Don't sleep on the Bunt Derby

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
You guys scoff at bunting but very few in MLB can bunt worth a crap. Analytics have ruined the game. All you hear about is launch angle and exit velocity. No one is even asked to bunt. With the way extra innings are set up now (ghost runner at 2nd and nobody out), I would bunt almost every time if the game is tied or down 1. Situational hitting is almost non-existent. Guy sitting on 2nd with no outs and a LH batter can't even roll a grounder to 2nd to get the runner over. Strikeouts have doubled over the last 30 years. I hate the way the game is played now.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
That’s a cross between baseball and curling (aka the over 40 competitive beer drinkers league).

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
You guys scoff at bunting but very few in MLB can bunt worth a crap. Analytics have ruined the game. All you hear about is launch angle and exit velocity. No one is even asked to bunt. With the way extra innings are set up now (ghost runner at 2nd and nobody out), I would bunt almost every time if the game is tied or down 1. Situational hitting is almost non-existent. Guy sitting on 2nd with no outs and a LH batter can't even roll a grounder to 2nd to get the runner over. Strikeouts have doubled over the last 30 years. I hate the way the game is played now.

I wish I could give this more thumbs up!

I love all aspects of the game: bunting, hit & run, stealing (bases & signs...sans technology), sac flies, Fielder's choices that serve as bunts, HBP, bat flips, dust ups at second, Dingers, walk off doubles, double plays, high IQ defense, Chin Music, etc.

Analytics have just eliminated half, if not more, of what made Baseball the greatest sport & set it apart from all the others. Well, I'll clarify, stoic belief in analytics as the end all be all have done so. I keep waiting for the cycle to come back around, but now players practice & train to the analytics tune.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
I agree with everything you said. But will add, pitching analytics have contributed as well. Spin rate and velo have had major impacts on K rates. Average fastball velocity from a starting pitcher 30 years ago was 90.1 mph. Today it’s 95.3 mph.

I do not think hitters are better now than 30 years ago. But I’d argue the pitching is significantly more refined. (On the whole of course. Clemens would still be a CY candidate today)

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login