Duke is lacking in talent

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
The last couple of tournaments have been easy to forecast for Duke. K hasn't recruited well since the JJ/Shelden class. Nelson is a role player thrust into a leadership position. Paulus is average. McRoberts was too. Henderson is Nelson part two. K had better find some real talent if he wants to return to the Final Four. Or for that matter, the Sweet 16 or the second round.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
of why it is so difficult to win in March. A guy with all the success of Coach K - you know he had his team prepared, but nearly fell victim to possibly the biggest first round upset of all time. That's why, although you wish Stansbury's previous NCAA trips had resulted in deeper runs, I find it hard to get too upset about it, because **** happens in March. Eventually, Rick will make that run. The key to making a run is getting to the tournament routinely, and we are starting to do that.

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
"The key to making a run is getting to the tournament routinely, and we are starting to do that. "
this is the first time we've been to the tourney in 3 years. That's not exactly getting to the tournament routinely.

Although I do agree with your premise of if we make it often enough, we'll eventually get to a Sweet 16, maybe farther.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
starting to. Before the down period, we went 4 years in a row. Conveniently, you left that out.

It takes a long time to build a program to where you are in the dance every single year. Even then, you are going to have down times. Look at UConn - missed the tourney altogether last year before rebounding this year. Look at Florida. There are lots of examples. Arizona almost missed it this year for the first time in 24 years.

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
This is the first time we've been back in 3 years, after making that 4 year run. It's not an especially long time, but enough of a time span to disrupt consistency in being a regular in the NCAA tourney. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but that's how I see it.</p>

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
Three years?

We didn't make the tourney in '06 and '07. 1+1 doesn't equal three unless you are Peaches and you'd also like to say that Gary Ervin gets credit for appearing in the NCAAs the year he sat out.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
BewareOfMSUDawg said:
2005 was 3 years ago.

Yeah, but we made the tourney this year, so you don't get to count it. 2007 was a year ago, but you wouldn't say UCLA hasn't made the tournament in a year.
</p>

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
I should have said in a 3 year period:

2006, 2007, and 2008.

2008 is the only year we've made the tourney; therefore, this is the first time in 3 years we've made the tourney.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
BewareOfMSUDawg said:
I should have said in a 3 year period:

2006, 2007, and 2008.

2008 is the only year we've made the tourney; therefore, this is the first time in 3 years we've made the tourney.

Which is just a stupid way to say it so it make's Stansbury's record look worse.

sort of like...

This is the first time in a year that Roy Williams has had the Tar Heels in the tournament.

</p>

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
been taking too much of what's in your avatar? I'm not trying to make Stans look bad (I like him). I just thought the original poster's point was a little inaccurate, although now that I think about it he was probably referring more to Stans' overall tenure here. I wasn't including the 4 year run due to the fact that it's been a little while since then; I'm looking at the more recent. Don't confuse me with Peaches.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login