East Carolina walk-off negated

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Does anyone have links to video of this controversial game?

From East Carolina recap: "Heading into the bottom of the ninth with the game square at three, Justin Wilcoxen sent a 1-0 offering from Picard over the right field wall for what should have been the game-winner, but officials had called time thus thwarting the Pirates from picking up their first win. Wilcoxen and Zach Agnos would fly out in the frame and Carter Cunningham was thrown out trying to swipe second to end the inning."

East Carolina ended up losing the game and getting swept. Apparently, time was called by the first baseman just before the pitch was thrown. I think the East Carolina coach was ejected.

Haven't seen time granted to a first baseman just before a pitch is thrown. Would love to see video of this.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I was watching the game when it happened. First base ump called time right as pitcher started windup. Said the sun got in his eye so he couldn’t see. No one heard him call time but first baseman and maybe the coach.

A major issue is he didn’t keep his hands up when he called time so it was very odd. Then they conferences and gave the time.

I have never seen an ump call time for the sun. And he really did a terrible job of letting it be known - you could tell he screwed up.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I was watching the game when it happened. First base ump called time right as pitcher started windup. Said the sun got in his eye so he couldn’t see. No one heard him call time but first baseman and maybe the coach.

A major issue is he didn’t keep his hands up when he called time so it was very odd. Then they conferences and gave the time.

I have never seen an ump call time for the sun. And he really did a terrible job of letting it be known - you could tell he screwed up.

Ok, so it was the first base ump that called time for himself, not the first base ump granting time to the first baseman?

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
You don't just get a video, you get me a Jomboy? Cheers, Mate.

So 2 things:
1-100% the umpire wanted to let it go, but the first baseman wouldn't let him. Bryant owes 1 win to that first baseman.
2-The sun appears to be coming from the left field foul pole. Seems like umpires would constantly be calling time if that was worth stopping the game as the pitcher delivered.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
First Base Ump called time for himself because...wait for it..."he couldn't see."

As a former ump, I would never call timeout if the pitcher: 1) has started his windup; or 2) looks like he is about to start his windup.

As the first base ump, the only thing you have to look at is first base itself. You can listen for the infielder's throw to hit the first baseman's glove and determine where that sound occurs with respect to the hitter's foot as he runs to first.

Shade the sunlight with your hand, if it gives you trouble. The sun didn't just appear suddenly out of nowhere.

I know the first base ump feels like ****. I can guarantee you he wanted to have the game end with that home run . . . except that his stupid *** called timeout.

What an idiot.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I tip my cap in respect to your willingness to be an umpire. I get that they're under a lot of pressure, so they must do it for the love of the game. I've had an opportunity to volunteer to do so, low Dixie Youth level, but I declined & coached instead.

What's the highest level you officiated?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Dude . . . try not to laugh, but I've umped (and reffed basketball) in the local rec leagues . . . and that was years ago.

That said, even at that level, you still have to handle the same sorts of issues that all other umps have (e.g., the sun).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I tip my cap in respect to your willingness to be an umpire. I get that they're under a lot of pressure, so they must do it for the love of the game. I've had an opportunity to volunteer to do so, low Dixie Youth level, but I declined & coached instead.

If you ever need more volunteer coaches, just ask for volunteer refs or umps. We have basically zero adult refs in rec soccer (just a couple of immigrants that just love soccer and they are good). We actually have a majority in baseball. Not sure if that's just because a lot of adults didn't play soccer as much growing up (the baseball umps are older) or if they pay more or what.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
-Godwin says he can't understand why the ump needs to be able to see?

-Bryant w/ just over 3,000 students and plays such powerhouses as Sacred Heart, Mount St Mary's, Hartford, Brown, etc swept #12 East Carolina?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login