Durkin was turned down by the administration.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Maybe, but he’s been at OM and TAM in the last couple years.

He was definitely in the running. Not sure what happen.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Probably due to the fact of everything that happened at Maryland with him.
You mean a player died in normal workouts? Happens alot. Here's some headlines for you:

-Aug 30, 2023 — A senior football player at Bowie High School almost died from a heat stroke after a game last week, according to his mom.
-Aug 18, 2023 — William Shogran Jr. was at football camp with the Sebastian football team when he fell ill and died of heat stroke.
-Roughly one week after passing out following a training run during Saline High's (Mich.) preseason football camp, 15-year-old Jeremy Tarlea died from heat stroke. Tarlea passed away late Wednesday (Aug. 16)

Nebraska football player dies after heat-related medical

Aug 9, 2023 — Hezekiah Walters died after collapsing during football practice on a hot day. Hezekiah Walters was 14 years old

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Probably due to the fact of everything that happened at Maryland with him.
If this is true and our administration turned him down, we have just given up on prioritizing winning. I have had my suspicions along the way, but this will confirm it. I thought maybe by hiring Lebby in the face of all the crybabies, it was a sign that we had matured in our corporate decision making and there was hope there for a minute.

Hopefully this isn't the reason we don't end up with Durkin.

Reactions: jacksondawg20

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If this is true and our administration turned him down, we have just given up on prioritizing winning. I have had my suspicions along the way, but this will confirm it. I thought maybe by hiring Lebby in the face of all the crybabies, it was a sign that we had matured in our corporate decision making and there was hope there for a minute.

Well, it's total BS to hold him accountable for something like that.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You mean a player died in normal workouts? Happens alot. Here's some headlines for you:

-Aug 30, 2023 — A senior football player at Bowie High School almost died from a heat stroke after a game last week, according to his mom.
-Aug 18, 2023 — William Shogran Jr. was at football camp with the Sebastian football team when he fell ill and died of heat stroke.
-Roughly one week after passing out following a training run during Saline High's (Mich.) preseason football camp, 15-year-old Jeremy Tarlea died from heat stroke. Tarlea passed away late Wednesday (Aug. 16)

Aug 9, 2023 — Hezekiah Walters died after collapsing during football practice on a hot day. Hezekiah Walters was 14 years old
FYI - I'm not thumbs-upping the fact that these players died... it's horrible. But that was for you for pointing out facts.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I understand. We are on the same page. Medical things happen. It's sad, but they do happen.
Coaches ignoring basic safety measures happens too. Not saying Durkin did that, but if he did (including stuff that may not have made official reports), it would explain some things. If this rejection really happened, then the Board likely made some calls and didnt like what they heard. Also a big legal liability difference between a coach that has had this happen already and one that hasn't.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I don't think that normalizing players dying of heat stroke is a good thing. Hopefully this will result in training changes to make it safer lest we return to the days of salt tablets and withholding water.

Reactions: Dawgg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I tend to believe we have not had many guys having real interest to become a defensive coordinator for us because of the following:

1. Coaching instability/turnover
2. First time head coach
3. Offensive system set to score fast which wears down your defense.
4. Looked at our roster and saw how much talent we are losing.
5. Trying to stop SEC offenses to be successful.

If the potential defensive coordinator candidate has any aspirations on becoming a head coach, these are some major pitfalls. We may have to accept that we will need to promote a position coach to coordinator here or find a DII phenom. Even the mid major coordinators probably will hold out for a bigger job. Most of these existing coordinators are probably fishing for a raise

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think that normalizing players dying of heat stroke is a good thing. Hopefully this will result in training changes to make it safer lest we return to the days of salt tablets and withholding water.
Who TF would normalize players dying? That would be terrible.

I'm guessing it did result in changes for Durkin himself (who some people seem to solely blame for this incident because he was head coach) since it happened in May 2018 and I haven't heard of him killing off any players at Ole Miss, Texas A&M, or the Atlanta Falcons since then.

This is so ridiculous, just like the Lebby conversation previously was. I'm hanging on to the hope that we didn't hire him for some other reason (money) than something stupid like holding that poor kid's death against him now, 5 1/2 years later and after three other teams have been glad to have him.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Who TF would normalize players dying? That would be terrible.

I'm guessing it did result in changes for Durkin himself (who some people seem to solely blame for this incident because he was head coach) since it happened in May 2018 and I haven't heard of him killing off any players at Ole Miss, Texas A&M, or the Atlanta Falcons since then.

This is so ridiculous, just like the Lebby conversation previously was. I'm hanging on to the hope that we didn't hire him for some other reason (money) than something stupid like holding that poor kid's death against him now, 5 1/2 years later and after three other teams have been glad to have him.
I was responding to the OPs list of players who died from heat stroke and asserting that such occurrences should be help as a need for change, not a reason to simply excuse it as par for the course. I may have misunderstood the OPs intent with that list. I also don't have any details on Durkin's situation so I'm not burning him in effigy either.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Those are all bad too. Doesn’t make what happened at Maryland better.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I'm talking solely from memory here and have not attempted to research it at all further, but weren't there some extenuating circumstances in and around the program under Durkin at Maryland that exacerbated what happened there?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

No one has a clue if that’s true. Lbdancin just saying something and yall running with it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Coaches ignoring basic safety measures happens too. Not saying Durkin did that, but if he did (including stuff that may not have made official reports), it would explain some things. If this rejection really happened, then the Board likely made some calls and didnt like what they heard. Also a big legal liability difference between a coach that has had this happen already and one that hasn't.
Which board?

You are SOOO SOFTTTT!

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
No one has a clue if that’s true. Lbdancin just saying something and yall running with it.
My first post started with "If this is true..." and my second post including the qualifying phrase that I'm hanging on to the hope that it's not true.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Who normalized it? I'm saying it happens.

They did try to help the guy by cooling him down with wet towels (needed to be ice tub). Yep, education needs to happen at every level.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm talking solely from memory here and have not attempted to research it at all further, but weren't there some extenuating circumstances in and around the program under Durkin at Maryland that exacerbated what happened there?

No, just his position group running drills. Their mistake was not identifying either. It was their treatment. They tried to cool his body with wet towels and it was not enough.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
My first post started with "If this is true..." and my second post including the qualifying phrase that I'm hanging on to the hope that it's not true.
Wasn’t really directed at tou

but highly unlikely it’s true just in case you aren’t sure

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I take it that you are happy with promoting a position coach to coordinator to coincide with another position coach being promoted to coordinator on the other side of the ball with a first year head coach?
No I just find it funny you think a guy on the internet named 7dust knows whether or not Geoff Collins was contacted or not

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Valid point. It has been a couple decades since I’ve even seen that user name.
No one on this message board knows.

A - if someone knows, they aren’t telling on this message board. They may repeat some BS they heard. Or simply made up.

B - they don’t know.

Dawgstudent didn’t know or either didn’t say on any of the hires. You think 7 dust knows? Or goat? Or pain don’t hurt?

Reactions: 3407Dewey
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login