Ed Orgeron recruiting stories

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I liked the Adrian Peterson one about trying to get his dad transferred to a prison in Los Angeles.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That was pretty good. He will be in pretty big demand next year if he decides he’s willing to be an assistant

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I can't speak to his recruiting, but I have some stories about how he treated his assistants.

When they came in to the office they had to turn their cell phones in. Couldn't communicate with family. Only football and he kept them there to extreme hours. Treated them like ****. One example...he asked one of his off-field coaches to break down something defensively (I can't remember what it was) that was very specific and tedious from all of the previous years game film. The coach spent hours on this until the earlier morning hours. When he finished, Orgeron came in, watched like 30 seconds and said "good". Never used the film. This version of Orgeron is known by his close friends as Bay Bay Orgeron. Bay Bay is a pos.

When he went back to USC he tried to change his ways and be a players coach. He started to be the Ed that we saw take over USC and the one that took over LSU. He treated his staff well. Treated players good. Loved by everyone. It didn't last. Bay Bay emerged after he won the 2019 title. It's the real Ed. He was being someone that he's not. It got him to the top, but it never was going to last. He went back to treating players and staff like **** again this past season and we see where it got him. This all came from the assistant I mentioned earlier in my post so it's about as close as you can get to hearing it come straight from Bay Bay himself.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
So mine isn't as crazy/never be considered a legendary story. But my parents and I cackle until our stomachs hurt every time we re-tell it.

In 2007, Ole Miss was recruiting me HARDDDDD. And they were great at it to tell the truth. State wouldn't hardly look at me during this time. I had Northwestern, UVA, LSU, Tennessee, and then Bama came on at the end before I committed to State. Of those, Ole Miss was recruiting me the heaviest.

Wanna know who at Ole Miss was in charge of recruiting me? Good ole snake oil salesmen Hugh Freeze. Crazy.

Back then (I think it's still pretty similar today), colleges that were interested in you would invite you to their football "camp". But what they really did was pull you and the other recruits out of the general camp basically put you through a combine-like regiment.

Ole Miss was our first stop. (That summer we did OM, Northwestern, UVA, Bama, then right at the end State invited me to come to theirs).

Now, I grew up a State fan. My parents brought me to football games starting in the late 90's with some of Jackie's great teams. I grew up HATING Ole Miss. Still do.

So it's my dad, mom, and me in the car. Headed to Oxford. And we are not excited about it. We all hate Ole Miss. We literally almost just turned around like 3 times. No joke.

To break the shared tension among us on the car ride here, I started quoting that parody Ed Orgeron Colonel Reb is Crying song (https://youtu.be/6n1KPQmdddY)

My parents had never heard it before and we were dying laughing the entire way to Oxford.

We get there and boy they put on a show recruiting wise. I felt like a king. Hugh is a really good recruiter obviously. I go through the whole combine thing/punt some balls/etc.

Hugh brings us into one of the position group's film room. Us being mom, dad, and myself. We thought maybe we were going to watch some of my film from earlier in the day (they filmed every single punt).

So we're just sitting there in silence.

All of a sudden, Ed Orgeron BURSTS through the door and immediately starts saying yelling "BAKA WE LIKE GOOD PUNTAS. YOU GOOD PUNTA. WE REALLY THINK YOU BE GOOD AND CONTRIBUTE AT OLE MISS. WE WANT YOU TO COME TO OUR SENIOR DAY AND EXPERIENCE GAMEDAY AT OLE MIH. OK IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU". Then he storms out as quickly as he came in.

During his entire dialogue, I'm having to utilize jedi mind tricks to keep from laughing because it was EXACTLY the impression I had been doing the entire ride up there. I couldn't even look at mom or dad or we'd all just bust out laughing. He came in and out so quickly and so abruptly, I literally did not get one word in lol.

So now without fail, anytime I see Ed on TV or anything and I'm with my parents, I immediately go into the Colonel Reb is Crying song.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
So mine isn't as crazy/never be considered a legendary story. But my parents and I cackle until our stomachs hurt every time we re-tell it.

In 2007, Ole Miss was recruiting me HARDDDDD. And they were great at it to tell the truth. State wouldn't hardly look at me during this time. I had Northwestern, UVA, LSU, Tennessee, and then Bama came on at the end before I committed to State. Of those, Ole Miss was recruiting me the heaviest.

Wanna know who at Ole Miss was in charge of recruiting me? Good ole snake oil salesmen Hugh Freeze. Crazy.

Back then (I think it's still pretty similar today), colleges that were interested in you would invite you to their football "camp". But what they really did was pull you and the other recruits out of the general camp basically put you through a combine-like regiment.

Ole Miss was our first stop. (That summer we did OM, Northwestern, UVA, Bama, then right at the end State invited me to come to theirs).

Now, I grew up a State fan. My parents brought me to football games starting in the late 90's with some of Jackie's great teams. I grew up HATING Ole Miss. Still do.

So it's my dad, mom, and me in the car. Headed to Oxford. And we are not excited about it. We all hate Ole Miss. We literally almost just turned around like 3 times. No joke.

To break the shared tension among us on the car ride here, I started quoting that parody Ed Orgeron Colonel Reb is Crying song (https://youtu.be/6n1KPQmdddY)

My parents had never heard it before and we were dying laughing the entire way to Oxford.

We get there and boy they put on a show recruiting wise. I felt like a king. Hugh is a really good recruiter obviously. I go through the whole combine thing/punt some balls/etc.

Hugh brings us into one of the position group's film room. Us being mom, dad, and myself. We thought maybe we were going to watch some of my film from earlier in the day (they filmed every single punt).

All of a sudden, Ed Orgeron BURSTS through the door and immediately starts saying yelling "BAKA WE LIKE GOOD PUNTAS. YOU GOOD PUNTA. WE REALLY THINK YOU BE GOOD AND CONTRIBUTE AT OLE MISS. WE WANT YOU TO COME TO OUR SENIOR DAY AND EXPERIENCE GAMEDAY AT OLE MIH. OK IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU". Then he storms out as quickly as he came in.

During his entire dialogue, I'm having to utilize jedi mind tricks to keep from laughing because it was EXACTLY the impression I had been doing the entire ride up there. I couldn't even look at mom or dad or we'd all just bust out laughing. He came in and out so quickly and so abruptly, I literally did not get one word in lol.

So now without fail, anytime I see Ed on TV or anything and I'm with my parents, I immediately go into the Colonel Reb is Crying song.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Those were a couple elite academic schools (NW & UVA) recruiting you. Was it the ties to State that led you to staying or something else?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There are stories going around now that "Ed lost who he was" after winning in 2019. Even Coach61 could have coached that team to a championship. And they all left afterwards. More money.

[TWEET]1256666887833948160[/TWEET]

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
One of my favorite Egg Bowl memories is hearing the kids at Davis Wade singing this after State sent O packing.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
From what I've heard the store is true except he didn't lose who he was. His fake persona that he was trying to maintain went away and Bay Bay took over.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

My friend played baseball at Ole Miss during the Orgeron tenure. He somehow got his cell phone number. That man would answer our drunk calls through all hours of the night.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
My friend played baseball at Ole Miss during the Orgeron tenure. He somehow got his cell phone number. That man would answer our drunk calls through all hours of the night.

That is hilarious! Hey Coach O, I know it's late, but what are you thoughts on Tibet?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Great story, thanks for sharing. Those were a couple elite academic schools (NW & UVA) recruiting you. Was it the ties to State that led you to staying or something else?
For sure. Yeah I mean I was waiting for an offer from State from the jump. There were months where I thought I was going to have to end up at Ole Miss. Saban had a 1:1 meeting with me and said that they'd already offered a kicker a scholly but he wanted me to walk on at Bama and eventually get a scholarship.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
I liked his mentioning being a good listener. My career was sales, my success was because I listened to what my customer thought they needed, and that's what I always found for them in my product. Of course, I couldn't create a sale if I couldn't uncover a need. Listening was key, and many I worked with were incapable of simply listening. Always found it odd that some couldn't figure it out. Obviously, Cousin Eddie figured it out a long time ago.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
On NIL, "You better have your stuff together. You better have a lot of money ready, and you better have a system."

Is Cohen up to the task?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login