Does the SEC Championship game location favor East Teams?

Oak23

Nov 28, 2014
Imagine 4 years in the future and having to go play a Georgia Team who has won 4 SEC Championships in a row - in ATLANTA. Wouldn’t you like it better if you could play them in New Orleans? I really believe if GA begins to dominate, there should be some consideration in rotating the location of the championship game. I believe it should be strongly considered now but this view may hold some real credibility once TX and OK join. Look at the map, it’s going to be apparent this is an advantage for specifically Georgia. This “home field” may not be as advantageous as in the past but it will have some benefit. Perhaps 3 points?
example: If Ms State we’re in Georgia’s position it would be the equivalent of going to Meridian to play for the SEC championship. If it continues, there’ll be a time when Georgia will play 2 out 3 of their most meaningful games nearly every year at “home” especially when considering potential playoff games.
Hopefully this post “won’t age well!” And I can’t help that I grew up in the 80’s and remember Miami winning all their National Championships in the Orange Bowl!

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Trying to move it based on geography is pointless. It’s the best venue for it at the moment.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Only one west team plays in it and theyre as close as anyone other than georgia

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
All depends on how tickets are distributed. If 50/50 between the schools should not be an issue. If they allow locals to purchase then it favors Ga more than any other team

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
The solution is to rotate the location. Nola, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Houston. Too bad Jackson doesn't have a stadium.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Apparently not.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The solution is to rotate the location. Nola, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Houston. Too bad Jackson doesn't have a stadium.

I seriously doubt Nashville ever gets it. I don’t think they’re going to risk an open air stadium in Tennessee that part of the year.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Its not an advantage for East teams not named UGA. And its only a small advantage for them. You still have equal ticket distributions for the schools, with the rest of the tickets being corporate / general public that end up going on the secondary market for the vast majority of them. It’s not like the proximity of Tuscaloosa or Auburn to Atlanta is some major hurdle for those fans….both cities are less than 3 hours away. You move it to New Orleans, and its a pain in the *** to get to for any team not named LSU. And those are really the only two options besides Jerry world which really isn’t in the footprint even after the A&M and OU additions.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
The airport is as much or more of a factor than geography. There are cheap flights to ATL from everywhere every day.

Encourage Nashville to build a dome and move it there. More central, and they have a busy airport as well. You know Vanderbilt will never be in it, so it's effectively a neutral site.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
It hasn’t favored the east since the beginning. You don’t move it because Georgia starts winning

patdog

May 28, 2007
They should move it back to a neutral site, like Birmingham. **

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login