Does Anybody Know the Origins of Fans Calling the Ump "Blue"?

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I remember rmy Dad couldn't stop laughing his azz off while he and I were at The Dude back in the day when he first heard it. My Dad was born in '41 and always reminded me that me and my generation could never teach him anything because he'd seen it all. That night though he surrendered in laughter continually saying "Aw, Come on BLUE!!". He was like "Who came up with that schit?"
Sorry for the nerdy thread but what the hell.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I remember rmy Dad couldn't stop laughing his azz off while he and I were at The Dude back in the day when he first heard it. My Dad was born in '41 and always reminded me that me and my generation could never teach him anything because he'd seen it all. That night though he surrendered in laughter continually saying "Aw, Come on BLUE!!". He was like "Who came up with that schit?"
They wear blue shirts

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Duh. Everybody knows what color their shirts are. But calling them "Blue"? I guess that's been going on for a 100 years or so?

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Duh. Everybody knows what color their shirts are. But calling them "Blue"? I guess that's been going on for a 100 years or so?
GIF by KFC Malaysia

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
What about football - any ideas as to why they call them "Zebras"?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My buddy and I always get after “blue” at every other non-football sport. It’s great when kids follow along.
Yes it is. When my 10 year old yelled out “come on, Blue!”, it was a proud moment. Didn’t matter that the call was correct

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and eckie1

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Yes it is. When my 10 year old yelled out “come on, Blue!”, it was a proud moment. Didn’t matter that the call was correct
Glad you said that. I had to edit my post to say “non-baseball”.

We get after “blue” in football, basketball, soccer…. You name it. We look like fools, but we laugh. Every now and then, we get others to join along.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Glad you said that. I had to edit my post to say “non-baseball”.

We get after “blue” in football, basketball, soccer…. You name it. We look like fools, but we laugh. Every now and then, we get others to join along.
Yup. “Blue” is acceptable in many situations. Annoys the wife when we say it during basketball. I just hope I’m not there when my boy replies to Mom’s standard question “why do you call him blue, he’s not wearing blue”, with “because he blows”.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
This story begins in the late 19th century in Yorkshire, England. Keith Richards was a young adolescent, trying his hand at a strange new game from the Yanks across the pond- baseball.

In the bottom of the 4th inning, in a scoreless game, Richards, who was 0-1 and batting cleanup, was struck in the scrotum by a wicked slider that simply got away from an Irish laddie in his 3rd game. As the home crowd berated the red-headed youngster with predictably derogatory nastiness, Richard’s left ball began swelling to the point that blood flow to the area was restricted.

As the umpire curiously looked down over the future Rock’n Roll hall of famer while teammates gathered around, he asked why Richards was clutching is groin area. Keith screamed indignantly at the man, “Bloody hell-They’re turning blue!!” As many of his teammates repeated the cry, the crowd took the excitement as fury directed toward the umpire, who was ironically, like the frightened pitcher, a ginger Irishman. As the crowd started chanting “blue”, chaos ensued.

Richards soon after began a pain management regiment of opioids and other dubious substances which strangely continues to this day.

English authorities then decided since Irish police officers already were assigned copper badges to match their copper hair color, Mic Umpires were assigned blue uniforms in response to the jeering crowd that fateful day, not to mention Keith Richard’s purple ballsack.

The events of that day taught Richards that having “no children is just a shot away” inspired his writing the lyrics to the Rolling Stones major hit- Gimme Shelter

Last edited:

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Dr. Wilson: Where did you get those Keys?

Dr. House: Blew the janitor!

W: WHAT??!!

H: Blue, that's his name.

W: His name is Lou.

H: OH. Then I owe him an apology.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’ve always wondered why we chant “maroon….white” at games. Anybody have any ideas?

I always assumed it was a protest started by the student body in the 1930’s or 1950’s against governor Hugh L. White… like they wanted to maroon him on a deserted island. Can’t think of any other reason “Maroon… White” would make sense when we’re cheering for a Mississippi State team.

Oh well, guess we’ll never know for sure.

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
First time I heard guys saying this I noticed they were all Little League coaches whose sports claim to fame was being a Little League coach. I have a similar feeling seeing the words Arky and Natty.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I want to know who the crazy SOB that the first person to look at a raw oyster and say, "hum I bet that taste good. Let's try it."

Reactions: Anon1704414204

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
A starving dude who watched an otter.

Likely.

And then the next guy watched the first guy and so on.

Saw a story about how immigrants to the US often survived their first few weeks in NYC by harvesting oysters from the waters around the city. They were plentiful and free.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I want to know who the crazy SOB that the first person to look at a raw oyster and say, "hum I bet that taste good. Let's try it."
Raw Oysters are an aqired taste just like ta ta.. women have to cross their legs while enjoying them to prevent 'em from going all the way thru. Had I asked if anybody knew WHEN approx fans using the term instead of it's ORIGINS this thread wouldn't have gotten so far outta hand.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login