Does our basketball team have the Yips?

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
On the broadcast last night they spoke about talking to Jans about the issue with free throws. He told them they are doing great at practice. I believe that and I think Jans is the type of coach that has them working overtime on FTs to improve. This leads me to believe it is all mental at this point. We have the yips!!

This also makes me think about our issue with extra points this year in football. The guys have the skills, but sometimes the mental game outweighs raw talent. If we do not have a sports psychologist on staff we need one.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Somehow, I doubt it.
Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

The shots have to be considered easy in order for there to be yips...

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
On the broadcast last night they spoke about talking to Jans about the issue with free throws. He told them they are doing great at practice. I believe that and I think Jans is the type of coach that has them working overtime on FTs to improve. This leads me to believe it is all mental at this point. We have the yips!!

This also makes me think about our issue with extra points this year in football. The guys have the skills, but sometimes the mental game outweighs raw talent. If we do not have a sports psychologist on staff we need one.
Don't know if they have the yips but they give me the yikes watching them at the line.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Just an atrociously bad game of shooting from the line. A high major D1 player should be able to have a higher FT% blindfolded.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Thank the good Lord for Ole Miss. How in the world does a team shoot below 35% from the free throw line???? We had two opportunities before halftime to get the lead and tanked at the line. smh!

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Thank the good Lord for Ole Miss. How in the world does a team shoot below 35% from the free throw line???? We had two opportunities before halftime to get the lead and tanked at the line. smh!

2 for 16 at one point. I feel like that had to be in line for some kind of record.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Shooting them that bad is absolutely mental. It's getting to be a thing therefore it will continue to be a thing. If they could forget how bad they are shooting them they would shoot them better.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

Most of them aren’t shooting them all that much differently from what they’ve always done. They just were never very good to start with, so all of this 75% talk was a pipe dream. And now they all seem to be in a funk at the same time.

Tolu is a career 59% shooter. This year he’s at 53%. The problem is he’s now 12 for his last 36 including 3-11 last night and 3-15 against Bama. Take those two games out and he’s at 61%. Still not good but right in line with what should have reasonably been expected.
Davis is 65% career, 63 this year.

Jeffries 64% career, 52 this year. Here’s a shocker. DJ is schizo. 74% as a freshman, 56% as a sophomore, 73% as a junior, and 52% this year. Literally no outcome this year would have been a surprise.
Shak 68% career, 73 this year
Reed 76% career, 67 this year. He has to be better than this. I think he will.
Matthews 54% career, 72 this year (a very good start to to the season after he was 31% as a FR and 58% last year)

McNair 56% career, 65% this year
Stevenson 67% career, this year 73%
I’m not saying their shooting is good. It’s atrocious. Im saying it shouldn’t be a surprise considering what their history tells us.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
If you break down Tolu's spin/follow-through, he is not consistent. His rotation is side-ways too.
Truly unbelievable that D1 basketball players can't hit a FT. They need a sport's psycologist or an exorcist.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I can understand big men like Tolu not being good FT shooters, and would accept them being around 65% because they don’t actually shoot the ball very much outside of 2-4 feet, but there is no excuse for a guard not to be at minimum a 75% FT shooter, preferably 80+. Those guys’ jobs are to shoot the ball. Ridiculous that our guards are as bad shooting as they are.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The updated free throw stats were released today. We are down to 349th in the country at 59.87%. Only three teams worse than us, Missouri State, Minnesota and Brown.

• Wow
Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login