ESPN: maybe coming to you soon without a TV package...

MississippiTexan

Jun 11, 2014
The easiest way to screw it up will be to price it too high. The article says they get just under $10 per month per customer through carriage fees and ESPN+ is $9.99 a month, so $10 a month is the cheapest it will be. The question is what is the sweet spot that people will pay for an ESPN stand-alone product?

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I can tell you this. SEC Network will not be optional in the states that have a team(s) in that state. So the price will be set to include that cost no matter what state you live in. As well as what is left of the Big 12. You get those 2 networks as part of the ESPN deal and will not be able to get them seperately. Guessing it will be $19.99/month and they will package it with ESPN+ for $24.99/month.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I think people will be willing to pay up to $50 per month for it provided they can shut it off during down months. I'd think people that only want to watch college football would happily pay $300 to watch all of the espn games.

Reactions: onewoof

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think people will be willing to pay up to $50 per month for it provided they can shut it off during down months. I'd think people that only want to watch college football would happily pay $300 to watch all of the espn games.

You can more or less already do that and get a hell of a lot of other channels, too. I certainly wouldn’t pay anything close to $50 for ESPN channels alone. $20-$25 is about the upper limit for what they can expect most folks to shell out for basic package (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC, B1G, ACC).

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
You can more or less already do that and get a hell of a lot of other channels, too. I certainly wouldn’t pay anything close to $50 for ESPN channels alone. $20-$25 is about the upper limit for what they can expect most folks to shell out for basic package (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC, B1G, ACC).
Where can you get that for $50? Asking for a friend

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Some of you guys are absolutely losing your mind these days. Disney made over $3 billion net profit last year. I think they are going to be ok.
After cutting $5.5 billion from their budget and laying off 7000 workers. They aren't going to do anything to negotiate with the Writers Guild and did everything they could to initiate the strike to cut costs now.

"The company faces a media industry in turmoil, plunging cable subscriptions, a still-recovering box office, massive streaming losses, activist shareholders, possible reorganization and layoffs and growing labor disputes with employees." from CNN Business (not FOX).

Wokeism killed Bambi!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
After cutting $5.5 billion from their budget and laying off 7000 workers. They aren't going to do anything to negotiate with the Writers Guild and did everything they could to initiate the strike to cut costs now.

"The company faces a media industry in turmoil, plunging cable subscriptions, a still-recovering box office, massive streaming losses, activist shareholders, possible reorganization and layoffs and growing labor disputes with employees." from CNN Business (not FOX).

Wokeism killed Bambi!
Well I guess we will see how long they can hang on**

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Sling Orange package is $40/mo. Includes all the main ESPN’s and Fox Sports stuff. Can’t tell if SEC / ACC channels are included with that but its hard to imagine they’d be more than $10 to add on, if not.
I'm pretty sure Fox Sports is not included with Orange. Just Espn 1 & 2. Fox Sports is on Blue. And you are right....SEC is another add on.

Reactions: Dawgg and onewoof

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Wokeism killed Bambi!
Would y’all hurry up with this boycott? I’m looking at rooms at Animal Kingdom this summer and I need y’all to stop going to Disney.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Would y’all hurry up with this boycott? I’m looking at rooms at Animal Kingdom this summer and I need y’all to stop going to Disney.
No worries. There will be plenty of 40-ish year old adult children visiting again for the 48th time.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
The easiest way to screw it up will be to price it too high. The article says they get just under $10 per month per customer through carriage fees and ESPN+ is $9.99 a month, so $10 a month is the cheapest it will be. The question is what is the sweet spot that people will pay for an ESPN stand-alone product?
I already pay $20 a month for Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ package. I'd pay 30 if they tacked on real ESPN.
Stand alone I might pay 20 but only for months I want (football and maybe basketball).

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I can tell you this. SEC Network will not be optional in the states that have a team(s) in that state. So the price will be set to include that cost no matter what state you live in. As well as what is left of the Big 12. You get those 2 networks as part of the ESPN deal and will not be able to get them seperately. Guessing it will be $19.99/month and they will package it with ESPN+ for $24.99/month.
I would still probably pay that because college sports are the only reason I subscribe to a live service right now. I couldn't care less about live tv without sports. So I would save money

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I took advantage of the Disney+ / Hulu / ESPN package a couple of years ago and it's been a good deal for me.

If they're smart, Disney will offer the bundle to viewers at a discounted rate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login