Eric Moulds into MSHOF

scotchie42

May 26, 2013
He was a hoot to watch in highschool. My son played with him on the George County high school football team. Eric was primarily considered a basketball prospect in HS until the FB coach talked him into trying his talents at FB. I don't think Eric even knew the rules of footall when he began. He started out as a safety and a kick returner, but every time he touched the ball he would score. He would score more TDs on interception returns and kick returns than our offense was scoring.
Whenever Eric "touched" the ball the George County fans would all stand up...anticipating the fireworks that ususally followed.

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
I was at State when Moulds was there

He was a hoot to watch in highschool. My son played with him on the George County high school football team. Eric was primarily considered a basketball prospect in HS until the FB coach talked him into trying his talents at FB. I don't think Eric even knew the rules of footall when he began. He started out as a safety and a kick returner, but every time he touched the ball he would score. He would score more TDs on interception returns and kick returns than our offense was scoring.
Whenever Eric "touched" the ball the George County fans would all stand up...anticipating the fireworks that ususally followed.

The word was always that the best basketball player on campus played football and this was when Dampier, Darryl Wilson and crew were there.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The word was always that the best basketball player on campus played football and this was when Dampier, Darryl Wilson and crew were there.

Played some with him at the tin gym and yes only Clarence Weatherspoon and Chris Jackson were at his level.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012

Moulds and Super D played pickup together the year Super D had to sit out a year. they were untouchable

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Played some with him at the tin gym and yes only Clarence Weatherspoon and Chris Jackson were at his level.

We were there at the same time, I had a a class with Super D, it was some type of elective and we meet at the Tin Gym. Those were some good years to be at MSU, especially in football and basketball (I wasn't a big baseball fan back then). Had Jackie been 15 years later, he would not have been scared of Saban, although JWS couldn't prepare for a bowl game for shite.

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012

We played their intramural team in the intramural playoffs, and he had about 5 dunks in 10 minutes....only limited by us holding the ball. Needless to say we got smoked, and they won the intramural championship.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I saw those guys roll into the tin gym a few times and play. It wasn't a fair fight for the opponent. That rubber floor in the tin gym always gave me terrible shin splints.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Photo is still surreal. Looks photoshopped but I was there and saw it happen

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was sitting on that north end. I thought Taite threw it out the back of endzone.

And that wasn't even his most amazing catch that day. That catch was him running back to catch Taite's throw at mid field, spin around and make everyone with Crimson on look like a middle school kid running the ball the other way. There were at least two guys following him when he caught it

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
And that wasn't even his most amazing catch that day. That catch was him running back to catch Taite's throw at mid field, spin around and make everyone with Crimson on look like a middle school kid running the ball the other way. There were at least two guys following him when he caught it

If I recall correctly, he also had an electric opening kickoff return from the end zone to about midfield. Followed up by us fumbling it over to Bama on our 2nd play from scrimmage.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
No comments on the Tennessee game where JWS threatened to leave DT in Knoxville if he didn’t throw to Moulds every play? They still couldn’t stop him.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
No comments on the Tennessee game where JWS threatened to leave DT in Knoxville if he didn’t throw to Moulds every play? They still couldn’t stop him.

Another example where Jackie was one quarterback away from having a championship team

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
We had a big return to start that game, but I don't think it was Moulds.

I can't remember who it would have been though.

ETA - Upon further review, it was Kenny Causey.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's the one. I had a hard time seeing because there was actually a huge crowd in stadium and the student section. Word have gotten out about Moulds early in the season and you could tell he was something special even then but that day was special. I got to meet him one time off-campus and he was a really friendly guy.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Erick Dampier was the 10th pick in the draft and had a 16-year NBA career. Only like the 99.9999th percentile of basketball players can claim that. "The word" was full of ****.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Im not sure about v Tennessee in Knoxville 95. But in Starkville 1994, Moulds skyEd for another 4th down pass to keep a drive alive and persevere the win.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login