Does TCU make the cut for a 21 team SEC?

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
This is assuming all the current teams stay the same, and the Big 10 and SEC continue to expand. 21 seems to be a number I saw a lot for the amount of teams a super conference would be.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
This is assuming all the current teams stay the same, and the Big 10 and SEC continue to expand. 21 seems to be a number I saw a lot for the amount of teams a super conference would be.
I don’t think they do. I don’t know exactly who the other 5 would be, but I don’t think they are in it.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I for 1, hope so. Lots of money and good athletics. I wish we could have brought them in when Oklahoma and Texas come.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hypothetically... assuming we're only poaching Big 12 and ACC talent... I don't think there's a Big 12 school left that the SEC would take.

The SEC already has the two biggest fanbases in Texas, why would they take flyer on a metro commuter private school that occasionally has a good season?

If we HAD to go to 21, I predict that 21 would be:
North Carolina
Clemson
Florida State
Virginia
Then one of the following: Duke, Miami, NC State, or Virginia Tech.

Even if the SEC went Big 12, I think it would pick up WV (regional to Kentucky and Virginia) or maybe Kansas (regional to Missouri) before it picked up TCU.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Schools the SEC could theoretically pursue that definitely add value, based on being in new untapped markets:

Stanford
Cal
Washington
Arizona State
Washington
Oregon
Florida State
Clemson
UNC
NC State
UVA
Pitt
Syracuse

Schools that might add value (depending on not getting some of the above, or being a package deal with one of those schools):

Virginia Tech
Duke
Arizona
Miami
Boston College
Colorado
West Virginia

Long shots in states outside of SEC footprint that add marginal value:

Iowa State
Kansas -or- Kansas State
Utah
Oregon State

That’s 25 schools. The SEC would definitely not pursue all of them, or probably even most of them. But they would likely pursue all of them before TCU. And they’d definitely get 5 from the list eventually if they so chose. So no, TCU wouldn’t make the cut.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Hell yeah they do. You accept The Metro Plex any Time u can get it. They are better than SMU. and one will be given opportunity if we expand.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hell yeah they do. You accept The Metro Plex any Time u can get it. They are better than SMU. and one will be given opportunity if we expand.

In case you missed it, the SEC already has the Metroplex. They gain zero new market TV-wise from adding TCU outside of their miniscule fanbase. And they have to cut the pie into smaller pieces. SEC won’t add anyone that doesn’t make each piece of the revenue pie bigger, and TCU doesn’t fit the bill.

Reactions: Dawgg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Two Texas schools is already too much. It would destroy the SEC. I am not sure it doesn't happen with Texas alone being a member. The two Texas schools have the money to pay off whoever they need too.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
What is the rationale for an odd numbered conference? Twenty two makes more sense with a nine game conference season - 3 permanents + 6 rotating (over three years) + Mississippi State = 22 teams. Besides, both the Big10 and SEC are done expanding for the foreseeable future.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
There is no such thing as smaller pieces of the pie. Whoever we add will get the same piece of pie that any SEC team gets. That was the deal with Texas and OU and it will be the deal with whoever else is chosen

patdog

May 28, 2007

SEC already has the MetroPlex with Texas, A&M and Oklahoma. TCU might add another 50,000 fans, but even they generally watch one of the big 3 schools as much as they watch their own school.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is no such thing as smaller pieces of the pie. Whoever we add will get the same piece of pie that any SEC team gets. That was the deal with Texas and OU and it will be the deal with whoever else is chosen

Of course they will. But everybody’s “slice” gets smaller if the team you add doesn’t bring in enough revenue to offset having to add them to the group of teams sharing that revenue. The payout per team has to stay the same or go up with each new addition. That wouldn’t happen with TCU….there’s not nearly enough meat on the bone.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
SEC already has the MetroPlex with Texas, A&M and Oklahoma. TCU might add another 50,000 fans, but even they generally watch one of the big 3 schools as much as they watch their own school.
Another 50k? U r Crazy. They would Double what State or the plantation brings. You saying that shows me you know nothing about numbers both with fan base or media. Am I talking to Rosebowl the idiot here?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Another 50k? U r Crazy. They would Double what State or the plantation brings. You saying that shows me you know nothing about numbers both with fan base or media. Am I talking to Rosebowl the idiot here?
TCU averages about 44,000 attendance per game. In a stadium that holds 50,000. They are the #4 team in the Dallas metro, behind Texas, A&M and Oklahoma. The SEC already has that market. No reason for it to add TCU.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Why don't we bring in all other power 5 programs and just rename conference to "New and Improved NCAA"?!****

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
TCU averages about 44,000 attendance per game. In a stadium that holds 50,000. They are the #4 team in the Dallas metro, behind Texas, A&M and Oklahoma. The SEC already has that market. No reason for it to add TCU.
It’s not how big their stadium is…. It’s BIG dollar alumni that is there.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Sankey said we’re keeping it to teams in our footprint so no one out West.

If we go 21 (6 permanents and two rotators every 7 years), it would be:
Virginia
North Carolina
Clemson
Florida State
Miami

Those probably have the most eyeballs.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s not how big their stadium is…. It’s BIG dollar alumni that is there.
Wait, is it about the money or is it about the Dallas metro market. Cause at first it was about the market. And 44,000 attendance with a metro population of 6,400,000 just screams the market doesn't care about this team. For comparison, we draw slightly better with a metro (using the term loosely) population of about 80,000.

But if it's about the money, let's just go get Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Penn. They're all loaded and we'd lock down the huge East coast markets from Boston down to Philadelphia. **

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login