Embarrassing look for the Cincy Bearcats

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008

Half the junior high football teams in Mississippi and the University of Cincinnati football team will both be equipped by BSN this fall. Too bad Eastbay is out of business, they could’ve used them.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I have worked at several non-P5 schools in athletics, this is very typical of any Nike deal with schools that aren't the big boys. Only certain schools get the direct Nike deal, everyone else has to go through their local BSN rep. Weird now that they are going to be Big 12 though to see this being the case.

Reactions: 17itdawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It sounds like a way to be a Jordan brand school without being a Jordan/Nike school. They're Under Armour today.

Right.

Under Armour has been ending deals with schools the past few years:

Auburn's exclusive negotiating window with Under Armour ends in September-- and they could be a free agent much like Notre Dame is now:

Reactions: Dawgg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't see this being a bad thing for any school.

If BSN is an equipment provider with virtually no directive to provide a specific brand to a school, that could be great. Imagine being a Nike/Jordan/Adidas/UA school. That sounds pretty good to me.

(I fully understand this Cinci deal is a Nike/Jordan play.)

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'd take it above the 3 stripe crap Adidas provided to us over the years that look like they came straight off the backs of a bunch of Euro golfers or futbal (soccer) players

View attachment 341200View attachment 341201

View attachment 341202View attachment 341203View attachment 341205

View attachment 341206View attachment 341207View attachment 341211View attachment 341212

View attachment 341214
Apparel brand and design choice arguments- how SPS gets in touch with its feminine side while still being manly.

The helmet above- why is it bad?
The gloves pic- why is that bad?
The black baseball jersey- why is it bad?
The all white football uniform and helmet- I dont love it, but why is it so bad its worth looking up and citing? Ill take that helmet as an option- its different and isnt offensive or redundant.

The baseball shirt where it says 17TSUN or soemething like that(cant remember) in different colored dots?...thats not great and I assume was created by an Adidas executive's 4 year old child while he played with his Lite Brite toy.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Half the junior high football teams in Mississippi and the University of Cincinnati football team will both be equipped by BSN this fall. Too bad Eastbay is out of business, they could’ve used them.

Seems like they are going to wear some Nike gear. If the uniforms are red and black and BSN can provide Nike uniforms that are red and black, then whats the issue?
If Cincy planned to trot onto the field with BSN branded clothing, then sure this would be embarrassing.
Cincinnati Athletics announced on Wednesday an apparel agreement with BSN SPORTS. Within the deal, Cincinnati has elected to equip its programs in NIKE, Inc. product, effective immediately.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I have worked at several non-P5 schools in athletics, this is very typical of any Nike deal with schools that aren't the big boys. Only certain schools get the direct Nike deal, everyone else has to go through their local BSN rep. Weird now that they are going to be Big 12 though to see this being the case.
This is accurate in my experience with athletics as well mostly at the small d1(i.e. FCS level) and below levels. Still it's very odd for a school that large to go this route, don't you think?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Apparel brand and design choice arguments- how SPS gets in touch with its feminine side while still being manly.

The helmet above- why is it bad?
The gloves pic- why is that bad?
The black baseball jersey- why is it bad?
The all white football uniform and helmet- I dont love it, but why is it so bad its worth looking up and citing? Ill take that helmet as an option- its different and isnt offensive or redundant.

The baseball shirt where it says 17TSUN or soemething like that(cant remember) in different colored dots?...thats not great and I assume was created by an Adidas executive's 4 year old child while he played with his Lite Brite toy.
Our colors aren't silver, they're not gray. They're not pink or any shade of it. They're not gold. We don't have any camo companies that are the "Official camo provider for MSU". And the colors damn sure aren't black, which we wore again this past Sunday for some idiotic reason in Red Stick when the temperature was 91', who does that, who has pitchers out there throwing when its 91' wearing black jerseys?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Our colors aren't silver, they're not gray. They're not pink or any shade of it. They're not gold. We don't have any camo companies that are the "Official camo provider for MSU". And the colors damn sure aren't black, which we wore again this past Sunday for some idiotic reason in Red Stick when the temperature was 91', who does that, who has pitchers out there throwing when its 91' wearing black jerseys?
You do realize we don't even have continuity with shades of maroon.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Oh sweetie, schools often have special/extra uniforms that diverge from their 2 main colors. This is hardly new...have you really never noticed?...or are you really this frustrated even after all these years of alternative uniforms?

Ive been an MSU fan for 25 years and in that time I think I have owned at least a dozen different shades of 'maroon' on various articles of official clothing. We cant even get our main color right, but you are complaining that there may be some silver or gray accent colors on alternative uniforms.

A black basketball uniform with 'State' in cursive is pretty cool to wear a few times in a season.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This is accurate in my experience with athletics as well mostly at the small d1(i.e. FCS level) and below levels. Still it's very odd for a school that large to go this route, don't you think?
There are other schools that large like UNT that use it, but doing it while going to a Power 5 is pretty weird. It sounds like UA left them in the lurch and they were unable to get Nike or Adidas to pony up a direct partnership. I wonder if this is just a bad situation Cincy finds itself in or is this going to be more of the norm going forward for schools outside the Big Ten and SEC. Russell has pretty much left the 'direct supplier' marketplace for colleges and it sounds like UA is doing the same. Soon, it will just be Nike, Adidas, and then Boston College wearing New Balance.

Somebody has to pay for all of the free apparel and cash that Nike and Adidas throw at schools to sign with them, might as well be mid majors, I guess.

Side note: I had a FWB relationship with a woman that worked in marketing at BSN. Their headquarters are here in the DFW area.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I'd take it above the 3 stripe crap Adidas provided to us over the years that look like they came straight off the backs of a bunch of Euro golfers or futbal (soccer) players

View attachment 341206View attachment 341207View attachment 341211View attachment 341212

View attachment 341214
How old are these examples? I'm pretty sure we've sorted Adidas out and they don't push this crap on us anymore.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
You act like we wear whatever Adidas wants to put on us. If we didn't want to wear gray pants, we wouldn't wear gray pants. I, for one, love the gray pants. We look like Texas A&M II without them.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Oh sweetie, schools often have special/extra uniforms that diverge from their 2 main colors. This is hardly new...have you really never noticed?...or are you really this frustrated even after all these years of alternative uniforms?

Ive been an MSU fan for 25 years and in that time I think I have owned at least a dozen different shades of 'maroon' on various articles of official clothing. We cant even get our main color right, but you are complaining that there may be some silver or gray accent colors on alternative uniforms.

A black basketball uniform with 'State' in cursive is pretty cool to wear a few times in a season.
This is some Old Man Yells at Clouds BS from our fanbase.

Reactions: Motodawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Oh all the special crap we have worn for Egg Bowl games, I thought the 2014 helmet and jersey (pictured above)were decent.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Man I hate to be on golfers side but if the players like it, why do fans give a 17?

it’s free and it’s good advertising

MSUSaint15

Oct 18, 2020
Your BSN experience will be as good as the rep you have. Supply will always be an issue with them but if you have a rep that keeps you updated on a consistent basis without having to chase them down it's a decent experience.

Also, a lot of coaches hate when schools have an apparel deal for every sport. Volleyball coaches tend to want to wear Mizuno - swimming too, Women's Soccer wants Nike because they make the best cleats for women, Men's soccer usually wants Adidas, Men's and women's basketball want Nike because the shoes are best for basketball, Cross Country likes Brooks or Asics.

Under Armor's shoes are crap and have led to a lot of injuries, especially for women's teams. Their uniforms also feel cheaply made and they tend to run a size small for a slim fit. IMO, when UA got big and decided to start making shoes/cleats, they should have gone to New Balance and tried to buy them out, then slapped the UA logo on all of their products.

Randomly I remember seeing New Balance football uniforms on a NAIA team a long time ago. Also randomly saw VMI's baseball team wore Reebok way back in 2014.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm late to the party so could some explain the whole BSN thing for me and those who are too afraid to ask
They are a middle man. They represent multiple brands, and until now, worked almost exclusively on the HS level. If Starkville High School wants Nike jerseys, they go to BSN. Not Nike directly.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Yeah, especially as they move into the P5. They must have really wanted to make the Nike move.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Randomly I remember seeing New Balance football uniforms on a NAIA team a long time ago. Also randomly saw VMI's baseball team wore Reebok way back in 2014.
Boston College uses New Balance for everything but Football, which uses adidas. It said in the article that they're the only FBS school with a football only apparel deal. New Balance is headquartered in Boston.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, I'm not understanding why this is embarrassing either.
I don't think it's embarrassing, but outside looking in, it falls at a time when Cincy finally gets their seat at the big boy table. This is a G5 deal made when they're 2 months away from joining a Power 5 and a year removed from a CFP appearance. Outkick used the term 'embarrassing' and I think it's just getting re-parroted here.

My thought is that UA left them in a bind and either they didn't hear what they wanted from Adidas or their deal with Adidas from 2008-2015 left them (or Adidas) with a bad taste in their mouth. My bet is Nike just flatly turned them down, especially if they wanted to be a 'Jordan' brand, and they felt like having the Jordan logo on their basketball jerseys was worth the cost.

Truthfully, in 2-3 months, nobody outside their athletic department will remember that they're the only Big 12 team actually paying for their apparel until/unless they get ready to sign with a new provider.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
that they're the only Big 12 team actually paying for their apparel until/unless they get ready to sign with a new provider.

Ah ok. That makes sense. Clearly I couldn't be bothered to click the link. I actually forgot their was a link by the time I posted the question. Thanks.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly... the gray pinstripe baseball uniform with the maroon numbers and maroon M over S combined with the maroon caps might be my all-time favorite baseball combo:

Reactions: patdog
Jul 26, 2021

View attachment 341214
Lol. I remember most. I’m assuming #2 was for breast cancer awareness? I hope so.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login