Does Fletcher Cox go into our ring of honor?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What say ye?
Fletcher was good as a freshman, better as a sohpomore, and dominant as a jr at state. Then he had an amazingly successful NFL career. And he was a good representative of the university the whole time and scandal free (unless you count the whole lawsuit for alienation for affection, but I don't know that it's his fault she was a 'ho.).

We do have some tough competition in football. Dak is obviously there. On defense, you've got Chris Jones that is very similar to Fletcher. KJ Wright is maybe right behind them? Smoot doesn't have the championships and wasn't quite as clean nosed as Jones and Cox but was a fun representative for MSU. Eric Moulds was very good in college and the NFL but I don't think had the championships and I don't remember if he really repped state or not. Gabe Wallace has had a good career for an OL. Darius Slay has been great but really was misused at MSU. Walt harris had a long career but wasn't dominant. That's just the relatively modern players and there is at least an argument that he's third out of those. But still, unless the ring of honor is more like a Mount Rushmore, I think it's a no brainer he should be in.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Fletcher was good as a freshman, better as a sohpomore, and dominant as a jr at state. Then he had an amazingly successful NFL career. And he was a good representative of the university the whole time and scandal free (unless you count the whole lawsuit for alienation for affection, but I don't know that it's his fault she was a 'ho.).

We do have some tough competition in football. Dak is obviously there. On defense, you've got Chris Jones that is very similar to Fletcher. KJ Wright is maybe right behind them? Smoot doesn't have the championships and wasn't quite as clean nosed as Jones and Cox but was a fun representative for MSU. Eric Moulds was very good in college and the NFL but I don't think had the championships and I don't remember if he really repped state or not. Gabe Wallace has had a good career for an OL. Darius Slay has been great but really was misused at MSU. Walt harris had a long career but wasn't dominant. That's just the relatively modern players and there is at least an argument that he's third out of those. But still, unless the ring of honor is more like a Mount Rushmore, I think it's a no brainer he should be in.
Don't forget about Jeffery Simmons.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

all of these are better than anyone currently on our ring of honor.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Who is better overall, Chris or Fletcher? Combined NLF and College. How do they rank? Obviously 1 and 2, but which is 1? Chris Jones?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If I had a vote, I would say yes. There are other candidates. It would be great if we could get some publicity behind this and invite them when we put there name on those rings.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Fletcher was 1st team all pro once. CJ has already done it twice. With that being said, Fletcher was the better player at MSU. And Simmons was better than both in college.
I mean there’s no reason that they all 3 can’t be in there, is there? Beyond them and Dak, no one else is anywhere close to as deserving as those 4 from the past 40 years of MSU football. Walt Harris would probably be the only other one that would be anywhere close…..going all the way back to Kent Hull, Johnnie Cooks, etc.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I mean there’s no reason that they all 3 can’t be in there, is there? Beyond them and Dak, no one else is anywhere close to as deserving as those 4 from the past 40 years of MSU football. Walt Harris would probably be the only other one that would be anywhere close…..going all the way back to Kent Hull, Johnnie Cooks, etc.
I'd probably add Eric Moulds to that. Had Dak had Eric Moulds we'd have a national championship banner.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
You know SixPackSpeack doesn't pay for engagement right?

I do applaud you for finding a question that makes it through 50 replies without one disagreement.

That might make you eligible for SPS hall of fame.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Glad to see some of yall aren’t mad anymore about him announcing Yazoo City instead of State as his school pre NFL kickoff. ****

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
He can be there only as long as the sky is blue, and we complain about white helmets.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Yes he should be in the RoH, but I’m not convinced he’d actually attend the ceremony in person.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

To summarize...

yes???

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Because we are Mississippi State I'll say we don't put him up there and he donates all his NFL money to Yazoo instead who changes the school name to Fletcher Cox High School

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I've asked around before but I don't know what the criteria is. As I sit and look at who is up there, I can't figure out the thread that ties them together. Speaking of looking at who is up there, seems there are a few here that either haven't been to DWS in awhile or don't pay much attention to such.
From 2018 -
Walt Harris and Art Davis will become the eighth and ninth MSU legends enshrined in the "Ring of Honor" respectively, joining Johnie Cooks, Jack Cristil, Joe Fortunato, Kent Hull, D.D. Lewis, Tom "Shorty" McWilliams and Jackie Parker. Fortunato was inducted last October.

I lean to looking through the lens of what players did at State versus anything they do/did in the pros but again, don't know what the criteria is. They have their own RoH's.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login