Double Trouble - Gillaspie & Castoria

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Which begs the question, why is Gillaspie in the ring of honor and Castoria isn't? Bruce should be a shoe in. . . . . .

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There is a story behind that picture and my facial expression. That was a big HR for Gman and it was the most excited I ever saw him. So I am standing there with my hand in the air and he does a full windup and jumps into the High Five and absolutely slaps the :poop: out of my hand. That face is the registration of pain streaming through my body. I had to call timeout and go back for pine tar to get the feeling back in my hand.

It still hurts.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Which begs the question, why is Gillaspie in the ring of honor and Castoria isn't? Bruce should be a shoe in. . . . . .
I am glad they spread it around because Gman definitely deserves it. My suggestion is they should automatically put you in the Ring of Honor if you are inducted into the Hall of Fame. Do it at the same ceremony so others can have their day in the sun.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
How many of you can see this pic & look for whether or not you are in the crowd?
I definitely remember Bruce. Wasn't this pre Clark and Palmiero? I'm sure I may have saw some games before then. Wasn't Tracy Echols playing when we beat Washington to go to the CWS? I remember seeing Echols scale the left field foul pole.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I definitely remember Bruce. Wasn't this pre Clark and Palmiero? I'm sure I may have saw some games before then. Wasn't Tracy Echols playing when we beat Washington to go to the CWS? I remember seeing Echols scale the left field foul pole.
Before Thunder & Lightning, but I think Brantley was there. Can't remember much, but I do remember Bruce because of his HR's.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I have vague memories of Showalter's high average season in the late 70's, but Bruce is the first guy I really remember as a star for State baseball.

Didn't you have a monster game or two out west one year Bruce? Maybe vs Grand Canyon??

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Brantley shows up in 1982. Gman was gone.
I worked with a guy back in the early 90's who like me was born in '63, H.S. Class of '81 who got to know Brantley at STATE on a casual basis. My friend asked him why didn't he stay in Alabama and play for them or AU and Brantley told him "I wanna play for a Winner".

Nov 25, 2019
There is a story behind that picture and my facial expression. That was a big HR for Gman and it was the most excited I ever saw him. So I am standing there with my hand in the air and he does a full windup and jumps into the High Five and absolutely slaps the :poop: out of my hand. That face is the registration of pain streaming through my body. I had to call timeout and go back for pine tar to get the feeling back in my hand.

It still hurts.
I remember Gman being more of a doubles hitter and a few triples, so guess he was pumped with that HR.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have vague memories of Showalter's high average season in the late 70's, but Bruce is the first guy I really remember as a star for State baseball.

Didn't you have a monster game or two out west one year Bruce? Maybe vs Grand Canyon??
I had 7 HRs and 36 RBIs in that 7 game west swing. 10 RBIs and 2 HRs against UNLV. Had 2 HR game against Oklahoma State

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
that was an awesome road trip. Was that the year of the bald dogs when almost everyone shaved their heads?
yes. Good story there. I was living in an apartment that year. Got back from Len-Lews and got a call that they were getting buzz cuts up in the dorm. I drove over and I ended up with an arrow shaped mohawk just to be different. As I went back to the apartment I get pulled over on Highway 12 at the Jitney Jungle. The officer slowly walks up to the car and has his hand on his gun. He asks for my license. I was totally sober at this point and he looks at my New York Driver's license (This was before picture IDs) and does a double take and goes "Bruce, is that you?" His demeanor had totally changed and he goes "I didn't know what the hell I was pulling over". I laughed and explained what we all just did. He was relieved and wished me a good night.

Coach Polk made me buzz the Mohawk the next day.

Bruce Mohawk 1981b.jpg

Nov 25, 2019
yes. Good story there. I was living in an apartment that year. Got back from Len-Lews and got a call that they were getting buzz cuts up in the dorm. I drove over and I ended up with an arrow shaped mohawk just to be different. As I went back to the apartment I get pulled over on Highway 12 at the Jitney Jungle. The officer slowly walks up to the car and has his hand on his gun. He asks for my license. I was totally sober at this point and he looks at my New York Driver's license (This was before picture IDs) and does a double take and goes "Bruce, is that you?" His demeanor had totally changed and he goes "I didn't know what the hell I was pulling over". I laughed and explained what we all just did. He was relieved and wished me a good night.

Coach Polk made me buzz the Mohawk the next day.

View attachment 331506
great story. All I remember was almost the entire team was bald including the managers.
What prompted that?? Suscie was cool on the bump with a clean head.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login