Does anyone remember the Herschel Walker trade when it happened

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was just starting to watch the NFL at the time, so I didn’t know much about him nor was I keeping up with trades. However, I was just reading a BR article about all time terrible NFL deals, and holy cow…

For a 27 year old RB, the Vikings give up

2 LBs
1 DE
1 CB
3 first rd picks
3 second rd picks
1 third rd pick
1 sixth rd pick

Was the general perception that this was nuts at the time or were things just different?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I was just starting to watch the NFL at the time, so I didn’t know much about him nor was I keeping up with trades. However, I was just reading a BR article about all time terrible NFL deals, and holy cow…

2 LBs
1 DE
1 CB
3 first rd picks
3 second rd picks
1 third rd pick
1 sixth rd pick

Was the general perception that this was nuts at the time or were things just different?
I remember the trade, but I don't remember any of those details. I don't remember too many details of any trade deals being covered like they are now. I just remember that you would find out so and so was traded. Maybe they did cover it like they do now, and I just wasn't paying attention.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I was born a UGA Bulldog but was too young to remember Hershel when he was at UGA. I was definitely a football fan by the time the trade happened.

Was about as bad as the Ricky Williams trade IMO. Probably slightly worse. He was still a badass but I'm not sure what the Vikings thought was going to happen, they were still garbage and got worse giving up so much for 1 player.

and yes everyone at the time thought they were nuts.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
It was certainly written up as a blockbuster trade, and yes, the Vikings were portrayed as a little nuts. That being said, it was a different era, where having that bellcow back like Walter Payton plus a solid D was still thought to be the best way to win, backs were not interchangeable, and Minnesota thought they were ready to make a Super Bowl run. Herschel was thought to be close to that Payton level, and you get a sense of that with how he's depicted in Tecmo Bowl.

Also, a chunk of the picks they received were originally conditional on getting rid of the active players in the trade, and there were later negotiations around that.

Reactions: HRMSU

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012

2 LBs
1 DE
1 CB
3 first rd picks
3 second rd picks
1 third rd pick
1 sixth rd pick

Yes, it was seen as a pretty wild trade at the time. But, I think you also have to place the trade a little into the context of the era.
RB's were still the primary workhorse for offenses and seen as the key to championships. Walker was coming off two Pro-Bowl seasons, after having spent 3 seasons destroying the USFL, and Minnesota was going all in to win the NFC Central (which they did with a 10-6 record). He was also the best pass receiving RB, and was a world class sprinter who could return kicks (he averaged almost 29 yards a KR in '89). From the Vikings perspective he was the final piece to the puzzle. It didn't work out that way.

I know that Walker never really lived up to the huge expectations (mainly because of the 3 USFL seasons) - but for my money, in football, at their peak I'd take Walker over virtually any back you could name - even Bo.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I have always thought that the worst two trades that I have ever seen were.... Hershel Walker to Minnesota and

When Ditka traded his whole draft to get one Player, RB Ricky Williams. New Orleans HC, Ditka gave his entire draft in 1999 to Washington to get him and it set back New Orleans for years just like the Hershel Walker trade set back Minnesota.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
There was a major difference in the two trades. Cowboys had Jimmy Johnson and Washington had Snyder messing it all up.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
The Deshaun Watson trade from the Texans to Browns could end up being one of the worst trades of all time. Houston picked Kenyan Green, Will Anderson Jr. and Tank Dell this past draft and have a 1st and 5th rounder in the upcoming draft from the Texans. Stroud, while not part of the trade, had a very good rookie year and looks like a potential franchise QB for the Texans in a division that has been pretty weak.

Cleveland can't even get out of the Watson deal until 2027. According to CBS, they would pay a $136.9 million cap penalty in 2024 or a $73 million cap penalty in 2025 by releasing him.

Reactions: Seinfeld

patdog

May 28, 2007
As a Vikings fan my entire life, I don’t appreciate you making me want to drink this early in the morning on a Tuesday.
Vikings fan here too. I remember it was a blockbuster trade, and a lot of people seemed to think it was good for both teams. Last remaining puzzle for the Vikings, and a chance for the Cowboys to rebuild from scratch. I remember thinking, we gave up WAY too much. Walker was actually a pretty good RB for the Vikings, but never matched the production of his USFL and Cowboys days. That trade was the end of the Vikings being consistent SB contenders and the beginning of the Cowboys early 90s dynasty.

Reactions: HWY51dog

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Agree with most takes here.

Also, this was pre- salary cap days so draft picks weren't as valuable to making the cap work. They were still valuable for acquiring talent but in those days if you were close you'd just go after free agent vets or trade draft picks for one.

Heck, it wasn't odd to see high drafted QBs sit for a year or two. Can't do that today gotta take advantage of that rookie contract.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

2 LBs
1 DE
1 CB
3 first rd picks
3 second rd picks
1 third rd pick
1 sixth rd pick

As a Cowboys fan, I remember it being perceived as a win for Dallas. It didn't take long for it to considered the foundation of what became the Dallas Cowboys 90's dynasty. Ironically, Dallas was able to get Walker back, but the run was over by then.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I remember it and I had no stake in either team (outside my uncle's love of Roger Staubach).

For a child, it seemed a little nuts, but Walker really was 'that dude' back then and the Vikings had just come off an NFC Championship loss and an 11-5 season and thought Walker was the missing piece. Minnesota really screwed themselves with attaching conditional 1st and 2nd round picks to the players they sent over and making the mistake that Dallas was so desperate not to have another losing season that they would immediately play them and keep them on the roster. Jimmy Johnson made sure all of them were cut by the due date and got their picks instead.

Also, if you look at it purely from a player to player point of view, Emmitt Smith was the first player Dallas took with a Minnesota pick, so they already equaled or surpassed Herschel Walker with that pick alone, so everybody else they got after that was just gravy.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Y'all mind if I ask how you became Vikings fans? Just don't recall seeing many of them associated with Mississippi.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have always thought that the worst two trades that I have ever seen were.... Hershel Walker to Minnesota and

When Ditka traded his whole draft to get one Player, RB Ricky Williams. New Orleans HC, Ditka gave his entire draft in 1999 to Washington to get him and it set back New Orleans for years just like the Hershel Walker trade set back Minnesota.
Had Ricky Williams had a good head on his shoulders, that trade may have worked out. I remember one scout saying about Ricky Williams, "there's not enough milk to cover that (frosted) flake.

It amazing how little work some of these teams put into scouting. I've heard Saban say that not many NFL teams would actually contact him to get a reference on a player they were considering drafting in the first round.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

2 LBs
1 DE
1 CB
3 first rd picks
3 second rd picks
1 third rd pick
1 sixth rd pick

Whats crazy is that even with that haul and the aftermath (4 players and 8 draft picks), the Cowboys still wound up with only 3 above average players….but they were Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, and Darren Woodson. A top 3-5 player all time at the same position as Walker, plus a Pro Bowl caliber DT and S. It was pretty much the worst case outcome for the Cowboys as far as “hit rate” on what they received….yet they still absolutely fleeced the Vikings.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Y'all mind if I ask how you became Vikings fans? Just don't recall seeing many of them associated with Mississippi.
Growing up that had Keith Mallard and Doleman on a nasty defense, so I loved how they played. The headquarters for the place my dad worked for was in Minneapolis, so he would always bring me back Vikings gear.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login