning one game would help us should it not? Winning two should jump us several slots. Yes, it is at home but they are 13th in RPI. This system stinks if State wins 2 of 3 and their RPI gets worse.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because Floridas ranking is not a factor in the calculation. The most important thing is their record. If we played them today, their win percentage is lower than OMs was after our weekend with them (our games are not factored into OMs win percentage in our RPI). And the OM series was in the road. We took 2 of 3 and didn’t move. At home, 2 of 3 is basically going .500.

Obviously there is another huge factor that weekend- what all our prior opponents do. But they don’t seem to be helping us much.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Because Floridas ranking is not a factor in the calculation. The most important thing is their record. If we played them today, their win percentage is lower than OMs was after our weekend with them (our games are not factored into OMs win percentage in our RPI). And the OM series was in the road. We took 2 of 3 and didn’t move. At home, 2 of 3 is basically going .500.

Obviously there is another huge factor that weekend- what all our prior opponents do. But they don’t seem to be helping us much.

Their record is most important, but their SOS is very important, too. 25% of our RPI is opponents’ opponents’ record, which in this case is represented by Florida’s overall SOS. Their SOS is #2 in the country, compared to OM who only has the #27 SOS currently. So, there’s a good chance they help us. And by that, I mean aren’t an RPI negative if we take 2 of 3. It won’t be some meteoric rise, but at least a small bump potentially.

Florida also has a great opportunity for a sweep this weekend, which would help the record side of it, too. They are playing UK who isn’t on our schedule, so we should all be big Gator fans this weekend.

Last edited:

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
We will get 15 SEC wins...

get a win or 2 in the tournament and win a regional.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Nope, gonna take 15 after today. I just don't see us getting even at this point. Too inconsistent. Dr. Jeckal, Mr. Hyde inconsistent. When does football start?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login