Drove around the Hump today

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
And yes, the whole site looks a complete disaster, (never finish on time) but they've begun staining the bricks. Matches pretty well I think. 1000000439.jpg

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Yeah and they are spending all this money and they didn't alleviate the biggest issue I have always had ....they should have changed the concourse to where there is no upper and lower bowl ....now after student, faculty and club level, there are less than 800 seats between the baselines available

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
👎👎
This is a great arena on the outside - the brick staining to color match makes it outstanding and iconic.
Been in existence since what - 1976 ?
The inside did need some work and I guess we’re accomplishing that as we speak?
It looks like an ugly Bundt cake that's been sitting out getting stale since the 70s. I hate they trashed the new area. It was something in the 90s early 2000s now the only thing that keeps it from being the ugliest building on campus is Dorman and Allen hall. But it might be a tie or worse. Athletics has the money to change the basketball arena.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It looks like an ugly Bundt cake that's been sitting out getting stale since the 70s. I hate they trashed the new area. It was something in the 90s early 2000s now the only thing that keeps it from being the ugliest building on campus is Dorman and Allen hall. But it might be a tie or worse. Athletics has the money to change the basketball arena.
WRONG!

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
This is a terrible take. So stupid and uninformed.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
The issue with the renovation is that it’s just a missed opportunity. Spending $50m+ to turn like the 11th or 12th best arena in the SEC to maybe the 8th?

Personally, I think the renovation is gonna look good. But a new arena would have set us up for decades. I think we will quickly realize that the renovations just brought us up to average where a new arena could have really set us apart.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The issue with the renovation is that it’s just a missed opportunity. Spending $50m+ to turn like the 11th or 12th best arena in the SEC to maybe the 8th?

Personally, I think the renovation is gonna look good. But a new arena would have set us up for decades. I think we will quickly realize that the renovations just brought us up to average where a new arena could have really set us apart.
Agreed. ...and I hope &elmon or the next AD trash cans Cohens cheap reno of the west side football stadium and thinks first class, long term.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Complaining about brick color or the shape of it? Sounds like a bunch of grade school kids to me worried about whether you have white socks on or not. Form over fashion every time for me. Does it work? Yes or No? No? Are things being addressed? That answer is Yes. How about let's go see how it works once it's completed next summer because we know it will never be ready on time.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Complaining about brick color or the shape of it? Sounds like a bunch of grade school kids to me worried about whether you have white socks on or not. Form over fashion every time for me. Does it work? Yes or No? No? Are things being addressed? That answer is Yes. How about let's go see how it works once it's completed next summer because we know it will never be ready on time.
Just like chicken farms, pig farms, paper mills....."smell like money", make it to sweet 16 this year and our chocolate bundt cake will just look like victory.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

There's also logic in keeping what works and only focusing on fixing what's broken. The biggest issue with the hump was the lack of space in the concourses. The arena itself was just about close to perfect. Not a bad seat in the house, decent leg room, great acoustics, and right-sized for what we need. So we kept that, and improved the fan experience around the concourses. And it will look fine when they finish staining the brick.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Just based on this picture, it looks much better. Hiding those orange bricks and making this look more uniform with the rest of campus should help.
I was on the club level of DNF awhile back during clean out and watched them stain/paint the back side for a bit. Man and woman on a boom lift 100+ feet in the air HAND painting/staining what looked like every brick individually. I was across the way but up close to their level and it appeared he had a brush, she with a rag/sponge coming along behind. They had Mize done last spring and I wondered how they got the "variegated" look to the bricks so it didn't end up looking simply "painted". One brick at a time or so it appears.

Seems they were simply staining an entire section between "the icings" a dark brown (brick and mortar) then coming back to add the contrast/variegation to each brick. They certainly had their process down whipping along and completing a good 20X10 section in the 20 to 30 minutes I was there. Just the 2 of them and not another soul in sight.

I stood there kinda mesmerized thinking, is that really how they're doing that for the entire Hump? Thought I read somewhere it had a couple million bricks or so during original construction?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah because The Pavillion has done so much to elevate the University of North MS program
The Pavilion is a reason why so many of our folks want a new arena. Penis envy.

I've been to a couple of games in the Pavilion. It's beautiful. The club amenities are top shelf. But the Hump is a better basketball arena. And the Hump isn't built in such a way that it's too close to the football stadium and precludes us from doing renovations down the line.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013

I've been to a couple of games in the Pavilion. It's beautiful. The club amenities are top shelf. But the Hump is a better basketball arena. And the Hump isn't built in such a way that it's too close to the football stadium and precludes us from doing renovations down the line.
Also has not saddled out athletic department with debt

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Arenas Envy

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

What actually makes the hump a better basketball arena. It's old and out dated as ****. The seating sucks. No club level. there are a bunch of better basketball arenas out there.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
What actually makes the hump a better basketball arena. It's old and out dated as ****. The seating sucks. No club level. there are a bunch of better basketball arenas out there.
You should go check out some other basketball arenas. Don't mistake "fresh paint" for "better"

They're adding a club level in during the renovation, by the way.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
And yes, the whole site looks a complete disaster, (never finish on time) but they've begun staining the bricks. Matches pretty well I think. View attachment 380985
Thank God State is systematically removing the orange brick from campus. I can only imagine that back in the 60s and 70s a big-time State booster owned a brick manufacturing company and kicked back money to the university if we used his ugly-*** brick.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
The seating sucks? There is genuinely not a bad seat in the entire arena. There are plenty of seats to fit our needs at the moment, and they're adding a club level with this new reno. The problem of limited space in the concourse is getting fixed with the reno too

Reactions: Bulldog45

MidsouthDawg

Aug 1, 2017
An administrator told me, that Hunter Henry was given 4 designs to choose from and he chose what we now have... Why the university included that design in the group is anybody's guess.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I always thought Hunter Henry was built from plans that an Architect in the 1960s drew, designing a "building of the future in 1995."
I was told that the story revolved around presenting concepts to the donor, and they included a bad one so that the donor would go for the preferred option but still "got to choose."

Chose the decoy.

Oops.

(Even if that's not true, it's certainly got truthiness. It is an awful concept.)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login