Egg Bowl Travel: Where to stay and where to eat?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Bought tickets this morning and I know there will be nowhere to stay in Starkville without looking. We'll be coming up 45 so I figure Columbus is our best bet. Where should we look to stay in Columbus for Thursday night? Or is there somewhere else worth looking at?

Next question - where should we try to get reservations for on Thursday or who is doing reservations? Tyler?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
18th Ave has the newest hotels and they are right there at the exit, i.e. Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard Marriott, Hampton Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites. There's a Cracker Barrell at that exit and you're only 1 exit past all the restaurants on 45.

The old Ramada Inn at Hwy 45 exit was completely remodeled about a year or 2 and is a LaQuinta now, that's where most visiting teams stay so you may or may not want that. Check Airbnb if you like to do that type accomodations, there's some neat lofts downtown and the old high school is now all or mostly lofts too.

Try Anthony's in W Point. Harvey's still going but I think they may be remodeling. Still hard to beat the Old Hickory on 45 for a steak, its old and been there forever but easy to get in and out of. Huck's is downtown Columbus and Zachary's is a few blocks away and has typical bar type food, decent beer selection. Lot's of people like Profit's Porch which is a little bit of a drive but is popular. Mexican Kitchen has been open since the '70s if not longer and that should tell you something. It was my favorite when in school in the 80s.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
West Point has a couple of newer hotels around Mossy Oak. That would be closer than Columbus. Second for Anthony’s in WP.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
18th Ave has the newest hotels and they are right there at the exit, i.e. Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard Marriott, Hampton Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites. There's a Cracker Barrell at that exit and you're only 1 exit past all the restaurants on 45.

The old Ramada Inn at Hwy 45 exit was completely remodeled about a year or 2 and is a LaQuinta now, that's where most visiting teams stay so you may or may not want that. Check Airbnb if you like to do that type accomodations, there's some neat lofts downtown and the old high school is now all or mostly lofts too.

Try Anthony's in W Point for Thursday night. Harvey's still going but I think they may be remodeling. Still hard to beat the Old Hickory on 45 for a steak, its old and been there forever but easy to get in and out of. Huck's is downtown Columbus and Zachary's is a few blocks away and has typical bar type food, decent beer selection. Lot's of people like Profit's Porch which is a little bit of a drive but is popular. Mexican Kitchen has been open since the '70s if no longer and that should tell you something. It was my favorite when in school in the 80s.

This is solid advice. The Peeper don't 17 around when it comes to eetin.'

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Good question- Anyone know of restaurant doing Thanksgiving lunch before the game on Thursday in Starkville?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Got a reservation at Taste - wanting to eat somewhere in town before the game.

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010

Try Anthony's in W Point. Harvey's still going but I think they may be remodeling. Still hard to beat the Old Hickory on 45 for a steak, its old and been there forever but easy to get in and out of. Huck's is downtown Columbus and Zachary's is a few blocks away and has typical bar type food, decent beer selection. Lot's of people like Profit's Porch which is a little bit of a drive but is popular. Mexican Kitchen has been open since the '70s if not longer and that should tell you something. It was my favorite when in school in the 80s.

Man, I havent thought about the Mexican Kitchen in 45 years. My gf at the time (71-75) went to the W and we ate there pretty regularly. A Mexican lady with one arm cooked (and I think was the owner). I can't remember her name. Dang good food

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
She actually was the owner and her son (Taco, yeah that's what everybody calls him) and wife own it still and have 2 kids that have worked there. His son still does so it is 3rd generation now.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Bought tickets this morning and I know there will be nowhere to stay in Starkville without looking. We'll be coming up 45 so I figure Columbus is our best bet. Where should we look to stay in Columbus for Thursday night? Or is there somewhere else worth looking at?

Next question - where should we try to get reservations for on Thursday or who is doing reservations? Tyler?

stay at the bed and breakfast on West Point rd about a mile north from old 82 intersection.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
She actually was the owner and her son (Taco, yeah that's what everybody calls him) and wife own it still and have 2 kids that have worked there. His son still does so it is 3rd generation now.

Taco is good peeps. When I coached at Heritage, he did a lot of food for our teams. I want to say he also coached soccer or helped Billy Gip with tennis. They have some sauce/dip that is pretty dang good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login