Ducking in the transfer portal

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

my question is
tamela mann the manns GIF by TV One

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
With the Covid year plus the NCAA granting a waiver to just about anybody who asks, idk how many years of eligibility anybody has anymore. It seems like players can play as long as they want to.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
With the Covid year plus the NCAA granting a waiver to just about anybody who asks, idk how many years of eligibility anybody has anymore. It seems like players can play as long as they want to.

He definitely has no eligibility. Not sure what kind of waiver he could get. Also the portal isn’t even open right now.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
According to hail state,

He played:

2018 - six games at Homes CC
2019 - 7 games at Homes CC
2020 - COVID but he also I think did not play for us so could have redshirted regardless
2021 - played seven games,
2022 - he played 13 games.

If that information is correct, I'm not sure how he could have another year of eligibility. Unless they are letting people who met RS requirements in 2020 have a 5th year of eligibility since people that played that year have the potential to actually play 5 seasons in games, or unless there is some weird exception related to JUCO being able to RS even after played more than 4 games, I don't know how he'd have eligibility.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
This was a guy people were hyping up. I never understood it. He was basically Joe Morrow v2.0.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Has to enroll in grad school so I'm sure whoever is talking to him and offering him money has already got that lined up.

It's basically like putting your resume online in one of those job sites. Who's hiring and how much? Will my current employer match?

Also, as mentioned before, there is a good chance he could make more than the base NFL salary for his final grad year, as well as get a grad degree.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
According to hail state,

He played:

2020 - COVID but he also I think did not play for us so could have redshirted regardless

If that information is correct, I'm not sure how he could have another year of eligibility. Unless they are letting people who met RS requirements in 2020 have a 5th year of eligibility since people that played that year have the potential to actually play 5 seasons in games, or unless there is some weird exception related to JUCO being able to RS even after played more than 4 games, I don't know how he'd have eligibility.
I’m guessing the NCAA is counting 2020 as a redshirt year since he didn’t play. So he can get 2023 as his free Covid season.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’m guessing the NCAA is counting 2020 as a redshirt year since he didn’t play. So he can get 2023 as his free Covid season.

But he used his 4 years outside of 2020 playing in more than 4 games in 18,19,21 and 22. The Covid exception just means 2020 doesn’t count against the 4 years. 247 indicates he is being given some bad guidance.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
According to hail state,

He played:

Players that were active during the covid season have 5 seasons to play.

Connor McCaffery is a 6th year player and has played 4 full seasons of basketball. This is currently his 5th full season.

There is a guy at UNC Greensboro who is in his 5th year at that school with no redshirt. I mention that since its rare and usually itll be broken up into 2 or 3 schools. He likely will end up playing 160 games in college and has played this entire season as a 25 year old.

There are a lot of 24-25 year olds playing right now, actually...and I am not even considering the Mormon Mission folk.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Connor McCaffery is a 6th year player and has played 4 full seasons of basketball. This is currently his 5th full season.

There is a guy at UNC Greensboro who is in his 5th year at that school with no redshirt. I mention that since its rare and usually itll be broken up into 2 or 3 schools. He likely will end up playing 160 games in college and has played this entire season as a 25 year old.

There are a lot of 24-25 year olds playing right now, actually...and I am not even considering the Mormon Mission folk.

My understanding is that COVID changed the rule from 5-to-play-4 to 5-to-play-5 for players active during COVID. You get the 5 years and that’s it, and you can play in all of them. He could have played in 2020 but didn’t. That was his potential 5th season. Its probably not impossible for you to get a 6th year to play 5, but you have to get an injury waiver / extra permission from the NCAA. From looking at that Iowa player’s stats, my guess is that he got such a waiver for his freshmen season. But its not guaranteed, and if Ducking hasn’t actually received the waiver yet then he’s going to be untouchable in the portal. I have no idea if Ducking would qualify for that in 2020 or not.

Case and point - Luke Hancock. He’s entering his 5th and final year of eligibilty for the baseball team after already having played in all of his previous 4 years. He can’t just decide to redshirt this year, and then play in his 6th season next year in 2024.

Last edited:

3dawgnight

Aug 27, 2012
I’m not hating but he blatantly pouted a few times when he didn’t get the ball and took a lot of plays off. If one were to watch the full replays of several games, it’s noticeable.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not hating but he blatantly pouted a few times when he didn’t get the ball and took a lot of plays off. If one were to watch the full replays of several games, it’s noticeable.

Below is the list of WR’s throughout the country who don’t pout and take plays off when they don’t get the ball:

That should be all of them.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well, the UNC Greensboro guy played in 2020, and that year didn't count, so it makes sense that he is getting to play a full fifth year.

The Iowa guy is getting to play in 6 seasons. I assume that's a combination of 2020 not counting and getting some sort of medical redshirt for his freshman year since he only played 4 games.

I have not heard of anybody saying that you are entitled to 5 seasons of actual play because of covid. I have heard it said that 2020 basically just didn't count. So if you redshirted in 2019, and played in 2020, you still end up as a RS Freshman. That would not automatically mean that if you redshirted in 2020, you get a 5th year of eligibility to actually play in the field. Certainly wouldn't be unfair to treat it like that and maybe that's what's happening with Ducking. I'm curious whether he is waiting on a waiver/exemption and we told him to go ahead and look elsewhere because we weren't going to hold a scholarship for him in case he is granted some sort of waiver/exemption.

As far as people acting like they're glad he's leaving, I don't get that. He's not outstanding, but he's solid and since he basically didn't play outside of an option offense until 2020, it's not crazy to think he might continue to improve even though he's an older player. The comparison to Joe Morrow is a good one. That's the only other wide receiver that I remember that noticeably improved every year. Usually once you get a couple of years in with meaningful playing time, you usually don't have a big jump outside of maybe QB or O-line.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My understanding is that COVID changed the rule from 5-to-play-4 to 5-to-play-5 for players active during COVID. You get the 5 years and that’s it, and you can play in all of them. He could have played in 2020 but didn’t. That was his potential 5th season. Its probably not impossible for you to get a 6th year to play 5, but you have to get an injury waiver / extra permission from the NCAA. From looking at that Iowa player’s stats, my guess is that he got such a waiver for his freshmen season. But its not guaranteed, and if he hasn’t actually received the waiver yet then he’s going to be untouchable in the portal. I have no idea if Ducking would qualify for that in 2020 or not.

Case and point - Luke Hancock. He’s entering his 5th and final year of eligibilty for the baseball team after already having played in all of his previous 4 years. He can’t just decide to redshirt this year, and then play in his 6th season next year in 2024.
The Iowa player is the son of the coach and his brother also plays on the team, so he isnt going to the portal regardless. He redshirted his first year because he played baseball- it was planned.

Another Iowa player just left at the end of last season after having spent 6 years in the program. He played 179 games in total. 5 full seasons of play plus an injury reshirt season where he played in 10 games.

^ Just mentioning these since the thread is a little bit about Ontario Harper like players.

Interesting that your take is 5 to play 5 and not 6 to play 5. Thank you for clarifying that. I am definitely curious and will for sure google. I have seen a lot of 6th year players, so perhaps the explanation there is that the NCAA is giving out waivers left and right?

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
All of you acting like we are better without him are ridiculous.... Is he going to be our #1? no. But him not being here is not a positive.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Iowa player is the son of the coach and his brother also plays on the team, so he isnt going to the portal regardless. He redshirted his first year because he played baseball- it was planned.

Sorry, I wasn’t talking about the Iowa player being in the portal. I was referring to Ducking. I edited for clarification.

Regarding the redshirt year, he shows game stats in 2017-2018, so it seems that it wasn’t necessarily a planned redshirt year. Maybe it was still ruled a medical waiver?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I don't think he was able to redshirt his first year on campus. He was academically ineligible and lost that year. This year was his COVID year. He is out of eligibility. Him not understanding that could explain why he wasn't able to redshirt.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Below is the list of WR’s throughout the country who don’t pout and take plays off when they don’t get the ball:

That should be all of them.
May I add. List of talented and productive players who aren't primadonnas:

List complete.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
He would be 7th-8th receiver …in a system that uses 2-3 at a time

Would be a nice TE IMO

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login