Don's exit letter

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The tone of this though..... Still holding on to that foolish pride...

I want to thank UF President Dr. Fuchs, Scott Stricklin, the Board of Trustees, and Gator Nation for the privilege of being Head Football Coach at the University of Florida.

I will always cherish the two National Championships we won during my time at UF, along with the past three New Year's Six Bowls to name a few. The program has a bright future ahead with the young talent on the team and the new football facility that will be finished next spring.

My family and I thank you for the honor of being your Head Football Coach.

Go Gators!

Dan Mullen

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Good lord.

It like “hey y’all I gotta go, but before I do take a look at my resume.”

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Bad time for Dan to fall flat on his face for Florida. So many open jobs and more to come. Dan will land on his feet in December.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
The tone of this though..... Still holding on to that foolish pride...

I want to thank UF President Dr. Fuchs, Scott Stricklin, the Board of Trustees, and Gator Nation for the privilege of being Head Football Coach at the University of Florida.

I will always cherish the two National Championships we won during my time at UF, along with the past three New Year's Six Bowls to name a few. The program has a bright future ahead with the young talent on the team and the new football facility that will be finished next spring.

My family and I thank you for the honor of being your Head Football Coach.

Go Gators!

Dan Mullen

And that kind of crap is exactly he’s fired today and not getting another year. He’s an ***, can’t stop his mouth from digging him deeper. No one likes the guy.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
You think he wrote that? Some PR person drafted that. I doubt he had access to his office or the server several hours before the news broke…

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
That $1M a year is if he's not another head coach though right?

It is offset by any salary he gets. If someone hires him as OC FOR $1 MM or more, UF pays him nothing. If he gets a job emptying the ******* forc$30 K, they can subtract that from the million.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Urban Meyer says, "I guess I missed those national championships that you won."

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It is offset by any salary he gets. If someone hires him as OC FOR $1 MM or more, UF pays him nothing. If he gets a job emptying the ******* forc$30 K, they can subtract that from the million.

He has the option to work for free though basically. If he negotiates a job where he’s an OC at a mid level school for instance, he can work for $1 per year and still get $999,999 per year from UF. That makes his appeal much stronger too….as it frees up cash for position coaches or more for the head coach or DC that wouldn’t otherwise be there.

That’s a big reason why a lot of these failed HC’s end up as analysts under Saban, too. Those positions don’t pay anything, and they don’t have to. It keeps the coaches in the game and engaged for a year or two so they can get back on their feet.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
You think he wrote that? Some PR person drafted that. I doubt he had access to his office or the server several hours before the news broke…

I wonder if Cannizaro's side piece wrote it.***

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
He has the option to work for free though basically. If he negotiates a job where he’s an OC at a mid level school for instance, he can work for $1 per year and still get $999,999 per year from UF. That makes his appeal much stronger too….as it frees up cash for position coaches or more for the head coach or DC that wouldn’t otherwise be there.

That’s a big reason why a lot of these failed HC’s end up as analysts under Saban, too. Those positions don’t pay anything, and they don’t have to. It keeps the coaches in the game and engaged for a year or two so they can get back on their feet.

There's almost always language about a duty to mitigate. In other words, a coach getting buyout money has to *try* to get a good job and earn a going wage. Bret Bielma tried to run that scam on Arkansas and is involved in a lawsuit. https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/jul/15/razorback-foundation-files-new-motion-dismiss-biel/

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Glad he acknowledged the program that fired him so. Did he ever acknowledge the program that gave him a shot for 9 years?

patdog

May 28, 2007
He didn't write it, but he had input into it and approved it. That line about the national championships he won while he was there was classic Mullen. That didn't come from anyone in PR.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
interesting that going to UF from MSU was all about "a business decision" and by a "business decision" his coaching career there was just terminated

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login