DWS Renovations Rumors…

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Davis Wade Stadium will have a west side renovation around the current press box area. It will be called the Legacy Suites. There will be 6 central legacy suites with 2 club levels, one north and one south of the legacy suites. The look and feel will be similar to the scoreboard club.

Davis Wade Stadium renovation: The project includes the demolition of the west 200 level Press Box and surrounding areas. This area will be replaced with new suites, restrooms, and relocation of the scoreboard, game clock, and space for replay and camera staff.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
Davis Wade Stadium will have a west side renovation around the current press box area. It will be called the Legacy Suites. There will be 6 central legacy suites with 2 club levels, one north and one south of the legacy suites. The look and feel will be similar to the scoreboard club.

Davis Wade Stadium renovation: The project includes the demolition of the west 200 level Press Box and surrounding areas. This area will be replaced with new suites, restrooms, and relocation of the scoreboard, game clock, and space for replay and camera staff.

they need to close in the endzone, so it does not look like a high school stadium

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
“Legacy Suites” sounds like a cheap extended stay hotel.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
What do you recommend? Lemme guess...a hotel? I don't see the AD doing anything of that scale that isn't a solid revenue generator. I'm all for improving the stadium, but with attendance dropping nationwide, adding anything to the stadium that isn't an amenity or cosmetic can be a flop. Y'all act like we are packing the stadium like Ohio State.

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
I think the right way to do it would be pop off the whole upper deck (100/200/300) off and completely rebuild it. Match the look of the east side with two levels of club seating, two-three levels of suites (maybe one level of “buy by the game” rather than full year commitment) and an upper level of lofts like left field / this years lounges that everybody could go to for an affordable price (maybe $25-50 per person). Have two three levels of standing room only rails and then a club-like lounge with a bar, food vendors and a bunch of TVs with chairs / couches.

Maybe one of the graphics experts can mock this up. If we’re doing this reno, May as well make it one of the coolest spots in the league.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No way they lounges should be sold single games for $25-$50 a person

Maybe and a big maybe at that price if you commit to a year.

Wanna buy a single sec game? $75 to $100
Non sec? $50 to $60

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Sounds like a good approach. It will reduce capacity some but we've not sold out the stadium in quite a few years. And fans like the premium areas, even though they're quite expensive. Presumably the new press box will be larger and basically in the same place as now?

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
What do you recommend? Lemme guess...a hotel? I don't see the AD doing anything of that scale that isn't a solid revenue generator. I'm all for improving the stadium, but with attendance dropping nationwide, adding anything to the stadium that isn't an amenity or cosmetic can be a flop. Y'all act like we are packing the stadium like Ohio State.

If you chairback the stadium and add suites to the end zone the capacity wouldn’t increase. It would probably decrease. The south end zone being open is embarrassing for an SEC program and should have been taken care of a long time ago. Definitely before anything is done to the west side. It makes us look like a small time program when we are one of 3 programs in our conference with an open end zone.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Well, crud.

I'm in the 200s, and as a former member of the Club Level, that brings me nothing extra that I care about. Barring just doing a resurfacing of what's in place now outside of the pressbox (pipe dream, I know) I was hoping they'd take care of the south endzone first and I'd have time for my kids to age out and then the wife and I could just drop to the 100's when this happened.
Hopefully they have the demand in place for this and it's good for the university.

ETA: or chairback the stadium first. The attendance trend isn't reversing...can't believe we're not at least doing that to slow the bleeding.

Last edited:

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Maroon chair backs throughout the entire stadium minus the student sections.
I would like to see that renovation to the West side, certainly needs it.
Sometime very soon begin a South EZ renovation with maroon chairbacks to enclose the stadium

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I think the right way to do it would be pop off the whole upper deck (100/200/300) off and completely rebuild it. Match the look of the east side with two levels of club seating, two-three levels of suites (maybe one level of “buy by the game” rather than full year commitment) and an upper level of lofts like left field / this years lounges that everybody could go to for an affordable price (maybe $25-50 per person). Have two three levels of standing room only rails and then a club-like lounge with a bar, food vendors and a bunch of TVs with chairs / couches.

Maybe one of the graphics experts can mock this up. If we’re doing this reno, May as well make it one of the coolest spots in the league.

That would have been the right approach for sure. Unfortunately, we already decided to dump a few million into the lipstick-on-a-pig approach with the balconies on the current upper deck, and we appear to be doing the same thing (with several million dollars more) by shoe-horning “updated” premium seating into the existing configuration.

So, it certainly looks like we’re going to be stuck with both a crap aesthetic and less available premium seating real estate on the West side for at least another 20-25 years.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If you chairback the stadium and add suites to the end zone the capacity wouldn’t increase. It would probably decrease. The south end zone being open is embarrassing for an SEC program and should have been taken care of a long time ago. Definitely before anything is done to the west side. It makes us look like a small time program when we are one of 3 programs in our conference with an open end zone.

I disagree that the stadium looks bad as is, but I do agree it would look better bowled in.

I agree strongly with the chairbacks. I think Stanford may have done this a few years ago. Comfort is where we need to be thinking in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to see capacity drop much below 60k. Ideally we could chairback at least the lower level and keep above 60k

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I disagree that the stadium looks bad as is, but I do agree it would look better bowled in.

I agree strongly with the chairbacks. I think Stanford may have done this a few years ago. Comfort is where we need to be thinking in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to see capacity drop much below 60k. Ideally we could chairback at least the lower level and keep above 60k

Bleacher seating is one of the 10 reasons for not going to a game

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Well I certainly don't know all the financial details of Mississippi States athletic department. However renovation of the Hump and now just a renovation of the west side. Sounds to me there is minimal money for theses projects.

State needed a totally new basketball arena and to totally rebuild the west side. But some upgrades are better than none.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013

Relative to the neighborhood we live in, our stadium doesn’t look like a big time atmosphere. If we played against Memphis and Houston every week we would be on par and fine with them but we don’t. We don’t need to have extra seating but we need to “look big” if that makes sense.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm not against that. I just don't think MSU would spend $75+ million on adding some suites. It's a weird time right now. Building something like that costs 50% more than you think and fan attendance is waning. IMO it doesn't make sense right now. I'd keep putting lipstick on the pig and focus on cheap upgrades that would keep the existing clientele coming back. To sum it up...fan experience.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm always shocked at how comfortable and how small they are. And everything is generally easy to access.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I see where OM has announced a delay of their plans to renovate VH's west side. They cited the inflation of construction cost and rising interest rates as issues. As well as, needing to complete other projects. In other words the money isn't there.

Oregon States complete rebuild of their west side is estimated to cost $153 million dollars. Oregon State has received donations of approximately $85 million so far.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I see where OM has announced a delay of their plans to renovate VH's west side. They cited the inflation of construction cost and rising interest rates as issues. As well as, needing to complete other projects. In other words the money isn't there.

Oregon States complete rebuild of their west side is estimated to cost $153 million dollars. Oregon State has received donations of approximately $85 million so far.

Money may very well be tight but I don’t think that is an issue for ole miss or us. The cost of materials is a real issue and if I could delay a project I would too, within reason. If you get a year or 2 down the road and materials are still high then I guess I’d consider it the new normal.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not against that. I just don't think MSU would spend $75+ million on adding some suites. It's a weird time right now. Building something like that costs 50% more than you think and fan attendance is waning. IMO it doesn't make sense right now. I'd keep putting lipstick on the pig and focus on cheap upgrades that would keep the existing clientele coming back. To sum it up...fan experience.

And also when you're about to start asking fans to pay more money for NIL. I think we should be managing our capital expenditures with the expectation that fan giving (to the school) will be flat as money gets diverted to NIL efforts.

But I agree with doing things like chair backs and converting regular seating to premium seating where it's economic.

I would love to have a hotel or condos utilized to help close in the stadium if the demand was there to make that pay for itself, I just don't know that it is.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

We don’t need a complete rebuild….just the upper deck and premium levels. We already did a lower level renovation with the NEZ expansion. And if the money’s not there, that’s fine. But don’t force yourself into keeping the old infrastructure forever by pumping millions into piecemeal minor upgrades that would have to be subsequently ripped out if you ever did anything substantial. Save or invest that money and do it right when more money flows in and/or business conditions are more favorable for the construction work.

Last edited:

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
And also when you're about to start asking fans to pay more money for NIL. I think we should be managing our capital expenditures with the expectation that fan giving (to the school) will be flat as money gets diverted to NIL efforts.

I think that this is the largest piece of that puzzle that is changing planning. Schools cannot count on the same giving levels going forward. Many people are going to decide to give 1/2 of what they previously gave and give the other half to NIL with the hope that it brings players. That will create challenges.

Therefore, the schools are going to look at it as "how do I take the same space and charge more for it?" This will be the amp up in premium opportunities with lower capacities.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Stanford demolished their old 89,000-seat stadium and rebuilt it to 50,000 chairback seats after the ‘05 season.

And that old stadium was outdated.

They had to move their ‘06 home opener against San Jose State to Spartan Stadium but did play Navy at their new stadium the next week.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
They are comfortable, I just get sick and tired of getting up every 17in time somebody on the row comes by, w/ bleacher seating I don't have to.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Well, the M Club looks like a ****, to be blunt. The holiday inn express they tried there didn't help. I really want to spend maybe 30 minutes sketching up a napkin sketch that is going to be absolutely gold and just handing it to Cohen.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
This may be my last year to buy season tickets if my 200 level seats go away without a replacement option that is as good if not better. I'm curious to see what options the 200 level ticket holder will be given since the majority are long time donors that spend more than the average fan year after year.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
FWIW, I tried to buy season tickets for the first time ever this year - wanted 3 club level seats since my kids are still pretty young and it's nice to have chair back seats, easy access to food and bathrooms, and a place to go if it's too hot/cold/wet. They were sold out, so I wound up not getting anything.

Agree that I'd like to see us bowl in the end zone before doing anything else. With attendance trends being what they are, I guess if I could wave a magic wand I'd bowl in the EZ, make the west side mirror the east side and replace most of the bleachers with chair backs, and do some major upgrades to concessions/bathrooms, even if it meant taking a hit on overall capacity.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There is nothing embarrassing about our stadium since the previous expansion.

Aesthetically it’s a top half sec stadium. Might be top 5.

Do we need to eventually come up with a plan to finish the south endzone? Sure BUT the words high school and embarrassing make people look dumb. Don’t be dumb.

dogmatic

Aug 22, 2012
I agree. Chairbacks throughout the stadium seems like the bare minimum.

I bought season football tickets this year for the first time in a very long time -- I had my pick of the stadium, including 50 yard line, west side, lower level.

There's no way the attendance trend is going to reverse on its own. If we don't have a better-than-average season this year, next year's season ticket sales may be truly abysmal. I know we've had lots of historical badness, but factors like lingering covid and an impending recession, coupled with every single game on TV ready to be watched from the comfort of your own living room or back yard, make spending a number with a comma in it and going to the games a choice that takes some justification.

The number of fans who'll always go to the games in person no matter what is going to shrink generationally no matter what. There should at least be chairbacks when they do.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login