Elly De La Cruz might be the best I’ve ever seen

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would pump the brakes on calling him the best. He's played 28 games and strikes out almost 1/3 of his at bats. Is he exciting, yes but so was Yasiel Puig when he started with the Dodgers back in 2013. Puig's issues had more to do with off field issues but he was out of baseball in six or seven years.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I would pump the brakes on calling him the best. He's played 28 games and strikes out almost 1/3 of his at bats. Is he exciting, yes but so was Yasiel Puig when he started with the Dodgers back in 2013. Puig's issues had more to do with off field issues but he was out of baseball in six or seven years.
I had forgotten about him. He was exciting.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You misspelled Ohtani.

That’s fair.

But Larkin said De La Cruz could be the first 50 / 50 player in MLB history. Not sure he’ll have enough power (especially from the right), but he’s got a green light to run anytime he’s on. In this AB, he stole 2nd on the first pitch, then 3rd and home on the second pitch.

His arm is crazy strong too.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
That’s fair.

But Larkin said De La Cruz could be the first 50 / 50 player in MLB history. Not sure he’ll have enough power (especially from the right), but he’s got a green light to run anytime he’s on. In this AB, he stole 2nd on the first pitch, then 3rd and home on the second pitch.

His arm is crazy strong too.
Not enough power? He hits 450 ft bombs.

I randomly happened to watch that inning on FS1. I think he actually stole 2nd on the 2nd pitch, and 3rd/home on the fourth (note the count went to 2-2). But your point is correct - absolute green light to steal. The guy is electric. As soon as he was walking past 3B, you just knew he was thinking about stealing home too.

He also had a great AB to drive in the go-ahead run and get to first.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I have no comp yet…really

a less calibrated Griffey Jr

Not educated enough to comp from negro leagues….

Maybe if Michael Jordan would have played MLB baseball at 23years old instead of 33

I don’t know….Eric Davis and his bff Darryl Strawberry …the combination of the two

ZestyJalapeno

Dec 3, 2021
I have no comp yet…really

a less calibrated Griffey Jr

Not educated enough to comp from negro leagues….

Maybe if Michael Jordan would have played MLB baseball at 23years old instead of 33

I don’t know….Eric Davis and his bff Darryl Strawberry …the combination of the two
Mickey Mantle is the comp.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Saw him hit a HR last year against Rocket City that cleared the batter’s eye in center by several feet. There is no video because the cameraman didn’t pan high enough to see the ball

Reactions: 57stratdawg

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
It's a shame he plays from a trash organization like Cinci.

You may not like the Reds, but they have quietly developed one of the better farm systems. They start 3 rookies and have Votto’s heir apparent ready to be called up in AAA.

If they lock down their young talent on cheap long-term contracts like the Braves did and can pick up a starting pitcher or 2, Cincinnati may be at or near the top of the NL Central for a long time.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Elly is exciting to watch and has the hustle in him that some guys need to learn from. Reminds me of a taller, switch hitting Acuna maybe.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Is he wearing a sock puppet on his left hand?

And the thread title says "best I've ever seen", not "best ever'. He could quit playing tomorrow and remain the best that Stratdawg has ever seen.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You may not like the Reds, but they have quietly developed one of the better farm systems. They start 3 rookies and have Votto’s heir apparent ready to be called up in AAA.

If they lock down their young talent on cheap long-term contracts like the Braves did and can pick up a starting pitcher or 2, Cincinnati may be at or near the top of the NL Central for a long time.
They also have Noelvi Marte waiting at SS at AAA. It’s a good problem to have. Their infield is loaded.

I like Benson as a matchup guy in their OF. Senzel has been largely disappointing, but he was the #1 or #2 overall pick.

The future is bright in the Queen City.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
They also have Noelvi Marte waiting at SS at AAA. It’s a good problem to have. Their infield is loaded.

I like Benson as a matchup guy in their OF. Senzel has been largely disappointing, but he was the #1 or #2 overall pick.

The future is bright in the Queen City.
And of course dont forget, State's finest, Logan Tanner at catcher and former MSU signee/first rounder, Austin Hendrick too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login