Does anyone else think the MLB playoff format is ridiculous?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Baseball isn’t like other sports. A long lay-off can hurt a team. These teams play a 162 game schedule for what purpose? To go into a NFL type playoff where the team that won 85 games has an advantage in a short series over the team that won 100 games because the 100 game winning team got rusty after a week off. At the very least, the Division Series needs to be seven games. I wish they would just go back to one wild card team but that cat is out of the bag.

Reactions: Dawgg

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Baseball isn’t like other sports. A long lay-off can hurt a team. These teams play a 162 game schedule for what purpose? To go into a NFL type playoff where the team that won 85 games has an advantage in a short series over the team that won 100 games because the 100 game winning team got rusty after a week off. At the very least, the Division Series needs to be seven games. I wish they would just go back to one wild card team but that cat is out of the bag.
Yes.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I think the next move will be making the Division Series 7 games so that teams aren't immediately eliminated after going down 0-2 with a slow start. Not saying that fixes things completely, but it is MLB's next move IMO.

That said, as a Braves fan I can't blame the new format as much as I can the team and Snit. The layoff isn't the reason Harper crushed that HR. Letting Elder stay in and not having anyone warm when he started to get squared up was. Game 1, sure blame the layoff for the poor hitting but they've played 3 games and with the exception of two innings have looked like the bad news bears stepping up to the plate.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You're not alone in this, there are articles everywhere about it. Logic says, yes, it's a flawed system.

I've always thought the NBA playoffs were weird too, you don't play series all year, but do in the playoffs. But I guess there's no other options there. Can't do like college.

NFL has the best model. I liked it better with 16-game season and 12 teams making the playoff, but oh well.

Poor Ol' State

Sep 26, 2023
I’m a Braves fan, so it’s sucked for us…but I don’t absolutely hate it. The divisional round is probably the biggest wildcard in professional sports regardless. 2 off nights, and your season is probably over.

only adjustment I’d like to see be made, is maybe re-seed after the wildcard round similar to the NFL.

Reactions: columbiadawg2

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Braves fans, in general, are so baby soft.

"The layoff was too long!"

Oh really? Explain how the Astros didn't lose a single game until the World Series last year with the exact same layoff.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Hard to believe that the 3 teams that won 100+ games are a combined 1-8 with 2 of those teams already eliminated.
That’s my point. The way the system is now, it hurts the teams that have been by far the best teams in the regular season. I would say this even if the Braves were winning their series. There were three teams that were far and away the best in the league this year (four if you count the Rays), and they’re all either already eliminated or on the verge because the MLB playoff format sucks. It really devalues the regular season, which I hate.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't really get the argument it's a disadvantage for teams to have a layoff, since they can set up their rotation and whoever they play is likely to be throwing their #4/5 starters in the first two games. Not to mention the opportunity to heal up any injuries.

I don't think we're going back to less teams in the playoffs, so the only real solution is to add teams to the first round - which tom me is an even bigger risk of the top seeds running into a couple hot starting pitchers, or having their 1-2 starters have an off night and be eliminated

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
That’s my point. The way the system is now, it hurts the teams that have been by far the best teams in the regular season. I would say this even if the Braves were winning their series. There were three teams that were far and away the best in the league this year (four if you count the Rays), and they’re all either already eliminated or on the verge because the MLB playoff format sucks. It really devalues the regular season, which I hate.
Or maybe the Rays got clipped because of all the injuries to their pitching and because their best player got suspended because he liked hooking up with minors.

And maybe the Orioles lost because their pitching was mediocre all year and they refused to part with any prospects to upgrade it at the trade deadline.

And maybe the Dodgers are just doing what the Dodgers do nearly every October, led by the King of choking, Clayton Kershaw. Losing Urias was also a dagger for them.

But sure, blame it on the schedule.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The regular season needs to be shortened if the playoffs are going to stay as bloated as they are. A 162 game regular season made sense when it was just two division winners facing off in a championship series. Or even one wild card team was sufficient. The whole season was like a big playoff. But there is no point to playing 162 games if a team that was 16 games worse in the regular season can just knock off the better team in three games. What was the point of 162 games? Make the season shorter and expand the playoffs even more if you want. Let everybody in.

• Angry
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
So let's just have some designated group of 12 people go into a room and decide which team is best. 😉

When games are actually played :poop: happens!

As I have said here many times, there are many times in the history of sport where the "best" team does not win the championship when any sort of shortened playoff is the determinating process. Maybe that is something soccer (football) does get right. The team with the best season record gets declared the champion. If you don't like that and want playoffs, then 😫 .

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The regular season needs to be shortened if the playoffs are going to stay as bloated as they are. A 162 game regular season made sense when it was just two division winners facing off in a championship series. Or even one wild card team was sufficient. The whole season was like a big playoff. But there is no point to playing 162 games if a team that was 16 games worse in the regular season can just knock off the better team in three games. What was the point of 162 games? Make the season shorter and expand the playoffs even more if you want. Let everybody in.
Money. That's where baseball makes it, in those 162.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Braves fans, in general, are so baby soft.

"The layoff was too long!"

Oh really? Explain how the Astros didn't lose a single game until the World Series last year with the exact same layoff.
Let me counter: the 2021 Braves playoff team was the worst playoff team they've ever had. By a good bit. And they won the WS. I laughed all the way through because I knew the flawed system was helping them that year.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I don't really get the argument it's a disadvantage for teams to have a layoff, since they can set up their rotation and whoever they play is likely to be throwing their #4/5 starters in the first two games. Not to mention the opportunity to heal up any injuries.
That's the argument, but MLB put in so many off days, so that they can maximize viewership, that the starting rotation is barely affected. Those off days and 5 game series have always given an advantage to teams with 2 top starters over teams with an overall better staff, unlike the regular season. When the playin game started it was great, teams had to use their #1, who then had limited availability in the DLS that started immediately after. Now, after a 3 game WC series with off says, the #1 is lined up again. Note for the Braves haters that this cuts against the grain, the Braves this year absolutely have 2 good starters and not much after that. I still think the playoffs should be setup to simulate the season.
I don't think we're going back to less teams in the playoffs, so the only real solution is to add teams to the first round - which tom me is an even bigger risk of the top seeds running into a couple hot starting pitchers, or having their 1-2 starters have an
MLB needs a way to increase the advantage for the top seeds. Maybe 4 games out of 5 at home? Top seed gets to pick their opponent/re seed?

Reactions: dorndawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's up to the teams not to get rusty. Live scrimmage would keep you sharp, no rules against it.

The reality is Philadelphia and Texas are loaded and can run anyone out of the stadium when the bats get going, which they have. The Dodgers seem to lay turds in the post season every year. The cheating pieces of chit from Houston seem to be enjoying the extra rest.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So let's just have some designated group of 12 people go into a room and decide which team is best. 😉

When games are actually played :poop: happens!

As I have said here many times, there are many times in the history of sport where the "best" team does not win the championship when any sort of shortened playoff is the determinating process. Maybe that is something soccer (football) does get right. The team with the best season record gets declared the champion. If you don't like that and want playoffs, then 😫 .
Or, bury your head in the sand that the system is flawed. All we are asking is to make reasonable effort to have the playoffs reflect competition among the full teams. Structuring the playoffs in a way that minimizes the back end of the pitching staff is just like changing the batting order to just the top 5. So here's a suggestion: every team has to use 4 starters in sequence, with some rules around allowing openers but preventing gaming around the rule. Then MLB can have the off days and prime time scheduling for all teams that they want, and we can have a playoff structure that reflects the entire team.

And note that if this was in place this year it would hurt my team. I favor it anyway, because I favor the best playoff structure we can have.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It's up to the teams not to get rusty. Live scrimmage would keep you sharp, no rules against it.

The reality is Philadelphia and Texas are loaded and can run anyone out of the stadium when the bats get going, which they have. The Dodgers seem to lay turds in the post season every year. The cheating pieces of chit from Houston seem to be enjoying the extra rest.
True, but let's look at the off days.

Last day of the season was Oct 1. No games Oct 2. Wild card games the 3rd and 4th. No games in the 5th or 6th. NLDS started the 7th, then had an off day the 8th. That's 4 off days for the WC by the time they played their fourth game (granted, they earned one by sweeping the WCS). That should be 2 days, with one of them earned (need the day after season free to resolve ties). If the NLDS started on the 6th like it should, that's less rust for the top seed plus only 2 days rest for the WC game 1 starter. That's a better format.

ETA: I'll go one better: throw in a double header for the WCS.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So is that actually better? Of course I'd love to be a sports purist and say it's all about the 'competition' and being 'the best', but you still have to have fun and generate interest and fandom. Playoffs do that.

I've never really watch EPL, curious how it compares to NFL playoffs? Is there excitement there?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
So is that actually better? Of course I'd love to be a sports purist and say it's all about the 'competition' and being 'the best', but you still have to have fun and generate interest and fandom. Playoffs do that.

I've never really watch EPL, curious how it compares to NFL playoffs? Is there excitement there?
There is just as much excitement as any sport you can imagine and probably more. It is absolutely wild over there and in the other top leagues in Europe. College football is the only thing that approaches the passion of European soccer.

I will say there is no question the EPL's method of determining a champion is the best way for the best team to win. Play every team twice, best record is the champion. Every game counts. The best team always lifts the trophy.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Let me counter: the 2021 Braves playoff team was the worst playoff team they've ever had. By a good bit. And they won the WS. I laughed all the way through because I knew the flawed system was helping them that year.
What was flawed in 21 that played to their advantage? That was a 10 team playoff. The Braves matched up with the Brewers in the NLDS. Neither had played in the Wild Card.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Every Braves fan agrees with you today. Never mind they got a week off and was able to line up their pitching and play the lowest seeded team.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Or, bury your head in the sand that the system is flawed. All we are asking is to make reasonable effort to have the playoffs reflect competition among the full teams. Structuring the playoffs in a way that minimizes the back end of the pitching staff is just like changing the batting order to just the top 5. So here's a suggestion: every team has to use 4 starters in sequence, with some rules around allowing openers but preventing gaming around the rule. Then MLB can have the off days and prime time scheduling for all teams that they want, and we can have a playoff structure that reflects the entire team.

And note that if this was in place this year it would hurt my team. I favor it anyway, because I favor the best playoff structure we can have.
Bull. Your just upset your team is not doing well. If things don't go the way you think it should go, then its because of a flawed system. There have always been things like horses for courses, injuries, teams getting hot at the right time (Like we did to win a NC in baseball) (I'm sure Vandy thought it was a flawed system that year). The system is set before the season and the "best" team does NOT have to win the championship. Matter of fact professional sports in the US intentionally tries to promote parity so each fanbase feels they have a chance and they actually do. That allows for the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates or 1969 New York Mets and Jets or the 2011-12 NY Giants or any other underdog that won a championship.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

I am saying if you want the best team to win, a record over 162 games is a much more accurate way to measure that. However, I don't care if the best team wins. I just want it to be decided on the field of play so playoffs are fine. I just am sick of folks complaining how it is unfair. It's like when you teach your kids to do rock, paper, scissors or odds evens and you win the first time they go best 2 of 3, then you win again they go best 3 of 5, you win again they go best 4 of 7 etc. It's always unfair until they win.

Reactions: kired

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
It bugs me to no end how each round of the playoffs is formatted differently. The WCS is best of 3, then the LDS is best of 5, then the LCS and WS are best of 7. Make them all the same!

And there absolutely should be re-seeding in effect after the WCS. There is no good logical argument not to do that.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Explain how the Astros didn't lose a single game until the World Series last year with the exact same layoff.
I mean… you’re talking about the team that got caught red-handed in the biggest sports cheating scandal I’ve ever been alive to see. They’re “resourceful”.

But, this format sucks. The one-game playin was worse, though.

Reactions: Dawgg

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021

Since 1995, the team with the best record has won the World Series just seven times. Let's not act like the format (since there have now been quite a few) is the reason behind this mixup now. It's simply baseball randomness.

The fourth and fifth starter have almost always been moved to the pen anyways in the post season and the aces pitch on short rest, if needed. I get that your point is that we are taking the "short rest gamble" out of the equation between series, it just doesn't bother me. I prefer to have "good on good" rather than forcing a team to use four different starters like this suggestion would create. Those back end guys are critical to getting you to the playoffs, but I don's want a WS decided on them. That's just me. I don't really care about watching #4 or #5 guys squaring off.... give me the best pitchers against the hottest lineups and see where the chips fall.

Playoffs have never been perfectly the same as regular season (timing, rest, now ghost runner rule, etc...) Regular season should identify the best teams (which it does); playoffs should be about seeing how teams compare best on best.

Reactions: kired

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
The one quick and easy move would be to reseed. Atlanta deserved to be playing Arizona, not Philly.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Bull. Your just upset your team is not doing well. If things don't go the way you think it should go, then its because of a flawed system. There have always been things like horses for courses, injuries, teams getting hot at the right time (Like we did to win a NC in baseball) (I'm sure Vandy thought it was a flawed system that year). The system is set before the season and the "best" team does NOT have to win the championship. Matter of fact professional sports in the US intentionally tries to promote parity so each fanbase feels they have a chance and they actually do. That allows for the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates or 1969 New York Mets and Jets or the 2011-12 NY Giants or any other underdog that won a championship.
No, I've felt this way for years and years, as I've looked at the stats and seen an obvious problem. If you'd asked me before the playoffs I'd have said the same thing, and in fact did. Literally, when someone asked me before the 2021 playoffs about the Braves chances, I said this is the worst playoff team they've ever had but MLB playoffs are stupid so they probably win this year. There's no advantage for higher seeds. None. The stats show it. That's a problem.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Since 1995, the team with the best record has won the World Series just seven times. Let's not act like the format (since there have now been quite a few) is the reason behind this mixup now. It's simply baseball randomness.

The fourth and fifth starter have almost always been moved to the pen anyways in the post season and the aces pitch on short rest, if needed. I get that your point is that we are taking the "short rest gamble" out of the equation between series, it just doesn't bother me. I prefer to have "good on good" rather than forcing a team to use four different starters like this suggestion would create. Those back end guys are critical to getting you to the playoffs, but I don's want a WS decided on them. That's just me. I don't really care about watching #4 or #5 guys squaring off.... give me the best pitchers against the hottest lineups and see where the chips fall.

Playoffs have never been perfectly the same as regular season (timing, rest, now ghost runner rule, etc...) Regular season should identify the best teams (which it does); playoffs should be about seeing how teams compare best on best.
I mostly agree, it's probably better to avoid meddling to drive teams towards 4th and 5th starter usage....but there's no excuse for unnecessary off days that screw with the integrity of the playoffs just to increase viewership.

The schooling effect is also a huge problem. So many wild cards guarantees that the hottest team comes through to face the top seeds. It favors having two aces and screw the rest of the team so much that it unbalances the entire game. Best on best is great, but you can't let one or two ace pitchers become the sole focus of the playoffs.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
There's no advantage for higher seeds. None. The stats show it. That's a problem.
Since the wild card expanded to the play in game/series in 2012, a whopping 4 wild card teams have made the World Series. That means 85% of World Series teams won their division since the wild card expanded.

That number will change this year, but that's because Philly was built for the playoffs and the Rangers fought injuries all year and choked in Seattle to prevent them from being the #2 seed on the last day of the regular season.

The Braves played like åss. They scored 3 runs in games 3 and 4 combined. The rust was gone, they just got beat.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login