Donovan is an idiot

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Saw this quote from him in the CL this morning...

Quote:_________________________________________________"I thought we really contributed to what they do well," Donovan said. "I thought we exposed our own weaknesses. We needed to beat them through ball movement, screening and making them move around. But we played into their hands. We took quick, ill-advised shots, and when you're not rebounding, you're playing into their hands because they are the best in rebounding."_________________________________________________

Doesn't he know that we aren't very good at rebounding and that we need to work on our fundamentals?

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
say "In the SEC, Mississippi State wrote the book on rebounding." He must have not read that book, it contained no talk of fundamentals.

Feb 23, 2008
for beating the defending champs on their home floor. Said something to the effect that if we really wanted something to be proud of, he'd get their guys from last year back and we could play them to see what happens. The guy's just an ***. Hey Eddie, while we're at it, how about we get Damp, Super D, and Dontae to go against your boy... I mean, girl Noah and the rest of your pricks from last year?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
www.gainesville.com/artic...016/sports

Quote:_________________________________________________He said it
Donovan, when asked if it's still flattering to be referred to as the two-time defending national champions: "I'm sure (Mississippi State coach) Rick (Stansbury) used it as motivation. If they really want to beat the defending national champions, let's get (Al) Horford, (Joakim) Noah and (Corey) Brewer back in here, and then we'll play and see what happens. I don't buy all that stuff. We're not really defending anything. We're starting over."_________________________________________________

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Judging by what the previous poster said about this, I expected to see something completely different.

As it is, it seems like a perfectly rational observation to me. I mean, his current team is almost completely removed from the one that won 2 NCs.

I don't see that he was remotely trying to be an ***.

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
He was just trying to deflect the pressure of being national champions from his team as opposed to calling out State.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________Judging by what the previous poster said about this, I expected to see something completely different._________________________________________________

That's what I call taking a quote out of context.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't have a problem with that statement, taken in context. It's kind of like Pigott saying he's not going to put his CWS ring on until his MSU career is over, because it doesn't have a thing to do with this year.

Feb 23, 2008
would use it as motivation for his players. Now, he may very well had but that would also imply that Rick is not very bright considering everyone knows Florida isn't what they were last year. They've got 1 guy that played last year and he may have avg. 3 minutes a game. It can be taken either way but he seemed to be putting more stock in us beating a defending champ instead of the real motivation.....winning the west, competing for an overall conference title, guaranteeing a spot in the NCAA's. You see Eddie, it's not all about you.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
you're reading way too much into it. I think he was just saying that his team this year is a shadow of the back-to-back champs, which is a true statement. He wasn't taking a shot at Rick. Donovan is known for a lot of things, but being an *** is not one of them, as far as I can tell. He's always been very complimentary of our program.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
The part about let's get Horford, Noah, and etc. did sound a little sour grape-ish to me.

Kind of like the Yankees saying, Oh yeah, well let's get Ruth out here and see what happens.

That's irrelevant. They are the defending champs whether he likes it or not.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Exactly, they are the defending champs no matter who is on the team this year. If they won the NC this year they would call them three time national champions.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login